Sudan Hospital Welcomes First Patients after War Forced It Shut

Women walk outside Bahri Teaching Hospital after it resumed services in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on January 18, 2026. (Photo by Ebrahim Hamid / AFP)
Women walk outside Bahri Teaching Hospital after it resumed services in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on January 18, 2026. (Photo by Ebrahim Hamid / AFP)
TT

Sudan Hospital Welcomes First Patients after War Forced It Shut

Women walk outside Bahri Teaching Hospital after it resumed services in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on January 18, 2026. (Photo by Ebrahim Hamid / AFP)
Women walk outside Bahri Teaching Hospital after it resumed services in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on January 18, 2026. (Photo by Ebrahim Hamid / AFP)

At a freshly renovated hospital in Khartoum the medical team are beaming: nearly three years after it was wrecked and looted in the early days of Sudan's war, the facility has welcomed its first patients.

The Bahri Teaching Hospital in the capital's north was stormed by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces in April 2023, soon after fighting broke out between the RSF and Sudan's army.

Bahri remained a war zone until an army counteroffensive pushed through Khartoum last year, recapturing the area from the RSF in March.

A man waits outside the entrance to the emergency room while others walk through Bahri Teaching Hospital after resuming services in Khartoum, January 18, 2026 (AFP)

"We never thought the hospital would reopen," said Dr Ali Mohamed Ali, delighted to be back in his old surgical ward.

"It was completely destroyed, there was nothing left," he told AFP. "We had to start from scratch."

Ali fled north from Khartoum in the early days of the war, working in a makeshift medical camp with "no gloves, no instruments and no disinfectant".

According to the World Health Organization, the conflict has forced the shutdown of more than two-thirds of Sudan's health facilities and caused a world record number of deaths from attacks on healthcare infrastructure.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed across Sudan since the war began, while 11 million have been left displaced, triggering the world's largest hunger crisis.

But with the RSF now driven out of Khartoum, Sudan's army-backed government is gradually returning and the devastated city is starting to rebuild.

Around 40 of Khartoum's 120 hospitals, shut during the war, have resumed operations, according to the Sudan Doctors' Network, a local medical group.

People enter Bahri Teaching Hospital after resuming services in the Sudanese capital, January 18, 2026 (AFP)

- 'In ruins' -

The Bahri Teaching Hospital, which before the conflict treated around 800 patients a day in its emergency department, was repeatedly attacked and looted.

"All the equipment was stolen," said director Galal Mostafa, adding that about 70 percent of its buildings were damaged and the power system was destroyed.

"We were fortunate to receive two transformers just days ago," said Salah al-Haj, the hospital's chief executive.

During the first five days of fighting, Al-Haj -- an affable man with a sharp grey moustache -- was trapped inside one wing of the hospital.

"We couldn't leave because of the heavy gunfire," he told AFP, saying that anyone "who stepped outside risked being detained and beaten" by the RSF.

Patients were rushed to safety in dangerous transfers to hospitals away from the fighting across the Nile.

"Vehicles had to take very complicated routes to evacuate patients safely, avoiding shells and bullets," Al-Haj said.

On April 15, 2023, as the first shots rang out in the capital, RSF fighters seized Ali on his way into surgery.

They held him for two weeks at Soba, an RSF-run detention center in southern Khartoum whose former inmates have shared testimony of torture and inhumane conditions.

"When I was released, the country was in ruins," he said.

Hospitals were "destroyed, streets devastated and homes looted. There was nothing left."

Almost three years on, taxis now drop patients at the hospital's entrance, while new ambulances sit parked in a courtyard that until recently was strewn with rubble and overgrown weeds.

Inside, refurbished corridors smell of fresh paint.

The renovations and new equipment were funded by the Sudanese American Physicians Association and Islamic Relief USA at a cost of more than $2 million, according to the association.

Services have resumed in newly fitted emergency, surgical, obstetrics and gynecology rooms.

Doctors, nurses and administrators hustle through the halls, the administrators fretting over covering salaries and running costs.

"Now it's much better than before the war," said Hassan Alsahir, a 25-year-old intern in the emergency department.

"It wasn't this clean before, and we were short on beds -- sometimes patients had to sleep on the floor."

On its first day reopened, the hospital received a patient from the Kordofan region -- the war's current major battleground -- for urgent surgery.

"The operation went well," said Ali.



Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.


Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.