Deadlock in Second Phase of Ceasefire Puts Gaza on Brink of Renewed War

A Palestinian man speaks to a boy sitting on an unexploded rocket in Gaza City’s al-Rimal neighborhood on Wednesday. (AFP)
A Palestinian man speaks to a boy sitting on an unexploded rocket in Gaza City’s al-Rimal neighborhood on Wednesday. (AFP)
TT

Deadlock in Second Phase of Ceasefire Puts Gaza on Brink of Renewed War

A Palestinian man speaks to a boy sitting on an unexploded rocket in Gaza City’s al-Rimal neighborhood on Wednesday. (AFP)
A Palestinian man speaks to a boy sitting on an unexploded rocket in Gaza City’s al-Rimal neighborhood on Wednesday. (AFP)

Efforts to move into the second phase of US President Donald Trump’s ceasefire plan for the Gaza Strip remain stalled, heightening fears of renewed fighting.

Israel is insisting that Hamas hand over the remaining bodies of four Israeli hostages, take clear steps on governing the enclave, disarm Palestinian factions, and start reconstruction only in areas under Israeli control. These demands are closely tied to Israel’s full withdrawal behind what it calls the “yellow line.”

In response, sources from Hamas and the Islamic Jihad said the impasse was pushing events toward what Israel wants, a resumption of war, particularly as Israeli forces still control more than 53 % of Gaza’s territory, the area lying behind the yellow line seen as an initial withdrawal boundary.

Israel also continues to keep the Rafah crossing closed and strictly limits the entry of humanitarian aid.

Body recovery dispute

Field sources from Palestinian factions told Asharq Al-Awsat that major difficulties have hampered the search for the remaining bodies, a process that could take considerable time.

One source said that at least one body was in the custody of the Islamic Jihad, while another was believed to be held by Hamas’s military wing, al-Qassam Brigades.

The sources said the two remaining bodies “could be found if search operations were intensified without Israeli restrictions, especially since they are believed to be in areas east of the yellow line.”

During the ceasefire negotiations, Hamas had already warned that returning the bodies would be a complicated process requiring time, a position that several sources said mediators understood.

On Wednesday, Israel allowed a joint team from Hamas and the International Committee of the Red Cross to enter the center of the Shujaiya neighborhood in eastern Gaza to search for the bodies of Israeli hostages.

Two bodies had been recovered in recent days during separate operations in the same residential block where Israel had previously assassinated senior commanders of the Shujaiya Battalion during the war.

‘Target bank’

Hamas sources believe Israel is deliberately obstructing the implementation of the remaining clauses of the truce agreement, despite Trump’s public and private assurances through mediators that progress need not be strictly sequential and that certain steps could be completed while others were delayed.

According to Hamas and other Palestinian faction sources, Israel has intensified its intelligence surveillance, using drones to track leaders and activists in the resistance, compiling a “target bank” in preparation for potential violations of the ceasefire, as it did twice within two weeks of the truce taking effect.

“These operations aim primarily to disrupt the agreement and block the transition to the second phase,” one source said. “Israel’s focus is to resume the war, whether by the same methods or through new ones.”

‘Israel won’t operate freely’

A Hamas political source said any response to Israel’s refusal to implement the truce would be made “by consensus through a unified Palestinian position,” adding that “we will not allow Israel to remain inside the Gaza Strip and act with unchecked security freedom.”

The source said Israel has yet to honor all provisions of the first phase of the deal, continuing to restrict the entry of basic goods, heavy engineering equipment for clearing rubble, and construction materials needed to repair hospitals, schools, and key infrastructure.

It has also blocked fuel shipments for Gaza’s only power plant and for municipalities to provide essential services.

Hamas, the source added, is monitoring these developments with mediators, “but Israel sees itself above everyone and acts accordingly,” while Palestinian factions remain committed to fulfilling their side of the agreement “to deny Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu any pretext to restart the war.”

Pressure on civilians

Mustafa Ibrahim, a political analyst and writer, said Israel’s policy of restricting food and fuel supplies was aimed at reminding civilians that “the war has not truly ended and will not stop unless Hamas leaves Gaza.”

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that Israel was complicating the situation by rejecting several options proposed by mediators.

Ibrahim said Netanyahu and some of his ministers were trying to evade the ceasefire’s political implications for domestic reasons by reigniting tensions in Gaza.

“They are doing this through daily killings of Palestinians under weak pretexts, as well as the two major bombardments that hit various parts of the Strip since the truce took effect, and by escalating on the Lebanese front,” he said.

“These are clear indicators of Israel’s intentions.”

He predicted that the situation in Gaza would likely remain unchanged as Israel continues using these pretexts to stall progress on the second phase of Trump’s plan.

“Mediators now face a major test to prove they can compel Netanyahu’s government to comply,” he said. “Only the US administration has the power to make that happen.”



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.