US Forces in Baghdad Adjust to ‘Potential War’

A photo from Ain al-Asad base in Anbar, Iraq, December 29, 2019 (Reuters)
A photo from Ain al-Asad base in Anbar, Iraq, December 29, 2019 (Reuters)
TT

US Forces in Baghdad Adjust to ‘Potential War’

A photo from Ain al-Asad base in Anbar, Iraq, December 29, 2019 (Reuters)
A photo from Ain al-Asad base in Anbar, Iraq, December 29, 2019 (Reuters)

The US military in Iraq is shifting its posture amid rising tensions between Iran and Israel, even as Tehran grows frustrated with Baghdad’s reluctance to take sides.

Iranian National Security Council Secretary Ali Larijani recently left the Iraqi capital without what he described as “reassuring answers” to Tehran’s request for help in tightening border security in the event of conflict.

According to well-informed sources, the adjustments underway do not represent a departure from the US–Iraq agreement reached last September, which stipulates the withdrawal of several hundred American troops by September 2025, with the remainder scheduled to depart by the end of 2026. What is more likely, they added, is that Washington’s advisory role will ensure a continued, even if reduced, US presence in Iraq even after the drawdown.

Realignment of Forces

A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, stressed that Washington is not implementing fundamental changes to its presence in Iraq. He said that any expected incidents over the coming months would remain within the framework of the 2024 security agreement with Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani’s government.

Still, the official confirmed that US forces are being repositioned across bases in Iraq and the broader region. “It’s not a large-scale operation,” he said, “but it responds carefully to a new security risk map in Iraq and its surroundings.” He declined to elaborate on the nature of those risks or their geographic location.

Political sources in Baghdad, however, suggested that Tehran has privately signaled Iraqi factions about the possibility of a new confrontation with Israel and the United States. Yet many in Iraq’s political class appear hesitant to align with Iran’s more confrontational posture. Earlier this month, Asharq al-Awsat reported that Iranian envoys had urged Iraqi militias to resist disarmament and prepare for renewed hostilities.

American officials believe that their troop movements are partly a response to Tehran’s recent maneuvers - both political and military - including attempts to “rebuild military capabilities.” A leaked internal document dated July 27 revealed that Kataib Hezbollah, one of the most powerful Iraqi militias, has been preparing for possible escalation inside Iraq or beyond its borders.

Activity at Ain al-Asad

In recent weeks, the Ain al-Asad airbase west of Baghdad has seen a flurry of activity. Sources reported that heavy logistical equipment was packed and stored there, while sensitive assets such as early-warning systems and radar units were transferred to undisclosed locations, believed to be other US bases in the region.

Though the exact destinations remain unclear, officials suggest the redeployment is part of the broader repositioning strategy. The movement of critical air-defense systems underscores Washington’s concern about the possibility of sudden flare-ups.

An Iraqi official confirmed to Asharq al-Awsat that the US withdrawal timetable remains unchanged and that no acceleration has been discussed despite regional turmoil. “Even the 12-day war did not alter the terms or schedule,” the official noted, referring to the brief but intense confrontation earlier this summer.

A senior political adviser in Baghdad argued that Washington is unlikely to embrace a full departure under current conditions. “Iraq may no longer offer the Americans a lucrative strategic opportunity, but it remains a zone of geopolitical leverage in their contest with Iran,” he said.

Iran Frustrated in Baghdad

While Washington pressures Baghdad to resist legislation that would further entrench the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), Tehran has struggled to rally Iraq’s official institutions. This imbalance of influence was evident during Larijani’s recent visit.

Iran’s security chief proposed Iraqi assistance in securing the shared border, citing evidence that fighters, equipment, and technology had crossed into Iran during and before the 12-day conflict with Israel. But Baghdad pushed back, telling him bluntly that Iraq lacks the capacity to succeed where even Tehran’s formidable intelligence and military structures had fallen short. Sources said Larijani “was not pleased” by the response.

On August 11, Larijani and Iraqi National Security Adviser Qasim al-Araji signed a memorandum of understanding aimed at tightening border control and curbing smuggling. The agreement drew objections from Washington. Araji later defended it in a meeting with US chargé d’affaires Steven Fagin, insisting that Iraq acts “on the basis of its supreme national interests” and as a fully sovereign state.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.