Lebanon PM Mends Ties with Berri: ‘Decisions Will Be Implemented, No Turning Back’

Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri receives Prime Minister Nawaf Salam at his residence (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri receives Prime Minister Nawaf Salam at his residence (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Lebanon PM Mends Ties with Berri: ‘Decisions Will Be Implemented, No Turning Back’

Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri receives Prime Minister Nawaf Salam at his residence (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri receives Prime Minister Nawaf Salam at his residence (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam has set out a new mechanism for developing a “national security strategy” to be decided solely through constitutional institutions rather than political dialogues.

Reaffirming his government’s resolve, Salam declared: “There’s no turning back from decisions. We will move ahead with their implementation.”

His statement came after meeting with Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, in a visit seen as closing a chapter of political strain triggered by the government’s August 5 decision to enforce the state’s exclusive authority over weapons. That policy had sparked friction with Hezbollah and its ally, the Amal Movement led by Berri.

The encounter followed Berri’s earlier meeting with President Joseph Aoun at Baabda Palace. According to government sources, the meetings that came after the last cabinet session helped ease political tensions between the two sides.

Speaking after Tuesday’s talks, Salam denied any tension with the speaker: Our relationship is permanent.”

The premier said he hoped to see progress on US envoy Tom Barrack’s proposal on the implementation of the terms of a November 2024 ceasefire deal, which calls for withdrawals, prisoner releases, and broader security measures.

He underscored that the government’s foundation remains the Taif Accord, which mandates state sovereignty across Lebanese territory. “The ministerial statement clearly affirms the exclusivity of arms under the state and the state’s control over decisions of war and peace,” he said.

On Hezbollah’s weapons, Salam noted that the government is bound by its policy statement, which was twice endorsed by parliament, including by Hezbollah lawmakers. He added that the army’s plan to address the issue will be reviewed monthly: “There will be no backtracking on the decisions. Implementation will continue.”

The Army Plan

On August 5, the cabinet instructed the army to draw up a disarmament plan for Hezbollah by year’s end. Army commander Rodolphe Haykal presented it on September 5, prompting Hezbollah and Amal ministers to walk out. While the plan does not adhere to the strict timetable originally set, Hezbollah insists on negotiating a comprehensive defense strategy through national dialogue.

Salam countered that the government has committed not to a defense strategy but a broader national security strategy that spans multiple sectors. “Decisions are taken exclusively in constitutional institutions, not inside talks,” he emphasized.

He also called for greater international support for the armed forces, citing their huge responsibilities. The government, he said, hopes for a donor conference similar to the Rome meeting previously backed by French President Emmanuel Macron.

Disarmament in Phases

Foreign Minister Youssef Raji disclosed that the army’s plan foresees removing weapons from the southern border area within three months. By the end of November, he said, all armed presence south of the Litani River - some 30 kilometers from the Israeli border - should be eliminated.

The plan’s subsequent phases will extend to other regions, including Beirut and the Bekaa Valley, though without set deadlines.

The army will "tighten and increase the number of checkpoints, prevent the movement and carrying of weapons... but without conducting raids, arresting individuals, or confiscating weapons from warehouses," Raji added.

Raji insisted, in remarks to AFP, that Lebanon’s commitment to exclusive state control over arms is rooted in its constitution, the Taif Accord, and the government’s own program - not in US mediation.

He accused Israel of failing to show reciprocal commitment, saying Lebanon continues to exert diplomatic pressure for Israeli withdrawal from southern territory.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.