Lebanese Interior Minister: We Made a Major Stride Forward in Combatting Narcotics

Lebanese Interior and Municipalities Minister Ahmad al-Hajjar addresses a press conference at the headquarters of the Information Branch in Beirut, Lebanon, 15 September 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
Lebanese Interior and Municipalities Minister Ahmad al-Hajjar addresses a press conference at the headquarters of the Information Branch in Beirut, Lebanon, 15 September 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
TT

Lebanese Interior Minister: We Made a Major Stride Forward in Combatting Narcotics

Lebanese Interior and Municipalities Minister Ahmad al-Hajjar addresses a press conference at the headquarters of the Information Branch in Beirut, Lebanon, 15 September 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
Lebanese Interior and Municipalities Minister Ahmad al-Hajjar addresses a press conference at the headquarters of the Information Branch in Beirut, Lebanon, 15 September 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH

Lebanon’s Interior Minister Ahmad al-Hajjar said in remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat on Thursday that Lebanon has taken a major leap forward in combatting the smuggling and manufacturing of narcotics.

He said the political authority is dealing with this matter with utmost seriousness, proving unwavering support for the security apparatuses that in turn are carrying out their missions with exceptional precision, combatting any attempt to smuggle drugs to and from Lebanon and then to the Gulf states.

He noted that the oath of office of President Joseph Aoun touched on this matter and so did the ministerial statement.

“After the election of President Joseph Aoun as head of state, it was noticeable how his oath of office included the need to combat narcotics, and so did the ministerial statement”, said Hajjar.

He stressed that he too had included this pressing matter as one of the goals that the interior ministry seeks to complete. “It became one of the 10 priorities the ministry had to attend to”.

“From the first meetings, I notified the relevant authorities that combatting narcotics is a national priority, and indeed each security apparatus took its own part in that regard. The Lebanese army exerted major efforts dismantling Captagon factories, raiding some real sensitive locations, the latest were in the Shatila Palestinian refugee camp which had long been outside the Lebanese state’s authority”, said the minister.

He also pointed to other raids carried out in north Lebanon, Baalbek, the outskirts of Yammoune, and other locations.

Coordination with Saudi Security

Hajjar emphasized that Lebanon has taken a major stride forward in combatting narcotics.

He said that during the last drug seizing operation, intel from the Saudi General Directorate of Narcotics Control (GDNC) was forwarded to Lebanon about the presence of cocaine quantities at the Tripoli port. “The Central Anti-Narcotics Bureau in Lebanon reacted swiftly and decisively, confiscating 125 kilograms of cocaine. The largest seized in years”.

The Minister added that another operation, in collaboration with the Saudi authorities, managed to confiscate large quantities of Captagon that was bound to be smuggled to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia, and then to Kuwait.

Hajjar underscored that the useful collaboration between Saudi and Lebanese authorities, and the prompt and serious investigations managed to break these smuggling cells.

Anti-smuggling campaigns of narcotics have been “ongoing for months”, he added, noting that the matter is a priority for the Lebanese state.

The Internal Security Forces’ Information Branch has also done an outstanding job, added the minister noting that it continues to achieve major accomplishments in counter-terrorism and organized crime, with significant roles and achievements.

The Branch succeeded at detaining smuggling networks with international reach trafficking Captagon and hashish towards Gulf markets and Egypt.

These smugglers had previously carried out operations targeting Australia and Türkiye, and maintained connections and operatives in both Türkiye and Jordan.

“The head of the network and several other individuals were apprehended, and approximately 6.5 million Captagon pills and 720 kilograms of hashish were seized. The narcotics had been packaged and prepared for shipment to the Port of Beirut. It was a perfectly preemptive operation”, underscored Hajjar.

Development as an Economic Alternative

Alongside efforts to combat drug trafficking and dismantle related networks, Hajjar noted that the state is working to develop remote regions where drug traffickers are active. He pointed out that the government has approved the Cannabis Regulatory Authority, which will oversee production according to specific rules, standards, and conditions.

He explained that the goal is “to promote the development of areas where the cultivation of illegal hashish once took place. Now, industrial hemp will be grown there for medical purposes under the supervision of the regulatory authority, which will play a developmental role.”

He also mentioned agricultural projects in Akkar (northern Lebanon), saying that “the Lebanese state views development across all regions, especially the Bekaa Valley and Akkar, as a priority.” He affirmed that development is among the government’s top priorities.

 

 

 



Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.