Hunger, Death and Displacement: Gaza Journalists in the Line of Fire

Portrait of journalist Ibrahim Qanan (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Portrait of journalist Ibrahim Qanan (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Hunger, Death and Displacement: Gaza Journalists in the Line of Fire

Portrait of journalist Ibrahim Qanan (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Portrait of journalist Ibrahim Qanan (Asharq Al-Awsat)

In a haunting post that echoed the agony of countless others, the widow of a Palestinian journalist killed by Israeli fire in Gaza described the daily torment of trying — and failing — to feed her children.

Her husband, the family’s sole breadwinner, was killed while covering the early days of the war that erupted in October 2023.

He was not the only journalist to die. Several of his colleagues — freelancers for local and international outlets — fell alongside him.

The widow’s anguished words sparked an outpouring of support from fellow journalists, who quickly raised thousands of shekels in donations. But her story opened the floodgates to similar accounts of loss and hardship among the families of other journalists killed or injured in the conflict.

Many of these families have been left without income or compensation. Freelancers working on daily contracts often have no legal protections or financial entitlements if they are killed, injured, or otherwise incapacitated.

From the first day of the war, journalists in Gaza have found themselves in the crosshairs of relentless Israeli bombardment that has killed, displaced and starved thousands across the enclave.

‘We live with death, moment by moment’

Veteran journalist Ibrahim Qanan, a fixture of Gaza’s media landscape for three decades, described the current war as the most brutal he has ever covered. He said journalists in Gaza are under constant threat — not only from direct targeting, but also from attacks on their workplaces, broadcast vehicles, personal cars, tents and homes.

“In addition to the danger on the field, we work without electricity, water, or internet,” Qanan told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Over the past four months, the hardships have multiplied. Food has become scarce and prohibitively expensive. Bread, eggs and poultry have largely vanished from the market. Some journalists go days without a meal.

But hunger is only part of the ordeal.

“There is no safety here,” Qanan said. “Every few days, a journalist is killed or wounded. We feel like we’re being targeted around the clock. We live in fear and anxiety. Even with press vests and helmets, we don’t feel protected.”

According to the latest figures from the Palestinian Journalists Syndicate, at least 232 journalists have been killed in Gaza since October 7, 2023.

Qanan was among the first to be wounded in the war. He had been preparing for a live broadcast near Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Younis when an Israeli strike hit an ambulance nearby. He and several colleagues were wounded.

“For a few seconds, I thought death had come for me,” he said. “When I regained consciousness, I realized I had shrapnel near my heart. Four hours later, I was back on air — still bleeding.”

Despite the injuries and repeated close calls, Qanan continues to report from the frontlines. “Journalism is a humanitarian mission,” he said. “We believe in what we do.”

"We carry the suffering of a nation"

Like millions of other Gazans, journalists have been repeatedly displaced by the war. But Qanan said they cannot afford to stop working.

“There is no safe place in Gaza,” he said. “But we must continue. We owe it to the people. We are exhausted, hungry and thirsty — but we are their voice and the voice of every journalist who could not enter Gaza.”

Starving for truth

For journalist Madeline Shaqallah, who once hosted a popular morning radio show, the war has meant loss on every level. Now reporting for an Arab television channel, she has been displaced several times and has lost several relatives — including her sister and her children — in Israeli strikes.

“I didn’t even get to say goodbye,” she told Asharq Al-Awsat, recalling how they were killed in northern Gaza while she was sheltering in the south.

Shaqallah never imagined the war would last this long. Her home has been reduced to rubble, but she has not stopped reporting.

“Everything is painful. But our message must be delivered,” she said.

She described the worsening famine as unbearable — especially for the elderly and children. She said many journalists have collapsed from exhaustion and hunger during coverage.

“I hope this war ends,” she said. “Israel is using hunger as a weapon. When someone says, ‘I haven’t eaten,’ believe them — it’s true. What’s happening in Gaza is beyond what anyone can endure.”

Last month alone, at least four journalists were admitted to hospitals, including Nasser Medical Complex, after fainting from hunger. Some had gone days with nothing but a few grains of rice to share with their families.

Wasting away

Anyone who followed Gaza’s media scene before the war would immediately notice the emaciated faces of many of its reporters and cameramen today.

Journalist Abdullah Miqdad said Gaza’s reporters are suffering the same physical toll as everyone else — from chronic headaches to dangerous weight loss. Some can no longer stand long enough for live coverage.

Miqdad has been displaced numerous times. He didn’t see his family for nearly two months after the war began because of continuous field coverage. When he finally did, it was only briefly.

Eventually, he made the difficult decision to send his family abroad — choosing painful separation over the risk of death.

“I miss them terribly,” he said, his voice cracking.

Miqdad called the current conflict “the worst journalists in Gaza have ever faced,” noting that their families, like everyone else’s, have been targeted in Israeli airstrikes.

“We’re barely able to feed ourselves,” he said.

"I hurt when I film the hungry — because I am one of them"

Journalist Amer Sultan was displaced from northern Gaza to the south, only to lose several family members — including siblings — in an Israeli airstrike.

“There’s a burning pain in my heart,” he said.

Despite it all, Sultan continues to document the suffering of others. “Like everyone else, we survive on a quarter of a meal a day — if we’re lucky.”

He added: “It breaks my heart to see the hunger in people’s eyes. When I film them, I feel their pain. And when the camera is off, I’m just like them — hungry, empty-handed.”

 



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.