Trump Shifts Course, Pressures Netanyahu to End Gaza War

A man holds a sign calling for an end to the bombing of children during a protest against Netanyahu in New York on Friday. (AFP)
A man holds a sign calling for an end to the bombing of children during a protest against Netanyahu in New York on Friday. (AFP)
TT

Trump Shifts Course, Pressures Netanyahu to End Gaza War

A man holds a sign calling for an end to the bombing of children during a protest against Netanyahu in New York on Friday. (AFP)
A man holds a sign calling for an end to the bombing of children during a protest against Netanyahu in New York on Friday. (AFP)

The administration of US President Donald Trump has shifted course and started pressing Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to bring an end to the war on Gaza.

Well-informed Israeli sources confirmed that Trump has decided to push for a ceasefire and is now urging Netanyahu to secure approval for a proposal that Hamas has already reviewed.

Israel’s public broadcaster Kan revealed parts of discussions between Netanyahu and Trump’s envoys ahead of the two leaders’ planned meeting at the White House on Monday.

According to the report, Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner told Netanyahu that the US president is determined to end the Gaza war. During their meeting in New York, they told him that the president believes the time has come to seek an end to the war, and that for Netanyahu the time is now.

The channel reported that Witkoff and Kushner pressed Netanyahu to move toward an agreement before his upcoming meeting with Trump, after the prime minister expressed opposition to several elements of the American plan. Netanyahu, along with Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer, voiced these objections in talks with Trump’s aides.

Israel’s Channel 13 corroborated the report, quoting senior Israeli officials as saying that US patience with Gaza is wearing thin. The officials added that in recent days, the Trump administration has intensified pressure for a deal with Hamas that would secure the release of hostages and significantly wind down the war.

The pressure has mounted around a 21-point American proposal to end the conflict in Gaza. The plan, shared with several Arab and Muslim countries on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly earlier this week, envisions Gaza as a region free of extremism and terrorism, posing no threat to its neighbors, and redeveloped for the benefit of its people.

It calls for an immediate ceasefire, Israeli withdrawal, and the return of both living and deceased hostages in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners serving life sentences. Under the plan, Gaza would be administered by a temporary technocratic Palestinian government, supported by an international stabilization force that would train a Palestinian police body to serve as a long-term internal security apparatus.

Despite American optimism, senior Israeli officials told Channel 13 that disputes remain over the conditions for ending the war. Israeli media noted that while the plan guarantees Hamas’ removal from power in Gaza, Netanyahu’s definition of defeating the group remains far from realized.

A senior Israeli official told Haaretz that the plan leaves very slim chances of resuming fighting once a ceasefire takes hold. Netanyahu’s circle, however, stressed that any plan must include the complete dismantling of Hamas and that Israel would not compromise on this.

Trump, meanwhile, struck an upbeat tone. On his Truth Social platform, he wrote that constructive talks were underway, touting a deal that would end the war and return hostages. He said negotiations had been intensive for four days and would continue as long as necessary to reach a full and successful agreement, noting that all regional players are involved.

He confirmed that both Israel and Hamas are aware of the discussions and insisted talks would continue until an agreement is reached. Trump also met with leaders and officials from several Muslim-majority countries this week to discuss Gaza, where Israeli strikes have escalated.

Witkoff said Trump presented these leaders with the 21-point peace proposal. Trump later wrote that Hamas is well aware of these discussions and that Israel has been briefed at all levels.

While withholding details, he described the talks as inspiring and productive.

According to Trump administration officials, a breakthrough on Gaza may be imminent despite ongoing Israeli bombardment.

Haaretz reported that Hamas has given its initial approval to Trump’s plan, with Qatar playing a key role in swaying the group. Trump is now focused on securing Netanyahu’s consent.

In a telling development, Witkoff reportedly assured families of Israeli hostages in recent days that a breakthrough is near and that good news can be expected within days.

An Israeli political source echoed this sentiment to the families, saying positive developments were expected following Netanyahu’s US visit. Channel 12 reported that several hostage families have recently received encouraging messages from multiple sources linked to the negotiations.



Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.