Two Years After Gaza Support, Lebanon Faces Post-Hezbollah Era

Hezbollah supporter marches near previously Israeli-struck site in Beirut suburb (EPA)
Hezbollah supporter marches near previously Israeli-struck site in Beirut suburb (EPA)
TT

Two Years After Gaza Support, Lebanon Faces Post-Hezbollah Era

Hezbollah supporter marches near previously Israeli-struck site in Beirut suburb (EPA)
Hezbollah supporter marches near previously Israeli-struck site in Beirut suburb (EPA)

Lebanon is marking the second anniversary of Hezbollah’s entry into the “Support and Backing Gaza” battle on Oct. 8, 2023, facing what many describe as a “post-Hezbollah” military phase.

The shift comes amid domestic pledges to enforce the state’s “monopoly over arms” and growing local and international calls for Beirut to reclaim exclusive authority over decisions of war and peace.

Since Oct. 8, 2023, southern Lebanon has been the scene of near-daily exchanges of fire between Hezbollah and Israel. For months, the clashes remained limited and contained, but both sides gradually escalated, forcing thousands of families to flee border villages and inflicting heavy economic damage nationwide.

Lebanon entered a state of constant alert, gripped by fears of a wider conflict, before the fighting erupted into full-scale war in September 2024 and subsided two months later under a ceasefire agreement.

Dr. Mehiedine el-Chehimi a professor of law and foreign policy in Paris, told Asharq al-Awsat that Hezbollah and Lebanon’s so-called “resistance front” made a unilateral decision on Oct. 8, 2023 - based on a ruling by the party’s Shura Council and without consulting the Lebanese state - to enter what they called a “war of support and distraction.”

“This decision plunged Lebanon into a spiral of calamities at both the state and institutional levels,” el-Chehimi said. “It marked a clear loss for Hezbollah and the resistance axis - starting in Lebanon, through Syria, and reaching all the way to Iran and Yemen.”

A Complex Monopoly on Arms

The ceasefire agreement, which Lebanon says it has honored but Israel continues to violate, has not stopped Israeli airstrikes and assassinations. These ongoing attacks have amplified international and domestic pressure on Beirut to implement its pledge of exclusive state control over weapons - a principle Hezbollah says it will only accept under its own conditions.

Lebanese Shiite dissident Jad al-Akhaoui said the transition to dismantle Hezbollah’s military presence “is neither swift nor simple.”

“It’s deeply intertwined with politics, economics, and sectarian identity,” al-Akhaoui told Asharq al-Awsat. “Dismantling this system will require sustained internal and external pressure and serious political and security alternatives to restore public trust in the state and its institutions.”

He added: “The idea of a ‘post-military Hezbollah’ is emerging as a discussion and a concept, but turning it into reality will be painful. It’s likely to involve domestic and regional bargaining - and possibly confrontations - before Lebanon can become a normal state.”

Hamas and the “Trump Plan” Factor

Asked whether Hamas’ reported acceptance of the Trump peace plan could ease or hinder Hezbollah’s disarmament, Al-Akhaoui said such a move “would have direct repercussions on Lebanon and Hezbollah’s arsenal.”

“If Hamas - by laying down arms and entering a political process - sets a precedent, it would increase pressure on Hezbollah,” he said.

“An armed movement outside state control would lose legitimacy once the Palestinian resistance itself abandons its weapons. The party would also face mounting domestic embarrassment amid rising Lebanese demands to end exceptionalism and reassert state sovereignty.”

However, al-Akhaoui added that Hezbollah could also use Hamas’ disarmament “to justify holding onto its weapons - claiming Hamas’ downfall proves the need for its own strength to confront Israel and defend Lebanon. The outcome will ultimately depend on regional power dynamics and the Lebanese state’s ability to seize this moment and translate it into genuine sovereignty.”

Lebanon After Hezbollah

El-Chehimi said that since the signing of the ceasefire, Lebanon has entered “a new phase that can be described as Lebanon after Hezbollah - meaning after the presence of an illegal armed militia.”

“The current transition reflects the difficulty of Hezbollah becoming a purely political party,” he added.

“At its core, it still perceives itself as a military organization with parliamentary, ministerial, and grassroots extensions. Yet, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam’s government approved the ceasefire deal, making Lebanon more obligated than ever to implement international resolutions and pursue smart, active diplomacy to rebuild confidence in the state and increase pressure on Israel.”

He concluded: “Lebanon today, after the events of Oct. 7 and the subsequent decline of non-state movements across the region, stands at a crossroads. It can either manage the new phase wisely and move toward recovery or face further crises and external pressure. The current trajectory points toward consolidating the notion of a single, sovereign state that controls its entire territory, following the erosion of parallel, illegitimate powers that once dominated several capitals within the so-called resistance axis.”

 

 

 

 



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.