Tensions escalated in southern Syria over the weekend as clashes resumed between armed factions in Sweida province, tribal fighters, and government forces in the western countryside, prompting Syrian authorities to temporarily shut the Bosra al-Sham humanitarian corridor.
The move follows the collapse of a recently brokered ceasefire, highlighting deepening internal rifts among group leaders in the Druze-majority region.
The latest outbreak of violence coincided with continued Israeli incursions and raids in Syrian border villages, accompanied by aerial activity in southern airspace.
In an official statement released Sunday, Syrian authorities announced the temporary closure of the Bosra al-Sham corridor, citing security concerns and the need to stabilize the area. The announcement came just hours after a Syrian security source reported that “outlaw groups” had violated the ceasefire agreement, launching attacks on internal security forces and shelling several villages in Sweida’s countryside.
According to the state-run Al-Ikhbariya TV, one member of the internal security forces was killed and several others injured in the renewed fighting. The source said the attacks came as the government was working to restore calm and resume public services in the province.
“The groups outside the law are determined to keep Sweida trapped in a cycle of instability, escalation, and lawlessness, undermining humanitarian relief efforts aimed at assisting civilians,” the source added.
Later in the day, another security official told Al-Ikhbariya that government forces had regained control of key positions in Tal al-Hadid, Rimat Hazem, and Wulgha, all located in western Sweida. The area was secured, and hostilities halted in an effort to preserve the ceasefire framework.
Speaking to Syria TV, Sweida’s internal security chief, Ahmad al-Dalati, described the assault as “a coordinated attack” involving tank shelling, mortars, and heavy machine guns. He confirmed casualties among the security forces and said return fire was ordered. Efforts were also made to re-engage mediators in order to de-escalate the situation.
Dalati asserted that the behavior of these gangs clearly shows that the presence of the state is the only guarantee of security in the province, accusing the armed groups of exploiting their local influence to advance personal and foreign agendas at the expense of national stability.
Last month, Syrian authorities reached a multi-stage ceasefire agreement with armed factions in Sweida, brokered with backing from the United States, Türkiye, and Jordan. The accord followed deadly clashes between Bedouin tribal fighters and local militias.
According to the Syrian Network for Human Rights, the violence in Sweida since July 13 has claimed at least 814 lives, including 34 women, 20 children, six medical workers, and two media personnel.