Lebanon Accuses Israel of Responding to Negotiation Offer by ‘Intensifying’ Attacks

A handout photo made available by the Lebanese Presidency Press Office shows Lebanese President Joseph Aoun (R) shaking hands with German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul (L) at the presidential palace in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, 31 October 2025. (Lebanese Presidency)
A handout photo made available by the Lebanese Presidency Press Office shows Lebanese President Joseph Aoun (R) shaking hands with German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul (L) at the presidential palace in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, 31 October 2025. (Lebanese Presidency)
TT

Lebanon Accuses Israel of Responding to Negotiation Offer by ‘Intensifying’ Attacks

A handout photo made available by the Lebanese Presidency Press Office shows Lebanese President Joseph Aoun (R) shaking hands with German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul (L) at the presidential palace in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, 31 October 2025. (Lebanese Presidency)
A handout photo made available by the Lebanese Presidency Press Office shows Lebanese President Joseph Aoun (R) shaking hands with German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul (L) at the presidential palace in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, 31 October 2025. (Lebanese Presidency)

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun on Friday accused Israel of responding to its offer to negotiate by intensifying its air strikes, the latest of which killed a man riding a motorbike in southern Lebanon.

Despite a November 2024 ceasefire with the Lebanese group Hezbollah, Israel maintains troops in five areas in southern Lebanon and has kept up regular air strikes.

Aoun had called for negotiations with Israel in mid-October, after US President Donald Trump brokered a ceasefire in Gaza.

"Lebanon is ready for negotiations to end the Israeli occupation, but any negotiation... requires mutual willingness, which is not the case," Aoun said on Friday.

Israel "is responding to this option by carrying out more attacks against Lebanon... and intensifying tensions", he added during a meeting with German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul.

Wadephul offered his support, stating that he would urge his Israeli counterpart Gideon Saar to withdraw Israeli troops from southern Lebanon.

"Israel must withdraw. I understand that Israel has security needs... But in fact, we now need a process of mutual trust-building," the German minister said.

Wadephul also encouraged the Lebanese government to ensure there is "a credible, transparent and rapid process of disarming Hezbollah".

He acknowledged that is "a mammoth task" but contended it is "a basic prerequisite for this country to experience stability and for there to be no further conflict with Israel".

Lebanon's official National News Agency (NNA) said an Israeli drone targeted a man on a motorbike in the village of Kunin on Friday. The health ministry reported one death and one person wounded.

The Israeli military said it had "eliminated... a Hezbollah maintenance officer" who was working to reestablish the Iran-backed group's infrastructure sites in southern Lebanon.

The strike came a day after the Israeli military killed a municipal worker in a raid in the Lebanese border village of Blida.

Aoun ordered the army on Thursday to confront such incursions.

Hezbollah first began launching cross-border fire at Israel following the outbreak of the war in Gaza in October 2023, kicking off a more than year-long conflict that culminated in two months of open war before last year's ceasefire was agreed.

Israel, however, has never stopped carrying out air strikes on Lebanon -- usually saying it is targeting Hezbollah positions -- and has stepped up the attacks in recent days.

Israeli attacks on Lebanon have killed at least 25 people in October, including one Syrian, according to an AFP toll based on figures from the Lebanese health ministry.

On Tuesday, the spokesman for the UN rights commission, Jeremy Laurence, said Israeli forces had killed 111 civilians in Lebanon since the ceasefire went into effect.

Lebanese Foreign Minister Youssef Rajji asked his visiting German counterpart on Friday to "help put pressure on Israel to stop its attacks".

"Only a diplomatic solution, not a military one, can ensure stability and guarantee calm in the south," Raggi was quoted by the NNA as saying.

He added that "the Lebanese government is continuing to gradually implement its decision to place all weapons under its control".

Hezbollah was badly weakened during the war, and the United States has intensified pressure on Lebanese authorities to disarm the group.

Hezbollah and its allies oppose the plan.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.