UN: Almost 700,000 Displaced, 84 Children Killed after Israeli Strikes on Lebanon

An explosion erupts following an Israeli airstrike on the village of Abbasiyeh in southern Lebanon on March 10, 2026 -  (Photo by KAWNAT HAJU / AFP)
An explosion erupts following an Israeli airstrike on the village of Abbasiyeh in southern Lebanon on March 10, 2026 - (Photo by KAWNAT HAJU / AFP)
TT

UN: Almost 700,000 Displaced, 84 Children Killed after Israeli Strikes on Lebanon

An explosion erupts following an Israeli airstrike on the village of Abbasiyeh in southern Lebanon on March 10, 2026 -  (Photo by KAWNAT HAJU / AFP)
An explosion erupts following an Israeli airstrike on the village of Abbasiyeh in southern Lebanon on March 10, 2026 - (Photo by KAWNAT HAJU / AFP)

The humanitarian crisis in Lebanon has deepened amid the wider Middle East war, with 84 children killed and more than 667,000 people displaced, two UN agencies said on Tuesday, as lives are upended on a massive scale across the country.

A total of 486 people have been killed in the war so far and 1,313 injured, of which 259 are children, according to the World Health Organization.

"This is only seven-days conflict, and we are already seeing that almost 100 children that have lost their lives," said Abdinasir Abubakar, WHO representative in Lebanon.

"One reason why we have a high number of children is that most of the attacks that we see actually is, it's urban centers, like in Beirut," he said, adding that Israel's airstrikes, which it says target Hezbollah infrastructure, are putting civilian lives at risk.

The current rate of displacement in Lebanon is outpacing levels seen during the 2023-24 war between Hezbollah and Israel, the UN Refugee Agency said on Tuesday. During that conflict, 886,000 people were internally displaced in Lebanon, while tens of thousands of Israelis were evacuated from northern towns near the Lebanese border.

ISRAEL ORDERS EVACUATION

Lebanon's sharp rise in displacement this week stems from large-scale evacuation orders issued by the Israeli army for southern Lebanon and Beirut's densely populated southern suburbs, which the UN human rights chief said on Friday raised serious concerns under international law.

The WHO warned that Lebanon's hospitals and frontline responders were under "extraordinary strain" trying to manage the rising number of patients.

Five hospitals are now out of service, four partially damaged, and 43 primary healthcare centers are closed - mostly in the south, which has been largely evacuated, Abubakar said.

"Many of the people fleeing were also fleeing back in 2024. We met many who then had their homes completely destroyed, family members killed and so on. So this means that people are not waiting to see what will happen next. They leave immediately," said Karolina Lindholm Billing, UNHCR representative in Lebanon.

Some 120,000 people are staying in government-designated shelters, while others are still looking for somewhere to stay, the UNHCR said, citing government figures.

"Many others are staying with relatives or friends or still searching for accommodation, and we see cars lined along the street with people sleeping in them and also on the sidewalks," Billing said.



Syria Says No Turkish Build-up Planned

18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa
18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa
TT

Syria Says No Turkish Build-up Planned

18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa
18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani has said that he made clear to Israel his government wasn't working with Türkiye to amass a military presence at a Syrian airbase — but Israel went ahead and attacked the site anyway.

Israel struck the Abu al-Duhur airbase in Syria on Tuesday, warning Syria was on the verge of violating a "status quo agreed with Israel in security matters" by allowing Turkish troops to deploy at the airbase.

"[T]here was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site," Al-Shaibani said in one of eight written responses to questions from Axios on Wednesday.

US President Donald Trump told Axios in a phone call that he'd been briefed on the Israeli strike, but did not criticize it.

"I can't talk about it," he said. He declined to say whether his briefing came before or after the strike.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said on Thursday that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was "dragging Türkiye into dangerous adventures in Syria.”

Katz, in a post on X, said his country would not "allow any entity to threaten its security."

The strikes on Tuesday follow worsening security tensions between Israel and Türkiye and increasingly sharp rhetoric between the two countries over Syria, where both countries' militaries are active.

Türkiye firmly rejected on ⁠Wednesday what it called "untenable allegations" by Israel regarding its military position in Syria after Israel said Syria was on the verge of permitting Turkish troops to deploy there.


Katz: Erdogan 'Dragging Türkiye Into Dangerous Adventures in Syria'

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)
TT

Katz: Erdogan 'Dragging Türkiye Into Dangerous Adventures in Syria'

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)

The Israeli defense minister on Thursday accused President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of dragging Türkiye into "dangerous adventures in Syria,” after Israel tacitly acknowledged a strike on a north Syria air base earlier in the week.

"Israel will not allow any entity to threaten its security," Israel Katz wrote on X in both Hebrew and Turkish. "It is preferable for Erdogan to continue delivering empty, delusional speeches against Israel in the Turkish parliament rather than testing Israel's resolve to defend itself," he added.

The Turkish presidency said Wednesday that Israeli allegations that Syria had allowed Turkish forces to deploy at Abu al-Duhur were “baseless.”

Israel carried out eight airstrikes Tuesday on the base in southeastern Idlib province near the Turkish border.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office accused Syria of accepting a Turkish troop deployment, saying Israel had repeatedly warned Damascus that such a move would threaten its security but that those warnings had been ignored.

Israel “will not tolerate any threats to its security,” the statement said, adding that it would welcome a return to the status quo.


Lebanon: Israeli Airstrikes, Artillery Fire Hit Ali al-Taher, Explosions Reported in South

15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Lebanon: Israeli Airstrikes, Artillery Fire Hit Ali al-Taher, Explosions Reported in South

15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Israeli warplanes carried out a series of overnight airstrikes and artillery shelling on Ali al-Taher hill and the outskirts of al-Dabsha, while explosions were reported in Majdal Zoun and Mansouri in southern Lebanon, Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported on Thursday.

“Israeli warplanes carried out a series of overnight strikes on Ali al-Taher hill and the area around al-Dabsha, on the northern outskirts of Nabatieh al-Fawqa and Kefr Rumman”, said NNA. They were subject to intermittent artillery fire until dawn, added the agency.

In the southern city of Tyre, the Israeli forces carried out explosions, overnight and at dawn, in Majdal Zoun and Mansouri, alongside artillery shelling of the two towns.

Israel launched a war against Lebanon on March 2 after Hezbollah fired rockets at northern Israel. Israeli forces occupied several towns in southern Lebanon.

A ceasefire was announced on June 20, after which the frequency of Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon declined.