Sources to Asharq Al-Awsat: PA Arrests Businessman who Pitched Himself as Gaza Governor

Businessman Samir Hulileh (Facebook)
Businessman Samir Hulileh (Facebook)
TT

Sources to Asharq Al-Awsat: PA Arrests Businessman who Pitched Himself as Gaza Governor

Businessman Samir Hulileh (Facebook)
Businessman Samir Hulileh (Facebook)

Palestinian security forces have arrested businessman Samir Hulileh, who last month presented himself as a possible governor of Gaza, Palestinian security sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Preventive Security Service detained Hulileh on Wednesday in Ramallah, days after he returned from a trip abroad. The arrest took place inside a restaurant in the city’s al-Tira neighborhood, they added.

The sources did not specify the charges against Hulileh, saying only that the move came on “high-level orders.” Israeli public broadcaster Kan reported that Hulileh had recently been under close watch over his reported involvement in discussions about Gaza’s post-war administration.

Hulileh stirred controversy weeks ago when he declared himself a candidate to run Gaza with US backing, saying he had raised the proposal several times with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

The Palestinian Authority (PA) swiftly rejected the claim in a statement last month, calling his remarks “lies” and accusing him of trying to drag the leadership into an Israeli project aimed at separating Gaza from the West Bank. The presidency said Gaza’s administration is solely a matter for the PA and its government.

Officials later warned Hulileh to step back, describing the initiative as linked to “suspicious” and “intelligence” circles. Abbas himself privately told him early on to distance himself from the issue, sources said.

His detention signals that the PA will not tolerate any attempt to form alternative arrangements for governing Gaza, even by Palestinians, outside its official framework. Abbas has repeatedly insisted the PA will resume governing Gaza after the war, while welcoming possible Arab or international participation.

The debate began after Israel’s Yedioth Ahronoth daily reported last month on behind-the-scenes contacts to appoint Hulileh as Gaza’s administrator. Hulileh confirmed the report, saying he had long been in touch with various actors on Gaza and that a Canadian contractor working with Washington had reached out to him months ago about managing the territory after the war.

While he said he would only take on such a role with Palestinian, Arab and international consent, Hulileh did not back away from the idea. In an interview with Kan, he urged both the PA and Hamas to put the Palestinian people’s interests first.

Hulileh, a prominent economist, served as secretary-general of the Palestinian government under the late Ahmed Qurei in 2005. He has chaired the Palestine Economic Policy Research Institute, the Palestinian Trade Center (PalTrade), and the Palestinian stock exchange. He also took part in the Palestinian negotiating team that handled the economic files of the Oslo Accords with Israel.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.