Lebanon: Aoun, Salam Differences Unlikely to Escalate into Crisis

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (Lebanese Presidency)
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (Lebanese Presidency)
TT

Lebanon: Aoun, Salam Differences Unlikely to Escalate into Crisis

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (Lebanese Presidency)
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (Lebanese Presidency)

The relationship between Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam has been marked by a series of ups and downs, with differences on several key issues since they took office. Their most recent disagreement centered on the Raouche rock event, which led to an ‘indirect clash’ between the two officials.

Earlier, the appointment of a central bank governor had also sparked a dispute, which was resolved in March in favor of President Aoun’s nominee Karim Souaid.

While tensions over the handling of Hezbollah’s “Raouche celebration” continue to cast a shadow over their ties and have kept the cabinet from meeting this week, efforts are underway on several tracks to repair what ministerial sources close to the presidency describe as “a relationship of cooperation, partnership and responsibility.”

Those efforts were reflected in a meeting on Thursday between Aoun and Deputy Prime Minister Tarek Metri.

After the meeting Metri said: “We discussed the next cabinet session, at which we expect to hear from army command on the monthly report regarding the monopoly of arms. We also discussed the atmosphere of trust between the government and the presidency.”

Speaker Nabih Berri did not deny friction between the president and prime minister when asked after his meeting with Aoun on Monday, replying, “God willing, things will get better.”

Sources concede differences of view between the two men but say “matters are being resolved in a way that will not negatively affect the cooperation between them or the functioning of institutions.”

They told Asharq al-Awsat the dispute had been settled and that a cabinet meeting would be convened next Thursday at the presidential palace, to be chaired by Aoun.

“The president set out his position to the prime minister when he visited him on Tuesday, rejecting any use of the army against participants in the Raouche celebration, where the rock was lit up with images of the former and current Hezbollah secretaries-general, Hassan Nasrallah and Hashem Safieddine,” the sources added.

Investigations into the “rock celebration” are continuing. Sources said probes were focusing on the association that obtained the permit for the event.

The National News Agency reported on Thursday that two people had been questioned under the supervision of the public prosecutor for specialized matters, Judge Jamal al-Hajjar; one was released on a pledge to stay, the other was remanded for questioning.

The latter is the owner of the laser device used to project the two images onto the rock.

The agency added that three more people had been summoned for questioning on Friday.

The episode also saw Aoun award the army commander, Major-General Rudolf Hikal, the National Order of the Cedar, grade of the grand sash, on Monday, in recognition of his service and leadership roles.

The move raised eyebrows amid the “clash” with the prime minister after Salam said he had “called the ministers of interior, justice and defence and asked them to take appropriate steps, including detaining those responsible and referring them to investigation so they face the penalties prescribed by law.”

Defense Minister Michel Menassa, an ally of Aoun, later issued a statement saying “the dignity of the Lebanese army regrets placing the burden of street events on the guardians of legitimacy” and stressing that “the army’s mission is to avert sedition,” responding to criticism directed at the military at the time.

Sources noted the medal Aoun conferred on Hikal had been signed by both the president and the prime minister on Sept. 19 before Aoun travelled to New York and was presented to Hikal on his return.

Support grows for Salam

Voices in support of Prime Minister Salam have grown louder. On Thursday, Salam received visitors who voiced solidarity with his stance and his insistence on upholding the law and protecting state institutions.

After meeting Salam, MP Ashraf Rifi said the Raouche event had been a “failed show of force aimed at confronting legitimacy and displaying a fake excess of power. We witnessed how a small state (Hezbollah) tried to impose a fait accompli on Beirut,” he said, adding that the militia had miscalculated and could no longer “retreat inward” after failing in its external ventures.

“I am confident Prime Minister Salam, a son of Beirut, emerged stronger by standing by the law. He will not back down from protecting institutions. All free Lebanese stand with him,” Rifi said.

Addressing the “defeated small state,” he added: “The time when a finger could be raised against the Lebanese is over. That finger has been broken for good, and our will as free Lebanese is firmer and stronger than any project of chaos or tutelage.”

Rifi urged state leaders and all security and military forces “to be of one hand, with no place for hesitation or compromise. You are the hope of the Lebanese in defending the state and restoring Lebanon to the realm of law and institutions.”

He warned: “Your responsibility is great and history will not forgive any slackness or hesitation,” and said “solidarity among the presidencies and institutions is needed now more than ever, and it stems from the duty to remove illegal arms and implement the constitution and international resolutions.”



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.