Lebanese Army Shows its Efforts in Imposing State Monopoly over Arms, Rules Out Deadline Extension

Members of the army are seen at the entrance of a tunnel in Zibqin. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Members of the army are seen at the entrance of a tunnel in Zibqin. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Lebanese Army Shows its Efforts in Imposing State Monopoly over Arms, Rules Out Deadline Extension

Members of the army are seen at the entrance of a tunnel in Zibqin. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Members of the army are seen at the entrance of a tunnel in Zibqin. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The Lebanese army presented a field briefing on its work to remove Hezbollah’s weapons south of the Litani River, in an indirect response to Israeli pressure in the media and escalated attacks.

The army said it had completed more than 80% of Operation Shield of the Nation, which is aimed at restricting weapons in the area south of the Litani, and reported full cooperation from residents, without mentioning Hezbollah’s role.

The statement came as the Health Ministry said 335 people had been killed in Israeli attacks since the ceasefire took effect a year ago.

1,308 killed and wounded

The Health Ministry released figures showing casualties from Israeli attacks since the ceasefire was signed, covering the period from November 28, 2024, to November 27, 2025.

It said 335 people were killed and 973 wounded, a total of 1,308.

Army outlines results of weapons plan

In its first public accounting of its operations in the South Litani Sector, headed by Brig. Gen. Nicolas Tabet, the army said it had completed more than 80% of the plan mandated by the government to impose state monopoly over arms.

During a tour for journalists along the Blue Line, Tabet said the army had seized about 230,000 items during survey and inspection operations, including ammunition, tunnels, rocket platforms, rockets and weapons.

Tabet said from the sector headquarters at the Benoit Barakat barracks in Tyre that the army had handled 177 tunnels since the plan began, closed 11 passages along the Litani River, and confiscated 566 rocket launchers.

He said there was no intention to request an extension for the current phase, which is due to end at the end of the year.

Residents cooperate

Tabet said residents were cooperating, without referring to Hezbollah’s involvement. He said Israel had provided no proof to the mechanism overseeing the ceasefire that weapons had been smuggled.

He added that the army had faced no obstacles and that residents were assisting the military and welcoming the presence of the state.

Although information indicates that Hezbollah has not cooperated with the army by providing maps of its military infrastructure and tunnels, the army is proceeding alone.

It has reported cooperation from residents who notify troops when they find any sites or weapons, allowing the army to deal with them, and there have been no confrontations or objections from Hezbollah.

Hundreds of tunnels

Journalists toured one tunnel for fighters in the town of Zibqin that stretches about 100 meters.

An army source told Asharq Al-Awsat there were hundreds of similar tunnels along the border. The tunnel sits between trees on a hill about 50 meters high and contains a room, a kitchen and first aid equipment.

The source said the tunnel, built for personnel, was used for shelter and overnight stays after rocket launches.

10,000 troops south of the Litani

“We are showing media outlets the full details of the army’s plan for the first time, and no one has proven that any weapons were brought into the area south of the Litani,” Tabet said, adding that there was full cooperation from residents.

He said 10,000 soldiers were deployed south of the river despite challenges, and that the army runs 200 positions there. Twenty army posts had been destroyed by Israeli attacks, he added.

30,011 missions

Tabet said Israeli violations continued along the frontier and that the army had carried out 30,011 military missions south of the Litani. He repeated that implementation of the plan had surpassed 80% without obstacles or challenges and said the army was committed to international resolutions.

He stressed that the plan did not include entering homes except in cases of someone being “caught in the act”.

“The homes that were recently struck were civilian, and we were not asked to inspect them. We inspected them after the strikes and confirmed no weapons were inside,” he said.

He added that the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) had withdrawn a number of its assets and naval units and that 640 of its personnel had left Lebanon so far.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.