Lebanese President: Logic of Force No Longer Useful

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun meets with the Council of the Order of Press Editors led by Joseph Kossaifi (Lebanese Presidency)
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun meets with the Council of the Order of Press Editors led by Joseph Kossaifi (Lebanese Presidency)
TT

Lebanese President: Logic of Force No Longer Useful

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun meets with the Council of the Order of Press Editors led by Joseph Kossaifi (Lebanese Presidency)
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun meets with the Council of the Order of Press Editors led by Joseph Kossaifi (Lebanese Presidency)

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun affirmed on Wednesday that the logic of force is no longer useful and that Lebanon must resort to the power of logic, indicating that the government has not received a response from Israel on his announcement of favoring negotiations.

Meanwhile, Speaker Nabih Berri urged on Wednesday the committee monitoring the ceasefire between Lebanon and Israel to stop the Israeli attacks and occupation, and called on the Lebanese to stay united in the face of the Israeli aggression.

Aoun and Berri’s positions came while the ceasefire committee held its 13th meeting in Al-Naqoura, headed by chairman, US General Joseph Clearfield, but in the absence of US envoy Morgan Ortagus, who attended the committee’s last meeting.

According to sources, the committee discussed the escalating Israeli violations, especially those recorded last week in the south, particularly an incident near a Lebanese army base, which Lebanon said constitutes a flagrant violation of the ceasefire agreement.

Accept Negotiations Before Setting Conditions
During a meeting with a delegation from the Council of the Order of Press Editors led by Joseph Kossaifi, Aoun said: “The war has only brought us tragedies. While the region moves toward settlements, then what choice do we have?”

Aoun noted that Lebanon has not yet received feedback from Washington regarding its proposal for negotiations with Israel.

He expressed cautious optimism, saying he expects progress once the new US ambassador to Lebanon (Michel Issa) arrives, potentially carrying a response from Israel.

“We have mentioned the principle of negotiation and we are yet to discuss the details, but we have not received an (Israeli) answer to our proposal. When we get an approval, we would talk about our conditions,” the President said.

Aoun then asked “are we capable of entering a war and can the rhetoric of war solve the problem? Let someone answer these two questions.”

Asked whether he had addressed these points directly with Hezbollah, Aoun confirmed that he had. “Yes, I told them openly,” he said. “The approach of force is no longer of use- we must rely on the power of logic instead. After 15 years of war in Vietnam, the United States was obliged to go to negotiations, and Hamas has also been obliged to go to negotiations.”

Virtual Investigation
Discussing the Beirut port explosion, Aoun said he had “contacted senior Bulgarian officials, and obtained approval to conduct a virtual investigation with the owner of the vessel MV Rhosus, which carried the ammonium nitrate that caused the 2020 Beirut explosion in the Lebanese capital.

He said Lebanese Justice Minister Adel Nassar will raise soon an official request to his Bulgarian counterpart in this regard.

Elections and National Dialogue
Aoun explained that calls for a national dialogue before the upcoming parliamentary elections would amount to a “dialogue of the deaf.”

He said there is firm determination from himself, Speaker Nabih Berri, and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam to hold next year’s parliamentary elections on time despite “some (officials) not wishing elections to take place.”

No Handing Lebanon Over to Syria
Aoun dismissed talk of “handing Lebanon over to Syria” as unjustified and unnecessary.
He described as positive the last meeting between US President Donald Tramp and Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa in Washington this week, affirming that the lifting of US sanctions on Syria will have a positive impact on Lebanon.

Berri Calls for National Approach
Meanwhile, Berri on Wednesday said the Israeli threat facing south Lebanon constitutes a danger to all Lebanese, adding that such threats must be addressed “with a national approach.”

“The Israeli threats that have targeted and continue to target the south actually concern all Lebanese. [They] must understand these dangers, these challenges, and their consequences in a national context,” he said.

On the sidelines of a meeting with a delegation of religious leaders representing the governorate of Akkar, Berri urged the ceasefire monitoring committee and member states to stop Israel's attacks and occupation, and called on the Lebanese to stay united in the face of the Israeli aggression.

 

 



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.