Egypt Warns of Water Scarcity as Ethiopia Sets to Open Dam

Ethiopia’s Renaissance Dam (Ethiopian News Agency)
Ethiopia’s Renaissance Dam (Ethiopian News Agency)
TT

Egypt Warns of Water Scarcity as Ethiopia Sets to Open Dam

Ethiopia’s Renaissance Dam (Ethiopian News Agency)
Ethiopia’s Renaissance Dam (Ethiopian News Agency)

Ethiopia will inaugurate its Grand Renaissance Dam on the Blue Nile 14 years after construction began, despite the absence of an agreement with downstream countries Egypt and Sudan and amid repeated warnings from Cairo over mounting water scarcity.

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed is scheduled to preside over the ceremony for the $4.2 billion hydropower project, built on the Nile’s main tributary to generate electricity, according to Agence France-Presse.

“The dam is proof of Ethiopia’s strength. It is not only a national project but a historic achievement for the whole of Africa,” Abiy told delegates at the African Climate Summit in Addis Ababa on Monday, the Ethiopian News Agency reported.

Egypt, which depends on the Nile for nearly all its freshwater needs, says the dam threatens its already scarce supplies. Water Resources and Irrigation Minister Hani Sewilam said Egypt ranks among the world’s most water-stressed countries, with annual per capita availability of just 560 cubic meters, far below the global water poverty threshold of 1,000 cubic meters.

Ahead of Cairo’s Eighth Water Week conference in October, Sewilam said his ministry had introduced measures to cushion shortages, including upgrading irrigation systems, using smart technologies, and expanding the treatment and reuse of agricultural drainage water.

Ethiopia denies the dam poses any danger. Abiy said last week it would not threaten downstream states, but hinted at further projects. “Ethiopia has started with one project, but it can build more dams in the Nile basin,” he said.

Egypt’s Options

Cairo sees three possible courses of action, according to Salah Halima, a former ambassador and member of the Egyptian Council for Foreign Affairs: intensify pressure on Addis Ababa to sign a legally binding agreement on the dam’s operation; accept international mediation, possibly from the United States; or take the dispute to the UN Security Council.

Under Chapter VI of the UN Charter, the Council can recommend peaceful settlement through negotiation and mediation but cannot impose binding measures. Chapter VII authorizes coercive steps, including sanctions or military action, to preserve international peace and security.

Halima told Asharq al-Awsat newspaper that Cairo could turn to the Council to test the dam’s safety standards, highlight geological studies, and argue that unilateral operation without a legal deal endangers both downstream states.

The Security Council urged Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan in 2021 to resume African Union-led talks to reach a binding agreement within a reasonable timeframe, but the process stalled.

Egypt’s then-foreign minister wrote to the Council in September last year, rejecting what he called Ethiopia’s unilateral actions in violation of international law and the 2015 Declaration of Principles signed by the three states.

Risk of Confrontation

Former Egyptian deputy foreign minister for Sudan affairs Hossam Issa warned Ethiopia’s refusal to compromise could fuel regional tensions.

“Addis Ababa’s unilateral measures on the Nile and its escalation with neighbors, whether Somalia, Eritrea or Sudan, could eventually lead to confrontation,” he said. “There is no justification for storing this amount of water when Ethiopia already enjoys abundant rainfall. The real aim is to control the Nile and provoke the downstream states.”

He said Cairo was coordinating diplomatic pressure with Sudan and neighboring countries to force a policy shift in Addis Ababa.

Egypt and Sudan last week held a joint “2+2” meeting of their foreign and water ministers in Cairo, where they reiterated opposition to unilateral moves in the eastern Nile basin. A joint statement said the Renaissance Dam “poses a real threat to regional stability.”



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.