Syrians Urge New People's Assembly to Prioritize Living Conditions

People cast their votes at a polling station in Damascus last Sunday (AFP)
People cast their votes at a polling station in Damascus last Sunday (AFP)
TT

Syrians Urge New People's Assembly to Prioritize Living Conditions

People cast their votes at a polling station in Damascus last Sunday (AFP)
People cast their votes at a polling station in Damascus last Sunday (AFP)

Syrians say they want their new People’s Assembly to prioritize improving living conditions and act as a genuine voice for the people.

Citizens interviewed by Asharq Al-Awsat also urged the incoming parliament to embrace transparency and accountability, update outdated laws, and pass legislation guaranteeing women’s rights in employment and political participation.

Local sources in Sweida province—home to a Druze majority in southern Syria—and in areas under Kurdish-led self-administration in the north and northeast, meanwhile, highlighted the absence of representation for residents there, after the Damascus government excluded their regions from the voting process.

Rebuilding Trust

Houda Atassi, Co-Founder & Chairwoman at International Humanitarian Relief and a civil society activist, said the new parliament faces a “national responsibility” to rebuild trust between citizens and state institutions.

“The People’s Assembly must place people’s concerns and livelihoods at the heart of its priorities,” Atassi told Asharq Al-Awsat, calling for genuine inclusion of civil society and women as “essential partners in decision-making, not just symbolic participants.”

She expressed hope that the new body would enact laws promoting social justice, safeguarding women’s rights to work and political participation, and empowering them economically and socially. She urged the parliament to demonstrate transparency and accountability and to serve as a sincere voice for Syrians aspiring to a fair and capable state.

Sunday’s parliamentary vote was the first since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s regime late last year. A total of 1,578 candidates competed for 140 seats. Meanwhile, President Ahmed al-Sharaa will appoint the remaining third of the 210-seat chamber, as stipulated in the constitutional declaration.

On Monday, the Higher Election Committee announced the final results. Its spokesman, Nawar Najmeh, said men won about 96% of the seats, compared with 4% for women—a disparity he described as “the main shortcoming of the electoral process.”

Atassi attributed the weak female representation to intertwined political, social, and cultural factors, noting that in many rural or conservative areas, “voters still hesitate to elect women because entrenched patriarchal norms link leadership and political representation with men rather than women.”

She said many electoral lists included women only for formality’s sake, without real backing or campaigning. “Ironically,” she added, “a large proportion of women voters end up casting ballots for male candidates—whether due to family influence, social security concerns, or political pragmatism—undermining the chances of female contenders who had counted on the women’s vote.”

Atassi said women’s visible presence in polling stations reflected civic awareness but had yet to translate into political trust or tangible empowerment at the ballot box.

Focus on Living Standards and Services

In Damascus, resident Ibrahim al-Fayyad said he hoped the new parliament would modernize legislation to better serve citizens, enable the government to assist them, and improve their deteriorating living standards—as well as basic services such as electricity, water, and telecommunications.

The vote took place amid rising prices, which have climbed again after dropping by roughly 50 percent following the previous regime’s fall. The government has since raised public sector salaries by 200 percent, bringing the monthly wage of a top-tier employee to around $150. Studies, however, estimate that a small Syrian family needs at least $500 per month to cover basic expenses.

Information engineer Mohammed Abuo Sweid said he hoped the parliament would push for digital governance and automation across public and private sectors to “save time, effort, and costs, and reduce the financial burden on the state.”

Golan Residents Call for Safeguarding National Sovereignty

The occupied Golan Heights also featured prominently in Syrians’ expectations. Tayyib Mahmoud Ahmad Rahban, a resident of the area, told Asharq Al-Awsat he hoped the parliament would “not concede a grain of Syria’s soil or ratify any treaty that compromises our rights as Syrians, and as Golan natives in particular.”

Rahban said he wanted the assembly to truly represent “the millions of Syrians who have endured years of death, displacement, and detention.”

In southern Daraa province, meanwhile, resident Mohammed Abdulrahman called on the parliament to support the economy, small and medium enterprises, and to introduce legislation fostering a safe investment environment that would encourage Syrian capital to return. He also urged lawmakers to “open prospects for a better future for youth and protect their rights.”

Druze Regret Exclusion from Vote

In Sweida, which was excluded from the elections amid tension between Damascus and local armed factions aligned with Druze religious leader Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri, a senior Druze source expressed regret that residents could not cast their votes or choose representatives to participate in national decision-making.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, the source said it was “only natural” that the province did not take part in the vote following July’s deadly clashes between Druze fighters on one side and Bedouin and tribal groups alongside government forces on the other. He said those events had caused “a total loss of confidence in the current authorities.”

Political activist Maysa al-Abdullah, also from Sweida, told Asharq Al-Awsat that locals were more concerned with “how to shelter the displaced and cope with bread and electricity shortages” than with parliamentary participation.

Kurdish Areas Unmoved by the Vote

In Kurdish-administered northeastern Syria, where relations with Damascus remain strained, election day passed “like any other day,” said Imad Majoul, a Kurdish resident of Amuda in rural Hasakah.

“People only heard about the elections on social media,” he said, adding that he felt “nothing had changed politically in Syria,” describing the current phase as “a replica of the previous one but with new faces and terminology.”

As in Sweida, the Damascus government excluded Kurdish-held areas from taking part in the parliamentary elections.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.