Arrest Warrant Issued for Assad Ahead of Sharaa’s Visit to Moscow

16 February 2023, Syria, Damascus: A photo released by the official Syrian Arab news agency (SANA) on 16 February shows then Syrian President Bashar al-Assad delivering a televised speech. (SANA/dpa)
16 February 2023, Syria, Damascus: A photo released by the official Syrian Arab news agency (SANA) on 16 February shows then Syrian President Bashar al-Assad delivering a televised speech. (SANA/dpa)
TT

Arrest Warrant Issued for Assad Ahead of Sharaa’s Visit to Moscow

16 February 2023, Syria, Damascus: A photo released by the official Syrian Arab news agency (SANA) on 16 February shows then Syrian President Bashar al-Assad delivering a televised speech. (SANA/dpa)
16 February 2023, Syria, Damascus: A photo released by the official Syrian Arab news agency (SANA) on 16 February shows then Syrian President Bashar al-Assad delivering a televised speech. (SANA/dpa)

As anticipation grows over Syrian interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa’s visit to Moscow next month to attend the Arab-Russian summit, Damascus has officially launched legal proceedings against ousted Syrian president Bashar al-Assad, who has been living in Russia since the fall of his regime last December.

Tawfiq al-Ali, the seventh investigative judge in Damascus, issued an arrest warrant in absentia against Assad in connection with events that took place in Daraa in November 2011 during the civil war. The decision allows the warrant to be circulated through Interpol and pursued internationally.

In remarks to the state-run news agency SANA on Saturday, al-Ali said the warrant includes charges of premeditated murder, torture resulting in death, and unlawful deprivation of liberty.

He explained that the move stems from lawsuits filed by families of victims in Daraa, stressing that legal proceedings will continue “to hold accountable those responsible for crimes committed under the ousted regime.”

Sharaa is expected to attend the Arab-Russian Summit in mid-October at the invitation of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Deputy

Prime Minister Alexander Novak, who visited Damascus two weeks ago at the head of a large delegation, said Moscow attaches “great importance to the president’s visit,” describing it as the opening of a “new chapter in relations with Syria.”

So far, Russia has not responded positively to Damascus’s request for Assad’s extradition, a matter that was raised during Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov’s visit to the Syrian capital earlier this year.

Moscow-based researcher Mahmoud Hamza downplayed the likelihood that Assad’s prosecution would disrupt the new stage in bilateral relations.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he described Assad’s extradition as a Syrian demand essential for justice, noting that the arrest warrant “came at the right time.”

He predicted that Moscow would refrain from issuing a negative reaction, saying Putin “will not hand over Bashar al-Assad,” but will nonetheless take the matter into account.

Hamza added that the case “will not die; it may simply be postponed, or unconventional solutions may emerge later.”

The warrant was “crucial for establishing the rights of Syrians in court, as well as for its political significance,” he added.

He urged Damascus to extend the case to relevant international organizations, arguing that Assad “committed crimes against Syria and its people.”

He also revealed that Russian officials, in private conversations, “do not defend Assad but insist that they accepted him and his family on humanitarian grounds.”

Political analyst Bassam Suleiman, who is close to the Syrian government, told Asharq Al-Awsat that Damascus remains determined to “advance the path of transitional justice and prosecute criminals, foremost among them Assad.”

Russia bears a “historic responsibility” in repairing ties between the two peoples, he said, acknowledging the importance of cultural, social, and economic bonds.

“This positive history was tarnished,” Suleiman said. “Russia must now correct this, and realize that the man it is sheltering is the greatest criminal sought by Syrians.”



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.