US Moves to Pursue Benghazi Consulate Attack Suspects

Zubayar al-Bakoush before arriving in the US last week. Photo: FBI Director Kash Patel on X
Zubayar al-Bakoush before arriving in the US last week. Photo: FBI Director Kash Patel on X
TT

US Moves to Pursue Benghazi Consulate Attack Suspects

Zubayar al-Bakoush before arriving in the US last week. Photo: FBI Director Kash Patel on X
Zubayar al-Bakoush before arriving in the US last week. Photo: FBI Director Kash Patel on X

Many Libyan figures have begun looking over their shoulders after their names were cited in a US indictment accusing them of involvement in the 2012 attack on the US consulate compound in the eastern city of Benghazi, which killed US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

Statements by a former Central Intelligence Agency official suggest Washington is determined to widen the net to arrest all suspects said to have been involved in what it describes as a “terrorist attack.”

The campaign has not been limited to those previously detained, including Zubayar al-Bakoush.

Libyan rights activists said members of the Joint Force, led by Omar Boughdada, arrested Abrik Mazek al-Zawi, a member of the Ajdabiya Shura Council known as “Abrik al-Masriya,” in the Tamina area of Misrata.

The interim Government of National Unity, headed by Abdul Hamid Dbeibah, did not comment on the incident. Witnesses said an “armed security force abducted him.”

Al-Zawi, born in 1978, lived in the Al-Fateh district of Ajdabiya in eastern Libya. He worked in the housing and utilities sector and had previously served on the Ajdabiya Shura Council.

Over the past two days, US authorities published photographs of 29 Libyans extracted from surveillance footage taken during the storming of the US diplomatic compound and a CIA annex in Benghazi. They called on Libyans to provide information about the individuals, a day after announcing the arrest of al-Bakoush, who is accused of taking part in the 2012 assault.

Stevens was killed in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack along with US State Department employee Sean Smith and former Navy SEALs Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods.

Al-Bakoush’s wife, Basma al-Fakhri, previously said that a heavily armed force identifying itself as belonging to the Internal Security Agency stormed their home earlier this month and took her husband away.

She said she went to the agency’s headquarters the next day to deliver medicine and clothes, only to receive an official statement denying any link to the arrest.

In addition to al-Bakoush and al-Zawi, US authorities previously took custody of Abu Anas al-Libi in 2013, Ahmed Abu Khattala in 2014, and Abu Agila Masud in 2022.

Abu Anas al-Libi was tried on charges linked to the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania and died in prison in 2015. Abu Khattala was convicted in the Benghazi compound attack case and is serving a prison sentence.

Abu Agila Masud has been appearing before a federal court in Washington since being handed over by the Government of National Unity in early December 2022, on suspicion of involvement in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland.

Al-Bakoush faces eight criminal charges, according to the US Justice Department, including providing material support and resources to terrorist organizations, resulting in the deaths of four Americans. The indictment says he took part in the ground assault as part of the armed group that breached the compound’s entrance.

Since the suspects’ photos were circulated, Sarah Adams, a former CIA officer and national security expert, has weighed in on the crisis.

Writing on her account on X, she spoke of empowering individuals linked to extremist groups to hold official positions, and alleged that two prominent suspects in planning the attack later became ambassadors, giving them official cover and broad international mobility.

She also alleged the presence of “sleeper elements” inside the United States benefiting from transnational organizational frameworks.

Relations between Washington and Tripoli appear “to be fine” at present. Massad Boulos, a senior adviser to the US president, visited the Libyan capital twice in recent weeks.

Libyan political analyst Osama al-Shahoumi said reopening the Benghazi consulate attack file “did not come out of nowhere.”

Speaking to Libyan TV on Thursday evening, he said, “There is a long list of names that have not been held accountable, and the information has been available for years.”

Al-Shahoumi added that when he asked Adams whether new indictments could be unveiled in the future, as in al-Bakoush’s case, she said she hoped so, “because we want to remove more senior terrorists from the battlefield.”



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".