Gaza Administration Committee Meets in Cairo Amid Cautious Optimism

Palestinians salvage belongings from a home after an Israeli military attack west of Deir al Balah in central Gaza (AFP)
Palestinians salvage belongings from a home after an Israeli military attack west of Deir al Balah in central Gaza (AFP)
TT

Gaza Administration Committee Meets in Cairo Amid Cautious Optimism

Palestinians salvage belongings from a home after an Israeli military attack west of Deir al Balah in central Gaza (AFP)
Palestinians salvage belongings from a home after an Israeli military attack west of Deir al Balah in central Gaza (AFP)

The Gaza ceasefire agreement entered a new phase on Friday with the first meeting in Cairo of a technocrat committee tasked with administering the enclave, following its formation by Palestinian consensus, a welcome from Washington, and the absence of an official Israeli objection after earlier reservations.

The inaugural meeting came hours after Israel killed eight Palestinians, prompting Hamas to accuse it of “sabotaging the agreement,” leaving analysts expressing cautious optimism about the ceasefire’s trajectory in light of these developments and the continued Israeli strikes.

They stressed the need for a decisive US position to complete the requirements of the second phase, which began with the formation of the Gaza administration committee and faces major obstacles, including the entry of aid, an Israeli withdrawal, and the disarmament of Hamas.

Egyptian satellite channel Al-Qahera News reported on Friday that the first meeting of the Palestinian National Committee for the Administration of Gaza had begun in the Egyptian capital, with Palestinian Ali Shaath in the chair.

In his first media appearance, Shaath said the committee had officially started its work from Cairo and consists of 15 professional Palestinian national figures. He said the committee had received financial support and had been allocated a two-year budget, which is the duration of its mandate.

He called for the establishment of a World Bank fund for the reconstruction and relief of Gaza, noting that influential countries in the region had promised substantial, tangible financial support.

Shaath said the relief plan is based on the Egyptian plan approved by the Arab League in March 2025, which spans five years and is estimated to cost about $53 billion, and has been welcomed by the European Union.

He added that the first step adopted by the Gaza administration committee was to supply 200,000 prefabricated housing units to the territory.

Hamas said on Friday it was ready to hand over control of Gaza to a technocratic administration.

In a statement, it warned that “massacres” committed by the Israeli army in Gaza, including the killing of nine Palestinians, among them a woman and a child, in air strikes and gunfire targeting displaced people’s tents, underscored Israel’s continued policy of undermining the ceasefire agreement and obstructing declared efforts to entrench calm in the enclave.

Hamas described the attacks as a “dangerous escalation” that coincided with mediators announcing the formation of a technocratic government and the entry into the second phase of the agreement, as stated on Wednesday, as well as US President Donald Trump’s announcement on Thursday of the establishment of a Board of Peace.

It called on mediators and guarantor countries to shoulder their responsibilities by pressuring Israel to halt its violations and comply with what was agreed.

On Thursday, Trump announced the creation of a Gaza-focused Board of Peace, saying the parties had officially entered the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement.

The Gaza government media office said in a statement the same day that Israel had committed 1,244 violations of the ceasefire during its first phase, resulting in the killing, injury, or arrest of 1,760 Palestinians since the deal took effect.

Rakha Ahmed Hassan, a member of the Egyptian Council for Foreign Affairs and a former assistant foreign minister, said the launch of the committee’s work was extremely important and effectively removed one of Israel’s pretexts regarding the presence of Hamas, particularly since the committee is technocratic and enjoys consensus.

He said that while this undermines those pretexts and marks the end of Hamas’s political authority, developments must be handled cautiously and completed with the deployment of stabilization forces and a Palestinian police presence, provided no new Israeli obstacles emerge.

Palestinian political analyst Ayman al-Raqab also voiced cautious optimism, telling Asharq Al-Awsat that the committee faces major challenges, notably administering a territory that has been completely devastated, as well as Israeli complications related to the weapons of the resistance and opposition to full reconstruction and withdrawal.

Mediator efforts are continuing. Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty received a phone call from US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff regarding next steps and procedures following the transition to the second phase of Trump’s plan.

According to an Egyptian foreign ministry statement on Friday, the call emphasized the need to move forward with implementing the second phase’s obligations, including the start of work by the Palestinian technocrats committee following its formation, the deployment of an international stabilization force to monitor the ceasefire, the achievement of an Israeli withdrawal from the Strip and the launch of early recovery and reconstruction.

Hassan said Egypt’s role remains crucial and focused on completing the agreement without Israeli obstruction, particularly as the Rafah crossing was not opened during the first phase, and delays persist in deploying stabilization forces to oversee border crossings.

He stressed that Washington would seek to complete the agreement to preserve its credibility.

Al-Raqab said that any progress in the second phase and avoiding a repeat of the first phase’s stagnation hinges on US support for fully implementing the deal, particularly securing an Israeli withdrawal rather than just addressing disarmament.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.