Iran War Fears Cast Shadow Over Gaza Ceasefire

A young girl carries a bag on her back as she walks along a road in the Nuseirat Palestinian refugee camp north of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza. (AFP)
A young girl carries a bag on her back as she walks along a road in the Nuseirat Palestinian refugee camp north of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza. (AFP)
TT

Iran War Fears Cast Shadow Over Gaza Ceasefire

A young girl carries a bag on her back as she walks along a road in the Nuseirat Palestinian refugee camp north of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza. (AFP)
A young girl carries a bag on her back as she walks along a road in the Nuseirat Palestinian refugee camp north of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza. (AFP)

As momentum builds around efforts to advance the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement, the risk of a broader confrontation between the United States and Iran is resurfacing, threatening to upend regional priorities amid Israeli moves that are fueling growing concern.

Experts speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat warned that the Gaza agreement is increasingly vulnerable, saying any strike on Tehran would deliberately draw Israel into a broader escalation aimed at disrupting implementation of the second phase, covering Israeli violations and potentially derailing the deal altogether.

Their warnings came alongside explicit Egyptian caution, voiced on Friday by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, over the consequences of further escalation.

Those concerns coincided with a buildup of US military forces in the Middle East and threats by President Donald Trump to strike Iran, even as he has also said he does not oppose dialogue with Tehran.

On June 13, 2025, Israel, with US support, launched an attack on Iran that lasted 12 days, targeting military and nuclear sites as well as civilian facilities, and killing commanders and scientists. Iran responded by striking Israeli military and intelligence facilities with missiles and drones.

On June 22, the US attacked Iran’s nuclear facilities, claiming it had neutralized them. Tehran retaliated by shelling the US Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, before Washington announced on June 24 a ceasefire between Tel Aviv and Tehran.

Egyptian warnings

Sisi said in remarks on Friday to students at the Police Academy east of Cairo that “the Iranian crisis is escalating and could have an impact on the region.”

He added: “We are making major efforts, quietly, to reach dialogue in any way possible to reduce escalation in the Iranian crisis. We are mindful that if fighting breaks out, it could have grave repercussions for our region, as well as economic consequences.”

The president’s remarks came a day after Israeli media reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had held a security meeting on Iran, and as Israel’s public broadcaster announced on Friday the arrival of a US destroyer at the port of Eilat.

Israeli media said the arrival of the destroyer had been planned and was part of cooperation between the Israeli and US militaries.

Rakha Ahmed Hassan, a member of the Egyptian Council for Foreign Affairs and a former assistant foreign minister, said Israel benefits from any war and could exploit it to expand what he described as its destructive plans in Gaza and to cover them up, further complicating matters.

Palestinian political analyst Nizar Nazzal said the indicators point to military action against Iran, with unmistakable Israeli efforts through incitement and mobilization, and a desire by Netanyahu to pursue such a course.

He added that Egypt has genuine concerns about the repercussions for the region, with the Gaza agreement likely to be among the first casualties.

Amid the potential escalation, a statement from Netanyahu’s office on Friday said that, in accordance with the ceasefire agreement and the directives of the political leadership, the Rafah crossing will be opened on Sunday in both directions for limited individual movement only.

It added that additional inspections will be conducted at a security checkpoint operated by the security establishment in the area under Israeli army control.

In his speech on Friday, in which he warned of the consequences of striking Iran, the Egyptian president also called for implementation of the second phase of the Gaza agreement, saying this was “extremely important.”

Nazzal said Netanyahu could exploit a strike on Iran to sabotage or delay the start of the second phase of the ceasefire.

Until any potential strike takes place in the coming days or weeks, he said, Netanyahu may divide the phase into parts and prolong its implementation, as seen in what he described as maneuvering and conditions aimed at undermining the opening of the Rafah crossing.

That, he added, allows Netanyahu to evade commitments such as withdrawing from Gaza.

Disruption to the Gaza agreement

Israel’s Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper reported that political and security circles stress Netanyahu is not currently seeking a full-scale war.

It said he is instead working to narrow the options available to Iran’s leadership through indirect coordination with the Trump administration, while projecting that Israel is ready for all scenarios and that a decision could be taken at any moment.

Hassan criticized what he described as US-Israeli propaganda, expressing concern over the killing of thousands of protesters in Tehran, while showing no concern over the killing of 75,000 Palestinians by Israel or the failure to open the Rafah crossing to allow aid for the starving.

He said the Gaza agreement is tied to Trump’s credibility, and that any threat to it would make him the biggest loser.

Nazzal said mediators of the Gaza agreement are working to prevent Israel from benefiting from any strike, and to ensure that halting or swiftly ending its repercussions is vital in forcing Israel to implement the deal.

He added that Netanyahu supports a strike because it would serve his interests, warning that if war breaks out, it will reach Israel and the Gaza agreement will be disrupted.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.