Foreign Doctors in Gaza Describe Worst Wounds 'They've Ever Seen'

Palestinians carry the body of Hassan Nasr, 12, from the rubble of his relatives home, which was hit by an Israeli military strike in Zawaida, central Gaza Strip, Thursday, Sept. 25, 2025. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
Palestinians carry the body of Hassan Nasr, 12, from the rubble of his relatives home, which was hit by an Israeli military strike in Zawaida, central Gaza Strip, Thursday, Sept. 25, 2025. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
TT

Foreign Doctors in Gaza Describe Worst Wounds 'They've Ever Seen'

Palestinians carry the body of Hassan Nasr, 12, from the rubble of his relatives home, which was hit by an Israeli military strike in Zawaida, central Gaza Strip, Thursday, Sept. 25, 2025. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
Palestinians carry the body of Hassan Nasr, 12, from the rubble of his relatives home, which was hit by an Israeli military strike in Zawaida, central Gaza Strip, Thursday, Sept. 25, 2025. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)

International doctors and nurses who treated Palestinians in Gazan hospitals described wounds more severe than civilians had suffered in other modern conflicts, according to a peer-reviewed study published Friday.

For the research in the leading medical journal BMJ, 78 humanitarian healthcare workers mostly from Europe and North America answered survey questions describing the severity, location and cause of the wounds they saw during their stints in the Gaza Strip.

The British-led team of researchers said it is the most comprehensive data available about Palestinian injuries during Israel's nearly two-year offensive against militant group Hamas, given that the territory's health facilities have been devastated and international access is heavily restricted.

Two thirds of the healthcare workers had previously deployed to other conflict zones, the vast majority of whom said the injuries in Gaza were "the worst thing that they've ever seen", the study's lead author, British surgeon Omar El-Taji, told AFP.

Up to three months after they returned from Gaza, the doctors and nurses -- aided by log books and shift records -- filled out a survey about the injuries they saw during deployments lasting from two to 12 weeks between August 2024 and February 2025.

They catalogued more than 23,700 trauma injuries and nearly 7,000 wounds caused by weapons -- numbers which broadly echoed data from the World Health Organization, the study said.

'Unusually severe'

It is difficult to get data about injuries in any conflict, but the study described the wounds in Gaza as "unusually severe".

In the territory, which has been relentlessly bombed and shelled by the Israeli military, over two thirds of the weapon-related injuries were caused by explosions, according to the study.

That is more than double the rate of explosive injuries recorded among civilians in other modern conflicts, the study said.

Instead, it was similar to the rate suffered by US soldiers during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, it added.

El-Taji emphasized this was a "really significant" difference, because unlike civilians, soldiers have training and protection, and know that they are headed towards danger.

"The volume, distribution, and military grade severity of injuries, indicate patterns of harm that exceed those reported in previous modern-day conflicts," the study said.

El-Taji said patients also had an uncommonly "huge" proportion of third- and fourth-degree burns, which are burns that go through the skin.

When he deployed to Gaza last year, El-Taji said he saw a shocking "amount of children that came in with burns so severe that you could literally see their muscle and see their bone".

Malnutrition and dehydration were the most commonly reported illnesses in the territory, where UN-backed assessment declared famine in August.

Anthony Bull, a professor at Imperial College London's Center for Blast Injury Studies who was not involved in the research, told AFP that "this is a very important piece of work".

Bull pointed out that the data only includes wounded people who "survived to the point of seeing a healthcare worker".

'The worst part'

The survey also had a section allowing the healthcare workers to write freely about what they had witnessed.

"The worst part was mothers begging us to save their already-dead children," one physician was cited as saying.

Others described children "expressing suicidal intent" after watching family members die.

Many described operating in dire circumstances with almost no supplies or support, a situation that led to decisions about how to ration care for the patients most likely to survive.

El-Taji arrived at the Gaza European Hospital in May last year, just days before Israel launched a major invasion in the neighboring southern city of Rafah.

For nights on end, groups of up to 70 seriously wounded people came to the hospital, he said.

One night El-Taji and other doctors and nurses gave blood to make up for dwindling supplies, he said.

The war was triggered by the October 7, 2023 attack by Palestinian militant group Hamas on Israel that resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to official data.

Israel's retaliatory campaign in Gaza has killed more than 65,500 people, also mostly civilians, according to figures from the Hamas-run territory's health ministry that the UN considers reliable.

More than 167,000 Gazans have been injured, according to the health ministry.

El-Taji lamented that international healthcare workers have been increasingly barred from Gaza.

In August, the WHO's representative in the Palestinian territories, Rik Peeperkorn, said that this "arbitrary denial" was leading to more preventable deaths.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.