Five Takeaways on Netanyahu’s Moves after Qatar Strike

Five Takeaways on Netanyahu’s Moves after Qatar Strike
TT

Five Takeaways on Netanyahu’s Moves after Qatar Strike

Five Takeaways on Netanyahu’s Moves after Qatar Strike

Many details of Israel’s attempt to assassinate Hamas leaders in Qatar will become clearer once the full results emerge.

But even as Israeli officials began acknowledging disappointment that Hamas’ leadership survived, they stressed the operation was meant to yield “deterrence gains” and pointed to what they call the “Munich approach,” a doctrine dating back to 1972 when Israel hunted down members of the Palestinian Black September group behind the killing of 11 Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics.

Today, more than half a century later and after over 63,000 deaths in Gaza, Israel says it is striking back for the October 7, 2023 Hamas-led assault.

‘Munich in our era’

Israeli leaders hailed the Doha raid as a precision mission before its outcome became clear, comparing it to the killings of Hezbollah commanders and Iranian Revolutionary Guard officers. They spoke of “surgical strikes” involving 15 fighter jets, refueling aircraft, and precision-guided munitions.

But after Hamas declared its leaders had survived, Israeli officials shifted to urging patience while DNA tests confirmed casualties, before admitting privately to frustration. Military commentators framed the setback as a tactical hiccup while still claiming strategic benefits: Hamas leaders, they argued, would now feel hunted and restricted.

Former Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar reportedly described the operation as “Munich in our era,” echoing Golda Meir’s 1972 order to eliminate those behind the Olympic attack. Netanyahu, for his part, said Israel had targeted Hamas leaders “in the same place they celebrated October 7” - a statement contradicted by evidence that the group’s thanksgiving prayers took place in Türkiye, not Qatar.

A pre-approved hit list

According to Israeli media, the decision to assassinate Hamas’ top echelon was taken on Oct. 8, 2023. The Shin Bet was tasked with the campaign, which began with the killing of Saleh al-Arouri in Beirut, followed by Ismail Haniyeh, Yahya al-Sinwar, Mohammed Deif and Mohammed al-Sinwar.

Last week, army chief Eyal Zamir warned Hamas leaders abroad they would not be safe. Shortly after, Netanyahu ordered the Doha strike once intelligence indicated Hamas figures were meeting in the Qatari capital. Some senior officials, including the army’s representative to hostage talks, opposed the timing, fearing it would derail negotiations over Israeli captives. Netanyahu overruled them.

Multiple objectives

Analysts say the Qatar operation was designed to achieve several goals: reinforcing Israel’s image as the dominant military power in the Middle East, showcasing its reach against adversaries from Hezbollah to the Houthis

US angle and blame game

Netanyahu initially claimed the Doha strike was an exclusively Israeli operation, a line Israeli officials said was pressed by Washington to limit American exposure. US officials, according to Israeli leaks, were briefed but later distanced themselves once Arab outrage spread.

Seeking to deflect responsibility for the mission’s failure, Netanyahu’s allies suggested US President Donald Trump tipped off Qatar about the raid, allowing Hamas leaders to flee moments before the bombs hit.

Political fallout

Israeli sources now fear Trump could use the episode to recalibrate his Arab diplomacy, potentially demanding concessions from Netanyahu to reassure allies like Qatar that Washington does not condone strikes on their soil. Such a shift could revive pressure for a ceasefire and political talks.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.