Lebanon Between 2026 War and Negotiation Talks Next Week

Residents search for belongings in the rubble of a building hit by an Israeli strike in the Ain el-Mreisseh area of Beirut (Reuters)
Residents search for belongings in the rubble of a building hit by an Israeli strike in the Ain el-Mreisseh area of Beirut (Reuters)
TT

Lebanon Between 2026 War and Negotiation Talks Next Week

Residents search for belongings in the rubble of a building hit by an Israeli strike in the Ain el-Mreisseh area of Beirut (Reuters)
Residents search for belongings in the rubble of a building hit by an Israeli strike in the Ain el-Mreisseh area of Beirut (Reuters)

Lebanon, under sustained Israeli air strikes and an open war, is entering a pivotal week as it prepares for preliminary meetings expected next week that could open a new negotiating track to secure a ceasefire, stabilize the border, and regulate the south.

The move brings Lebanese-Israeli negotiations back into focus, not as a precedent, but as a continuation of a path shaped by wars and facts on the ground.

The key shift lies in the form. Most past negotiations were indirect, conducted through the United Nations, international mediators, or technical committees. Lebanon has seen only one formal round of direct negotiations at this level, the May 17, 1983, agreement. That makes the 2026 track, in form, the closest parallel, though it differs sharply in context, conditions, and aims.

From armistice to border demarcation: indirect track

Negotiations between Lebanon and Israel began with the 1949 Armistice Agreement, signed in Naqoura after the 1948 war and the Lebanese army’s participation in the al-Malikiyyah battle.

It established a ceasefire, adopted the armistice line based on international borders, and set up a joint committee under UN supervision.

Since then, all frameworks, except the 1983 deal, have stayed within indirect or technical formats.

In April 1996, Israel’s “Grapes of Wrath” operation and the Qana massacre led to the April Understanding, which barred targeting civilians. It set up a monitoring committee including Lebanon, Israel, the US, France, and Syria, helping curb escalation until Israel’s withdrawal from the south in 2000.

After the 2006 war, United Nations Security Council Resolution 1701 set the international framework for the southern border, including a halt to hostilities, deployment of the Lebanese army south of the Litani River, expansion of UNIFIL, and restricting weapons in the area to the state.

In 2022, US-mediated indirect talks on maritime borders ended with the adoption of Line 23 and recognition of Lebanon’s right to develop the Qana field, seen as a model for technical, non-political negotiation.

In November 2024, border escalation produced a fragile ceasefire that included partial Israeli withdrawal from some points, expanded Lebanese army deployment south of the Litani, and a halt to hostilities. Repeated violations and weak implementation exposed its limits, prompting calls for a stricter mechanism.

“Mechanism”: toward direct engagement

In 2025, the term “mechanism” emerged as a practical framework to anchor a ceasefire. The proposal centers on a five-party committee including Lebanon, Israel, the US, France, and the United Nations, backed by technical and field monitoring.

Lebanon insists the Lebanese army alone must implement any arrangements on its territory, rejecting any Israeli operational role on the ground.

This marks the core shift. Unlike previous talks, which were indirect or technical, the 2026 meetings are set to be direct or semi-direct, making them the second such test after May 17.

Second time since 1983

Former MP Fares Soaid said Lebanon is entering “the second instance of formal direct negotiations with Israel,” after the first, which followed the 1982 invasion, when President Amine Gemayel pursued talks to secure Israeli withdrawal and reach an understanding.

He said 1983 unfolded under vastly different conditions. “The obstacles were enormous. The Cold War shaped the scene, and the Soviet Union, led by Yuri Andropov, opposed any track that could pull Lebanon fully into the US camp,” he said.

Arab capitals, led by Damascus under Hafez al-Assad, were not supportive, and Lebanese public opinion, especially among Muslims, was not ready, he added.

Although the May 17 agreement won majority backing in parliament, Damascus, aligned with the Soviet camp, mobilized local forces, leading to the February 6 uprising and the collapse of the deal, effectively besieging Gemayel in Baabda, Soaid said.

He said 2026 presents a different landscape. “There is no Soviet veto, the international climate is more positive, and Arab and Islamic positions are more open to negotiations,” he said.

“There is no objection from Damascus and no real internal opposition. The negotiating delegation is expected to be formed in line with the constitution and presidential powers,” he added, saying the chances of success are far higher than in 1983.

Negotiation is not normalization

A Lebanese parliamentary source said conflating negotiation with normalization has no legal or political basis, stressing that talks do not amount to diplomatic recognition or normal relations.

Lebanon has repeatedly negotiated, from the armistice to the April Understanding and the maritime demarcation, without changing its legal or political stance toward Israel, the source said.

“Negotiation is a political decision governed by international law and the Vienna and Geneva conventions,” the source said, adding that legal doctrine does not treat negotiation as recognition.

Lebanon has used multiple formats, from separate rooms to technical committees, all confined to specific files tied to security, borders, and sovereignty.

“The issue is not the form, but the substance,” the source said. “If the goal is to stabilize borders, stop violations, and restore sovereignty, that falls within the core duties of the Lebanese state.”



Israeli Strikes Pound South, East Lebanon

 Plumes of smoke billow from southern Lebanon following Israeli strikes, as seen from Marjeyoun, Lebanon May 24, 2026. (Reuters)
Plumes of smoke billow from southern Lebanon following Israeli strikes, as seen from Marjeyoun, Lebanon May 24, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Strikes Pound South, East Lebanon

 Plumes of smoke billow from southern Lebanon following Israeli strikes, as seen from Marjeyoun, Lebanon May 24, 2026. (Reuters)
Plumes of smoke billow from southern Lebanon following Israeli strikes, as seen from Marjeyoun, Lebanon May 24, 2026. (Reuters)

Israeli strikes hit south and east Lebanon on Sunday, state media reported, a day after 11 people were killed in a single raid on the south despite a ceasefire in the Israel-Hezbollah war.

Saturday's strike in Sir al-Gharbiyeh "resulted in a massacre whose final toll is 11 dead including a child and six women, and nine wounded including four children and a woman," Lebanon's health ministry said in a statement.

Israel's military has continued to strike what it says are Hezbollah targets in Lebanon despite a ceasefire that began on April 17 and that was recently extended for several weeks.

The Iran-backed group has also maintained attacks on Israeli targets in southern Lebanon and across the border, including firing rockets on Sunday at Israeli troops operating on Lebanese territory.

Lebanon's official National News Agency reported Israeli strikes on multiple locations in south and east Lebanon on Sunday, in some cases causing casualties.

Some of the raids came before the Israeli military issued two evacuation warnings covering more than a dozen villages in Lebanon's south and the eastern Bekaa valley.

An AFP correspondent saw large clouds of smoke rising after strikes on the south's Nabatieh and Zawtar al-Sharqiyah.

Lebanon's civil defense agency said early on Sunday that its regional facility in Nabatieh had been destroyed by an overnight Israeli strike.

An AFP photographer saw civil defense personnel recovering equipment and using a stretcher to remove oxygen bottles from the rubble.

The Israeli army did not immediately provide any comment on the strike in response to an inquiry from AFP's Jerusalem bureau.

- Iran -

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan Fadlallah, whom the US sanctioned this week, said Sunday that "major transformations are taking place in the region", amid anticipation that a US-Iranian agreement to end the Middle East war was close.

Iran "has made its agreement with the United States conditional on stopping the war in Lebanon", he said, according to a statement.

On Saturday, Hezbollah said its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, saying Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators emphasized "the demand to include Lebanon" in the broader ceasefire.

Fadlallah said that "the war will not just stop in Iran, but across the whole region, particularly in Lebanon", urging Lebanese authorities to "take advantage of this regional umbrella... which will have repercussions on us".

Lebanese authorities recently began landmark direct talks with Israel under US auspices, and have insisted the discussions must be independent from the Iran-US negotiations.

Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the Middle East war on March 2 with rocket fire at Israel in retaliation for the killing of Iran's supreme leader in US-Israeli strikes.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".

Israeli troops who invaded Lebanon are also operating inside an Israeli-occupied "yellow line" running around 10 kilometers (six miles) deep along Lebanon's southern border.


Gaza Hospital Says Child among Three Killed in Israeli Strike

Residents inspect the rubble of a building that belongs to the Palestinian family of Abu Saif and was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
Residents inspect the rubble of a building that belongs to the Palestinian family of Abu Saif and was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
TT

Gaza Hospital Says Child among Three Killed in Israeli Strike

Residents inspect the rubble of a building that belongs to the Palestinian family of Abu Saif and was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
Residents inspect the rubble of a building that belongs to the Palestinian family of Abu Saif and was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)

A pre-dawn Israeli airstrike killed three members of a Palestinian family, including a one-year-old child, in central Gaza on Sunday, a hospital said.

Gaza remains gripped with daily violence despite a formal ceasefire in place since October, with both the Israeli military and Hamas accusing one another of violating the truce, says AFP.

Al-Aqsa Martyrs hospital in Deir el-Balah said it had received the bodies of a couple and their infant after an Israeli strike hit a residential apartment in the Al-Nuseirat camp before dawn.

The hospital said around 10 people were wounded.

There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military about the three deaths, though it said it had struck three Hamas weapons storage facilities in central Gaza over the preceding 24 hours.

A ceasefire has been in place in Gaza since October, but Israel reserves the right to strike targets it deems a threat.

At least 890 Palestinians have been killed since the October 10 ceasefire, according to Gaza's health ministry, which operates under Hamas authority and whose figures are considered reliable by the UN.

The Israeli military says five of its soldiers have also been hit during the same period.

Media restrictions and limited access in Gaza have prevented AFP from independently verifying casualty figures or freely covering the fighting.


Iraq’s Nujaba Movement Warns against ‘US Plot’ to Integrate PMF in New Security Ministry

Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
TT

Iraq’s Nujaba Movement Warns against ‘US Plot’ to Integrate PMF in New Security Ministry

Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)

The Iran-aligned Nujaba Movement in Iraq warned on Saturday against an “American plot” to merge the pro-Iran Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) in state institutions, presenting new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi with his first test in imposing state monopoly over arms.

It made its warning in wake of a visit to Iraq earlier this week by former US Central Command Commander David Petraeus, who also previously led US forces stationed in Iraq.

The new Iraqi government appears to be a taking a tougher stance against the Iran-aligned armed factions in the country in wake of attacks launched from Iraq against Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Riyadh and Abu Dhabi have said the attacks were launched from Iraqi territory. Zaidi has slammed the attacks as “criminal acts”.

Spokesperson for the Commander-in-Chief of the Iraqi Armed Forces Sabah al-Numan said the committee probing the attacks will cooperate with Riyadh and Abu Dhabi to uncover the perpetrators.

“The official statements are not up for debate: the security of our brothers is a read line and there can be no replacing the rule of law,” he said in statements carried by the official state news agency INA.

Any party found responsible for the attacks will face judicial and military measures, he vowed, adding that the attacks were a “threat to Iraq’s national security and flagrant violation of its sovereignty”.

On the state monopoly over arms, al-Numan said the decision “is not a mere political slogan, but a security strategy that must be implemented.”

“The success of the government will be measured by how much it establishes itself as the sole party that holds power over weapons,” he stressed.

Prominent armed factions, such as the Kataib Hezbollah and Kataib Sayyid al-Shuhada, have not made any statements over the recent developments.

The Nujaba Movement, however, has openly defied the state’s decision to impose monopoly over weapons.

The party, which is seen as the most hardline, has also rejected attempts to restructure the PMF.

Deputy head of the movement’s executive council Hussein al-Saeedi said: “The resistance’s weapons are not open to compromise.”

“Stripping the factions of their weapons will leave society exposed to the ongoing threats,” he declared from Basra.

He also slammed as an “American plot” the alleged plan to merge the PMF with the federal police and other forces as part of a new “federal security ministry”.

He said such efforts are “futile” and “impossible to execute”, warning that insisting on forging ahead with the plan will have “political and popular implications.”