Lebanon: Hezbollah Confronts Disarmament Decision with 'Measured Objection’

Supporters of Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group block the streets with burning tires as they rally in cars and motorbikes to protest the government's endorsement of a plan to disarm it, in Beirut's southern suburbs early on August 8, 2025.  (Photo by Ibrahim AMRO / AFP)
Supporters of Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group block the streets with burning tires as they rally in cars and motorbikes to protest the government's endorsement of a plan to disarm it, in Beirut's southern suburbs early on August 8, 2025. (Photo by Ibrahim AMRO / AFP)
TT

Lebanon: Hezbollah Confronts Disarmament Decision with 'Measured Objection’

Supporters of Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group block the streets with burning tires as they rally in cars and motorbikes to protest the government's endorsement of a plan to disarm it, in Beirut's southern suburbs early on August 8, 2025.  (Photo by Ibrahim AMRO / AFP)
Supporters of Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group block the streets with burning tires as they rally in cars and motorbikes to protest the government's endorsement of a plan to disarm it, in Beirut's southern suburbs early on August 8, 2025. (Photo by Ibrahim AMRO / AFP)

Lebanon’s “duo”, Hezbollah and Amal parties, approach with “realism” the government’s decision to bring weapons under the state’s control and end all armed presence across Lebanese territory.

Despite the escalatory rhetoric that pro-Hezbollah individuals and officials are displaying, the early indicators seen during Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting and the second session on Thursday, suggest that Hezbollah, which had already agreed to the terms of the ceasefire, is aware of the new limits set by the shifting balance of power in recent weeks.

Although Hezbollah and Amal ministers have walked out of the Cabinet meeting during discussions of the US proposal to disarm the party, the ministers assured that they would not resign from the Cabinet.

Meanwhile, the “duo’s” protests on Thursday in opposition to the government decision were limited and confined to Beirut’s southern suburbs - Hezbollah’s stronghold. The Lebanese Army was on high alert, preventing demonstrators from moving into surrounding areas. The leadership of Amal has notably issued a firm and decisive statement calling on its supporters not to take part in the protests.

On Thursday, the government approved part of the proposal presented by US envoy Thomas Barrack, agreeing to end all armed presence across Lebanese territory - including that of Hezbollah - and to deploy the Lebanese Army in the border areas.

No Resignation from Government. No Organizational Decision Regarding Popular Demonstrations

Ministers affiliated with Hezbollah and Amal were keen not to escalate rhetoric after Thursday’s Cabinet meeting.

Amal parliamentary sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that there is no organizational decision by the Hezbollah-Amal alliance to escalate measures, whether politically or through popular mobilization. “The calls circulating on social media for protests and gatherings are spontaneous and not endorsed by any official party” they said.

The sources also affirmed that “there is no decision to resign from the government or move toward a point of no return. On the contrary, there is a strong desire to find solutions that spare the country an avoidable political crisis”.

On the other hand, ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Hezbollah and Amal plan no political or popular escalation and that the ministers’ withdrawal from the Cabinet meeting was only to protest the timing. “They want the Israeli withdrawal from five contentious points in Lebanon to take place before the disarmament of Hezbollah”, they noted.

“The decision has been made, and undoubtedly its implementation will not be easy mainly for a party that has possessed arms and power decision-making for the last 40 years. But a solution must be reached. It is in no one’s interest to confront the logic of the state with violence. They need to recognize that the situation has changed, and time will make that clear”, stated the sources.

Amal-affiliated Environment Minister Tamara Al-Zein said in a televised address: “No one can outbid us on this. Our objection was never to tasking the Lebanese Army. Rather, the agreement touches on Lebanon’s sovereignty and requires broader consultations and national consensus.”

Hezbollah Has No Options But to Act with ‘Realism’

Amid the local and regional developments, Dr. Sami Nader, Director of the Levant Institute for Strategic Affairs, believes that Hezbollah has come to realize that the balance of power in the region has shifted, and what was once possible is no longer feasible today.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, Nader said the regional landscape has shifted, and Hezbollah no longer possesses a surplus of power following the systematic destruction it has endured and the assassination of its leaders following Israel’s war in 2024.

He said Hezbollah has come to realize that its options are limited, a realization that came evident during the formation of the government, when the Hezbollah-Amal alliance lost its blocking third.

He said that Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri has also realized the extent of these changes and understands the need to deal with them realistically, despite the narrowing room for political maneuvering.

Nader also pointed to the internal Lebanese situation saying that the political game has changed its course in the Mediterranean country with the election of President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam. Both have taken firm and decisive decisions, “something that came as a surprise to some and represents a new dynamic in Lebanon’s political equation”.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.