Israel Resumes South Lebanon Strikes after Netanyahu-Trump Talks

Smoke rises after Israeli airstrikes hit the Jabal al Rihan heights in southern Lebanon (AFP)
Smoke rises after Israeli airstrikes hit the Jabal al Rihan heights in southern Lebanon (AFP)
TT

Israel Resumes South Lebanon Strikes after Netanyahu-Trump Talks

Smoke rises after Israeli airstrikes hit the Jabal al Rihan heights in southern Lebanon (AFP)
Smoke rises after Israeli airstrikes hit the Jabal al Rihan heights in southern Lebanon (AFP)

Israel resumed airstrikes in southern Lebanon on Friday shortly after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu returned from a visit to the United States, where he met US President Donald Trump, as Israeli officials signaled possible military action if Beirut fails to advance to the next phase of a plan to confine Hezbollah’s weapons north of the Litani River.

The ceasefire monitoring committee, also known as the mechanism, is tracking Lebanon’s political and diplomatic efforts, as well as local measures, aimed at preventing a renewed war.

The mechanism is expected to hold a military-level meeting next week to review developments.

Meanwhile, the Lebanese government is also due to receive a briefing next week from Lebanese Army Commander General Rodolphe Haykal on progress in implementing the state’s decision to contain the proliferation of weapons in stages.

Airstrikes resume

Israeli bombardment in Lebanon had eased after Netanyahu departed for the United States, with no intense airstrikes recorded as had been occurring on a weekly and repeated basis.

That situation changed following the end of the visit and Netanyahu’s return to Israel, where he is expected to meet Israeli officials on Saturday to brief them on his trip.

Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported that Israeli warplanes carried out airstrikes deep inside Lebanon, hitting the Louaizeh heights, the Mrouj Aqmata area in the Iqlim al Tuffah highlands, the Wadi Aazze Zefta area, the outskirts of Ansar in Nabatieh district, the Tabna area on the outskirts of Bissariyeh in the Zahrani region, and Mount Mashghara in the western Bekaa in eastern Lebanon.

The strikes totaled ten air raids, all within a contiguous geographic belt stretching from the coast to eastern Lebanon, north of the Litani.

Israeli army spokesman Avichay Adraee said on Friday that Israeli forces had carried out strikes on Hezbollah sites in several areas of southern Lebanon.

Writing on X, he said the army targeted what he described as terrorist infrastructure belonging to the group, including a training complex used by the Radwan Force, Hezbollah’s elite unit, and military buildings that he said were used to store weapons.

He said the presence of the targeted infrastructure and the conduct of military training constituted a violation of understandings between Israel and Lebanon.

North of the Litani

All the strikes hit deep valleys and uninhabited areas that have been repeatedly bombed since the ceasefire came into force in November 2024. The locations lie between about 20 kilometers east and 40 kilometers west of the border with Israel.

Earlier on Friday, an Israeli drone struck an excavator in the border town of Aita al Shaab.

Israeli warplanes also violated Lebanese airspace, flying at low altitude over villages in the Tyre district, while two Israeli aircraft breached the airspace over the city of Baalbek and surrounding villages in eastern Lebanon.

Israel has launched a new phase of military strikes since last month, focused on areas north of the Litani, after the Lebanese government announced the completion of the first phase of its plan to confine weapons to official military and security forces south of the river, and preparations to begin the second phase north of the Litani, extending to the Awali River, about 50 kilometers from the southern border.

Netanyahu’s deadline

The strikes followed the end of Netanyahu’s five-day visit to the United States.

Israel’s public broadcaster had reported earlier this week that Netanyahu instructed the military to suspend operations until his return, in order to avoid what it described as an unwanted entanglement during his meeting with Trump.

Israeli media reported on Friday that, upon Netanyahu’s return, security chiefs would be briefed on understandings and agreements reached with Trump.

Israeli media also suggested that Israel could act on its own if Lebanon fails to meet its commitments to implement weapons exclusivity north of the Litani, amid Hezbollah’s refusal to cooperate.

Hezbollah officials have said the priority should be for Israel to meet its obligations under the ceasefire, including withdrawing from occupied Lebanese points, halting attacks, releasing detainees, and launching reconstruction.

Hezbollah’s priorities

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan Ezzedine said at a memorial event in southern Lebanon that the United States was trying, through politics, pressure and conspiracies, to achieve what Israel failed to accomplish militarily.

He said Lebanon and the resistance had fulfilled all obligations under the agreements, while Israel continued to evade any commitment.

He called on the Lebanese state and the sponsors of the agreement to compel Israel to stop its attacks, paving the way for an internal national dialogue on strategies to safeguard Lebanon’s strength and sovereignty, without foreign interference.

Ezzedine said the government had clear responsibilities outlined in its ministerial statement, foremost liberating land, stopping attacks, securing the release of detainees, and launching reconstruction.

He said inaction was unjustified, arguing the state could raise its voice in international forums, expose Israeli violations, issue a clear political decision mandating the Lebanese army to take all necessary measures to protect sovereignty, and ensure the return of citizens to their villages and properties, particularly in frontline areas.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.