Top Trump Africa Aide: Sudan’s Warring Parties Near Talks

US President Donald Trump and his senior advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos (Reuters) 
US President Donald Trump and his senior advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos (Reuters) 
TT

Top Trump Africa Aide: Sudan’s Warring Parties Near Talks

US President Donald Trump and his senior advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos (Reuters) 
US President Donald Trump and his senior advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos (Reuters) 

Warring parties in Sudan are nearing direct talks to end one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises, according to Massad Boulos, President Donald Trump’s senior advisor for Africa.

The US is holding discussions with the Sudanese military and their Rapid Support Forces opponents to agree on general principles for the negotiations, Boulos told reporters in New York at the annual United Nations General Assembly meetings.

“The status quo is such that nobody has the upper hand so they’re both ready to talk,” Boulos said. “Hopefully we should be able to announce something very soon,” he said according to Bloomberg agency.

Trump’s advisor also noted that hundreds of thousands of people are trapped in the besieged city of El Fasher, the capital of Sudan’s North Darfur state, where fighting between the army and the RSF has intensified in recent months.

The RSF has agreed to allow aid trucks into the city, and some deliveries have already started flowing, Boulos said. “It’s taking shape as we speak.”

He then expressed cautious hope that the warring parties in Sudan would soon sit at the negotiating table, although years of diplomatic efforts have so far failed to halt a war that has shattered the country and triggered the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

The US has been working with Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt to end the conflict, which broke out in 2023. The four nations released a proposal earlier this month for an immediate three-month ceasefire to be followed by a permanent one.

“Sudan, very sadly, is today the world's biggest humanitarian catastrophe. Nothing is comparable to ... what has happened in the last two and a half years. And yet nobody talks about that,” said Boulos.

He spoke following a meeting of the so-called “Quad” countries – the US, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and the UAE, on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly.

At least 150,000 people may have been killed since then, according to US estimates, in what’s been called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis and a threat to regional stability.

About half of Sudan’s 45 million citizens are facing extreme hunger and more than half a million children have died from malnutrition, according to the UN.

Also, a statement issued at the ministerial meeting on 'Joint Efforts for De-escalation in Sudan,' urged Sudan's warring parties to resume direct talks for a permanent ceasefire and pledged further action to support peace efforts.

The meeting convened Wednesday on the sidelines of the 80th session of the UN General Assembly in New York. It saw the participation of representatives from the UN, the Arab League, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), the foreign ministers of France, Germany and the UK, in addition to representatives from several countries, including Saudi Arabia, Canada, Türkiye, Egypt, Djibouti, Chad, Denmark, Qatar, the US, Kenya, Libya Norway, Switzerland, the UAE and Ethiopia.

In the statement, foreign interference in Sudan’s conflict was strongly condemned, with a call on all state and non-state actors to halt military and financial support in line with UN Security Council resolutions.

The ministers reaffirmed commitment to Sudan's sovereignty and unity, rejected parallel governing bodies, and called for an inclusive transition led by the Sudanese people.

They demanded respect for human rights and humanitarian law, urged compliance with the Jeddah Declaration, and supported accountability efforts by the UN Fact-Finding Mission and the International Criminal Court.

 

 



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.