Classified US Report Documents Israeli Violations in Gaza

Palestinians mourn the death of a relative at Al Shifa hospital in Gaza City, 29 October 2025. (EPA)
Palestinians mourn the death of a relative at Al Shifa hospital in Gaza City, 29 October 2025. (EPA)
TT

Classified US Report Documents Israeli Violations in Gaza

Palestinians mourn the death of a relative at Al Shifa hospital in Gaza City, 29 October 2025. (EPA)
Palestinians mourn the death of a relative at Al Shifa hospital in Gaza City, 29 October 2025. (EPA)

A classified report by a US government watchdog has found that the Israeli military committed “many hundreds” of potential violations of US human rights law in the Gaza Strip that would take the US State Department “multiple years” to review, two US officials told The Washington Post on Thursday.

“The findings by the State Department’s Office of Inspector General mark the first time a US government report has acknowledged the scale of Israeli actions in Gaza that fall under the purview of Leahy Laws, the landmark legislation that bars US security assistance to foreign military units credibly accused of gross human rights abuses,” said the Post.

The US officials discussed the details of the report on the condition of anonymity because the contents were classified. They said the watchdog findings “raised doubts about the prospects for accountability for Israel’s actions given the large backlog of incidents and the nature of the review process, which is deferential” to the Israeli army.

“What worries me is that accountability will be forgotten now that the noise of the conflict is dying down,” said Charles Blaha, a former State Department official in charge of the office that implements the Leahy Laws, who was told about the report.

The office of the inspector general declined to comment for the Post article but acknowledged the report’s existence on its website. “This report contains information that is Classified and is not available for public viewing,” the webpage says.

“The report was completed just days before Israel and Hamas entered into a ceasefire agreement that saw the release of the remaining living Israeli hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners, a partial withdrawal of Israeli forces and the resumption of some humanitarian aid into war-ravaged Gaza,” continued the Post.

Though the ceasefire technically remains in effect, Tuesday marked the deadliest day since the accord was struck, with Israeli airstrikes killing at least 104 Palestinians, according to local health authorities, after Israel accused fighters of killing an Israeli soldier.

“The Leahy Laws are named after former senator Patrick J. Leahy, who sponsored legislation to impose consequences on foreign military units that receive funding from the United States and commit extrajudicial killings, torture and other atrocities,” explained the Post.

Israel’s two-year military campaign in Gaza, which has killed nearly 70,000 Palestinians since Hamas’s Oct. 7, 2023, surprise attack on southern Israel, has tested the Leahy Laws’ effectiveness.

High-profile incidents in Gaza pending a determination are numerous, including the killing of seven World Central Kitchen workers by Israel in April 2024 and the killing of more than 100 Palestinians and wounding of 760 others gathered around aid trucks near Gaza City in February 2024, according to local health authorities.

The Biden administration flagged both incidents in a report to Congress last year, saying the United States had not yet reached “definitive conclusions” on whether US weapons were used in the killings.

The US provides at least $3.8 billion in aid to Israel every year, and in recent years tens of billions of dollars more, making the country the largest cumulative recipient of US aid in the world, reported the Post.

“The classified report explains the protocol for reviewing human rights violations by foreign militaries that receive US assistance, said the two US officials. In the case of Israel, it spells out how a bespoke bureaucratic process put in place by successive Republican and Democratic administrations advantages Israel over other countries facing similar allegations of human rights violations.”

“The protocol, known as the Israel Leahy Vetting Forum, involves higher-level US officials and a lengthier process than reviews for other countries, the report says.”

Under normal vetting, a single objection from an official is sufficient to withhold assistance from a military unit, said Josh Paul, a former State Department official and critic of US policy in the Middle East. For Israel, a US working group must “come to a consensus on whether a gross violation of human rights has occurred,” Paul said.

That working group includes representatives of the US Embassy in Jerusalem and the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs, two entities that often advocate for Israel within the US system. The Israeli government is then consulted on the incident and asked if it has taken any actions to address the matter. If the group finds that a unit has committed a gross violation of human rights, it can recommend that unit be found “ineligible” for US assistance. The secretary of state then must approve the finding of ineligibility, said the Post.

That byzantine system has created predictable results, Paul said. “To date the US has not withheld any assistance to any Israeli unit despite clear evidence,” he added, according to the Post.

The Biden administration came under criticism for refusing to halt aid to Israeli units accused of gross violations of human rights, including one implicated in the killing of American Omar Assad, a 78-year-old former grocery store owner from Milwaukee who had been detained at a West Bank checkpoint in 2022.

The Trump administration has pursued a similar hands-off approach to the Israeli army, but without reciting the previous administration’s bromides about putting “human rights at the center of US foreign policy.”



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.