Civilians in Sudan's al-Fasher Cower from Drones as Siege Worsens Hunger

Remnants of a shell that targeted the refugee center, in El Fasher, Sudan, October 7, 2025. REUTERS/Mohyaldeen M Abdallah
Remnants of a shell that targeted the refugee center, in El Fasher, Sudan, October 7, 2025. REUTERS/Mohyaldeen M Abdallah
TT

Civilians in Sudan's al-Fasher Cower from Drones as Siege Worsens Hunger

Remnants of a shell that targeted the refugee center, in El Fasher, Sudan, October 7, 2025. REUTERS/Mohyaldeen M Abdallah
Remnants of a shell that targeted the refugee center, in El Fasher, Sudan, October 7, 2025. REUTERS/Mohyaldeen M Abdallah

Residents of Sudan's besieged city of al-Fasher have been taking refuge in underground bunkers to try to protect themselves from drones and shells after intensifying attacks on displacement shelters, clinics and mosques.

Famine-stricken al-Fasher is the Sudanese army's last holdout in the vast, western region of Darfur as it battles the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in a civil war that has raged for two-and-a-half years, Reuters reported.

The conflict, which erupted from an internal power struggle, has triggered ethnic killings, drawn in foreign powers and created a massive humanitarian crisis.

The army has been gaining ground elsewhere in Sudan, but Darfur is the RSF's stronghold where it aims to base a parallel government, potentially cementing a geographical splintering of the country.

More than one million have fled al-Fasher during an 18-month siege by the RSF, according to the UN, but it has become dangerous and expensive to leave. An estimated quarter of a million civilians remain, and there are fears of mass reprisals if the city falls.

STRUGGLE TO AVOID DRONE STRIKES

Many of those still in the city have dug bunkers for protection after repeated strikes on civilians, according to more than a dozen residents reached by phone as well as footage obtained and verified by Reuters.

The residents described avoiding drones by limiting movements and large gatherings during daytime, and not using lights after dark.

"We can only bury people at night, or very early in the morning," said Mohyaldeen Abdallah, a local journalist. "It's become normal for us."

Five residents said drones have followed civilians into areas where they gather, such as clinics. "When you're walking around you stick to the wall like a gecko so the drone won't see you go inside," said Dr. Ezzeldin Asow, head of al-Fasher's now-abandoned Southern Hospital.

At one shelter in al-Fasher's Abu Taleb school at least 18 people were killed in the week from September 30 by bombardment, a drone attack and an RSF raid, said Abdallah, who visited the site before and after the attacks.

Footage verified by Reuters showed the school's shattered ceilings and scarred walls. On the school grounds, it showed a dead body lying outside a shipping container buried in the ground to create a shelter, with sandbags around the entrance.

Neither the army nor the RSF responded to written requests or calls seeking comment on the incidents at Abu Taleb school and elsewhere in al-Fasher.

Residents captured in the footage blamed the RSF for attacks. Reuters could not independently verify who was responsible.

"They don't distinguish between civilians and soldiers, if you're human they fire at you," Khadiga Musa, head of the North Darfur health ministry, told Reuters by phone from al-Fasher.

The RSF and its allies have been blamed for waves of ethnically driven violence in Darfur during the war, with the US determining last year that they had committed genocide. Its leadership denies ordering such attacks and says rogue soldiers will face justice.

In a statement on October 12, the RSF said al-Fasher was "devoid of civilians". The army and allied self-defense fighters and former rebels had "turned hospitals and mosques into military barracks and rocket launchers," the RSF said.

The Sudanese army, which has denied responsibility for civilian deaths, has also used drones in al-Fasher.

REPEATED ATTACKS ON SECOND SHELTER

On October 10-11 another displacement shelter, Dar al-Arqam, located on university grounds that also house a mosque, suffered repeated strikes. The center's manager, Hashim Bosh, recorded 57 dead including 17 children, among them three babies.

"They were aiming at the mosque. They attacked right after Friday prayer," he said in a voice note to Reuters, describing the first strike. A second strike, he said, came from a drone that followed people running to another shipping container used as a shelter.

The next morning four more shells hit during dawn prayers, Bosh said. Residents interviewed in footage taken by local activists and verified by Reuters confirmed the attacks.

The footage also showed what appear to be 10 bodies covered in sheets at the site, a child-sized body covered by a small prayer rug, and several bodies, mangled and uncovered, inside the container.

Satellite imagery published by the Yale Humanitarian Research Lab (HRL) on October 16 showed six impact points on Dar al-Arqam's buildings.

BODIES SCATTERED IN THE STREETS

According to HRL, as of October 4 the RSF had extended earthen barriers to almost fully encircle al-Fasher.

As a result, activists warned last week that even ambaz, an animal feed people had resorted to eating, had become unavailable.

Activists from a local network, the al-Fasher Resistance Committee, say on average 30 people a day are dying from violence, hunger, and disease.

So many bodies were scattered in the streets that it was a health risk, according to the Abu Shouk Emergency Response Room, a volunteer network.

Those who spoke to Reuters said they feared being kidnapped, robbed, or killed if they left.

"Al-Fasher is basically lifeless," said a member of the Abu Shouk Emergency Response Room who only gave his first name, Mohamed. "But leaving is even more dangerous than staying."



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.