Beirut Offers ‘Technical’ Incentives for Talks with Tel Aviv, Awaits Response

Lebanese army soldiers aboard military vehicles near the Blue Line border with Israel in southern Lebanon (EPA)
Lebanese army soldiers aboard military vehicles near the Blue Line border with Israel in southern Lebanon (EPA)
TT

Beirut Offers ‘Technical’ Incentives for Talks with Tel Aviv, Awaits Response

Lebanese army soldiers aboard military vehicles near the Blue Line border with Israel in southern Lebanon (EPA)
Lebanese army soldiers aboard military vehicles near the Blue Line border with Israel in southern Lebanon (EPA)

US envoy to Lebanon and Syria Tom Barrack has said that Israel is ready to reach a border agreement with Lebanon, urging Lebanese leaders to “join the negotiations and safeguard their sovereignty.”

Yet Israel has not responded to Lebanese President Joseph Aoun’s initiative to launch talks, which includes a new incentive: preliminary approval for adding civilian technical experts to Lebanon’s military delegation should the need arise.

In recent weeks, Lebanon has sought to ease the path toward discussions that could resolve the persistent security tensions along its southern border. Beirut has declared its readiness to engage in dialogue, provided that talks remain indirect and exclude any form of diplomatic or political representation, according to senior government sources, who spoke to Asharq Al-Awsat. So far, however, mediators say no official response has arrived from Tel Aviv.

The United States and other international partners have been working to close the gap between the two sides. Addressing the Manama Dialogue security forum on Saturday, Barrack said that Israel is ready to reach an agreement with Lebanon, adding that the Lebanese must join the negotiations and protect their borders.

He further described Lebanon as “a failed state,” warning that its army suffers from a severe lack of financial and human resources. He noted that Hezbollah earns more money than the Lebanese Armed Forces and that thousands of rockets in southern Lebanon continue to threaten Israel.

Barrack said Lebanon’s leadership must act more decisively to contain Hezbollah’s weapons, insisting that there will be no problem between Lebanon and Israel once Hezbollah is disarmed. He cautioned that Israel may respond inside Lebanon depending on developments.

Although Israel has yet to signal readiness for talks, Beirut has presented what officials describe as a “technical incentive” aimed at reviving diplomacy. The government has agreed in principle to allow civilian technical experts - engineers and cartographers, not diplomats or politicians - to join its military negotiating team if needed. The arrangement would apply to the five-party mechanism overseeing the November 2024 cessation-of-hostilities agreement, to help verify and clarify disputed boundary points.

Officials say this approach draws on Lebanon’s previous experience in the maritime border talks with Israel between October 2020 and October 2022, when a technical delegation participated in indirect negotiations hosted by the United Nations in Naqoura under US mediation. Beirut believes the same formula could help settle outstanding land-border disputes.

Aoun, who under Lebanon’s constitution holds the authority to negotiate international treaties, reiterated that his country is “ready for negotiations to end the Israeli occupation,” but stressed that “any talks must be based on mutual will, which does not yet exist.” The form, timing, and venue of any negotiations, he added, would be determined later.

Lebanon’s official stance rules out any direct negotiations with Israel or the participation of political or diplomatic figures, confining the process to military representatives. This format satisfies Hezbollah, which rejects direct engagement, while Israel has pushed for talks led by political or diplomatic officials to broaden their scope beyond technical and security issues.

The head of the Lebanese Forces Party, Samir Geagea, countered that the real issue “is not whether Lebanon is represented by soldiers or civilians,” but rather “the fundamental decision the state must take is to dismantle all illegal armed groups on Lebanese soil.”

He stressed that without such a move, “everything else remains a waste of precious time, which Lebanon urgently needs to build a real state, achieve lasting stability, and revive its economy and national prosperity.”



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.