Hezbollah Commanders Back in Israel’s Assassination Crosshairs

Hezbollah commander Abbas Hassan Karaki was killed in a strike in Nabatieh in southern Lebanon last Friday (NNA)
Hezbollah commander Abbas Hassan Karaki was killed in a strike in Nabatieh in southern Lebanon last Friday (NNA)
TT

Hezbollah Commanders Back in Israel’s Assassination Crosshairs

Hezbollah commander Abbas Hassan Karaki was killed in a strike in Nabatieh in southern Lebanon last Friday (NNA)
Hezbollah commander Abbas Hassan Karaki was killed in a strike in Nabatieh in southern Lebanon last Friday (NNA)

After months of Israeli strikes and assassinations targeting Hezbollah operatives, the group in recent days has publicly mourned two of its senior commanders killed in separate attacks.

The first, Abbas Hassan Karaki, was killed in a strike in Nabatieh in southern Lebanon last Friday. The Israeli military said it had assassinated Karaki, describing him as head of logistics for Hezbollah’s southern front. Hezbollah, in turn, hailed him as a “martyr commander.”

The second, Ali al-Moussawi, was killed on Sunday in a strike on the town of Nabi Sheet in Lebanon’s eastern Bekaa region. Hezbollah announced his death, referring to him as “commander Dr. Ali al-Moussawi.”

The Israeli army said al-Moussawi had been “an arms dealer and weapons smuggler within Hezbollah’s ranks, involved in purchasing and transferring weapons from Syria to Lebanon, and a key figure in the group’s reconstruction and armament efforts.”

Since the November 2024 ceasefire, Hezbollah has not described any of those assassinated by Israel as senior commanders, despite repeated Israeli claims that its targets were in leadership roles.

The group has previously released the names and photos of 35 senior commanders killed by Israel during the war, in addition to former secretary-generals Hassan Nasrallah and Hashem Safieddine.

From Second to First Tier

According to Mohammad Chamseddine, a researcher with the Information International, Hezbollah lost 4,600 fighters during the war. Since the ceasefire, another 385 members have been assassinated.

Chamseddine told Asharq Al-Awsat that most of those killed since the ceasefire were regional officials, meaning mid-level or lower-ranking commanders. However, he noted that both Abbas Karaki and Ali al-Moussawi, assassinated last weekend, were first-tier figures.

He said most assassinations in the past ten months have taken place on roads, mainly across southern Lebanon.

Military and Security Cadres Targeted

Political analyst Ali al-Amin, a Hezbollah critic and editor-in-chief of the Janoubia website, said it has become clear that Israel’s assassinations are targeting Hezbollah cadres.

“There is now a firm belief among Hezbollah’s ranks and supporters that those not engaged in military or security duties are not under threat,” al-Amin told Asharq Al-Awsat. “Some even express confidence that since they hold no military or security responsibilities, they are safe.”

He added: “What’s new is that Israel appears to be escalating its operations, focusing on figures involved in security, military, or related functions. The two engineers killed two weeks ago near Nabatieh, for instance, point to a pattern in which Israel’s targets are individuals it claims are Hezbollah operatives.”

Al-Amin said Israel’s apparent aim is to dismantle Hezbollah’s remaining military and security infrastructure, noting that the group’s civil and economic institutions have not been targeted since hostilities ceased.

“Hezbollah’s lawmakers, for example, move around fairly freely in several areas,” he added. “This suggests that Israel’s focus remains on the group’s security and military personnel and those tied to its combat structure.”

A photograph circulated online showed a car engulfed in flames after being hit by an Israeli strike in Nabi Sheet on Sunday, which killed Hezbollah commander Ali al-Moussawi.

Strikes Focused on Three Areas

According to Israeli media reports, Israel’s strikes in Lebanon are now concentrated on three main areas.

The first is southern Lebanon’s border region, where Israel’s intensified attacks aim to “erode the infrastructure of the Radwan Force,” while also highlighting Hezbollah’s efforts to rebuild launch sites for rockets and mortars, gather intelligence, and fire anti-tank missiles near the frontier.

The second is the Nabatieh–Khirbet Selm–Kfar Dounine axis, which Israeli reports describe as home to Hezbollah’s command and control centers, separating operational and leadership levels.

The third area is the Bekaa Valley in eastern Lebanon, where strikes aim to “damage strategic infrastructure.” The region, according to Israeli assessments, serves as a logistical lifeline and storage hub for Iranian weapons, long-range missiles, and arms smuggled into Lebanon.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.