Saudi ‘Atheeb’ CEO: Profitability Achieved, Capital Increase Part of Transformation Strategy  

Etihad Atheeb Telecommunications Co., trading as “GO,” participated in the annual LEAP technology exhibition in the Saudi capital, Riyadh. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Etihad Atheeb Telecommunications Co., trading as “GO,” participated in the annual LEAP technology exhibition in the Saudi capital, Riyadh. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi ‘Atheeb’ CEO: Profitability Achieved, Capital Increase Part of Transformation Strategy  

Etihad Atheeb Telecommunications Co., trading as “GO,” participated in the annual LEAP technology exhibition in the Saudi capital, Riyadh. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Etihad Atheeb Telecommunications Co., trading as “GO,” participated in the annual LEAP technology exhibition in the Saudi capital, Riyadh. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The CEO of Saudi telecommunications company “Etihad Atheeb Telecommunications Co.” revealed that the company has shifted from losses to profitability due to five key factors, with the foremost being the development of local talent recruitment and a strategic transformation plan.

Yahya bin Saleh bin Mohsen Al Mansour said that debt settlement with creditors, re-establishing relationships with suppliers, and the return of the company’s stock to trading were instrumental in this turnaround.

Previously, Atheeb had recorded a loss of approximately SAR 1.67 million Saudi Riyals ($455,000) in the quarter ending on June 30, 2022, but it has since achieved a net profit of SAR 52.6 million ($14 million).

Al Mansour emphasized that the company, founded in 2009, faced challenging phases marked by intense competition and accumulated losses, which adversely affected both shareholders and investors alike.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Al Mansour pointed out that in the year 2021, the company reached a crossroads, with either bankruptcy looming or one last chance to turn things around. The latter option was the chosen course of action.

“I joined the company as CEO with an exceptional executive team, which was one of the key factors contributing to the company’s success,” said Al Mansour.

“Together, we devised a 100-day plan that proved successful, thanks to the aforementioned factors in achieving profitability,” he added.

“The company has consecutively achieved profitability for four quarters, driven by both the business sector and contracts, whether with the government sector or corporate entities, including Hail University, the Najran Emirate, the Tabuk Emirate and SABIC,” he revealed.

According to Al Mansour, the business sector experienced significant growth that had a positive impact on the company’s performance, in addition to cost reduction.

Atheeb had submitted a capital increase request to the Saudi Arabian Capital Market Authority (CMA) by way of rights issue valued at SAR 250 million ($66.6 million).

Al Mansour stated that the request was based on the company having developed a comprehensive transformation strategy encompassing multiple facets. Among the most crucial aspects are the enhancement of network infrastructure, product development, talent acquisition, customer experience improvement, and digital transformation.

Al Mansour emphasized that the execution of this strategy necessitates funding, especially for projects related to infrastructure development and technological advancements to meet the latest requirements of the Saudi market and its customers.

He further clarified that the proceeds from the offering will primarily be utilized to finance the company’s transformation projects, in addition to repaying some of its debts to improve its financial position.

He explained that Atheeb’s transition from loss to profitability, along with a noticeable improvement in its financial and operational performance, as well as winning significant government projects, has had a positive impact on its financial standing in the market, its market capitalization, and the value of its shares.

These factors have encouraged investors and attracted both local and foreign investments.

“In addition to operating in a promising market in Saudi Arabia with the support of Vision 2030, coupled with the improvement and implementation of our transformation strategy, we have positioned ourselves competitively in the telecommunications sector,” Al Mansour told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Also, he emphasized that the implementation of the transformation strategy has begun to yield positive results.

“The company has started to achieve favorable outcomes, including increased revenues, improved services, and an enhanced customer experience driven by network and infrastructure enhancements,” affirmed Al Mansour.

This progress extends to both the business and individual sectors, as well as significant government projects.

The company has also placed a strong focus on cost optimization, financial improvement, and reducing its debt load.

These factors have converged to enhance the company’s operational standing, which has had a positive impact on its financial performance.



Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia has introduced greater flexibility into its investment environment, allowing government entities, under strict controls to safeguard spending efficiency and ensure the delivery of critical projects, to seek exceptions to contract with international companies that do not have regional headquarters in the kingdom.

The Local Content and Government Procurement Authority notified all government bodies of the mechanism to apply for exemptions through the Etimad digital platform.

The step is designed to balance enforcement of the “regional headquarters relocation” decision, in force since early 2024, with the needs of technically specialized projects or those driven by intense price competition.

Under a government decision that took effect at the start of 2024, state entities, including authorities, institutions and government-affiliated funds, are barred from contracting with any foreign commercial company whose regional headquarters in the region is located outside Saudi Arabia.

According to the information, the Local Content and Government Procurement Authority informed all entities of the rules governing contracts with companies that lack a regional headquarters in the kingdom and related parties.

Government entities may request an exemption from the committee for specific projects, multiple projects or a defined time period, provided the application is submitted before launching a tender or initiating direct contracting procedures.

Submission mechanism

In two circulars, the authority detailed how to submit exemption requests and clarified the cases in which contracting is permitted under the controls. It said the exemption service was launched on the Etimad platform in November 2025.

The service is available to entities that float tenders through Etimad. Requests for tenders launched before the service went live, as well as those issued outside the platform, will continue to follow the previously adopted process.

Etimad is the kingdom’s official financial services portal run by the Ministry of Finance, aimed at driving digital transformation of government procedures and boosting transparency and efficiency in managing budgets, contracts, payments, tenders and procurement. The platform streamlines transactions between state entities and the private sector.

Technical criteria

When issuing the contracting controls, the government made clear that companies without a regional headquarters in Saudi Arabia, or related parties, are not barred from bidding for public tenders.

However, their offers can only be accepted in two cases: if there is no more than one technically compliant bid, or if the offer ranks among the best technically and is at least 25% lower in price than the second-best bid after overall evaluation.

Contracts with an estimated value of no more than 1 million riyals ($266,000) are also exempt. The minister may, in the public interest, amend the threshold, cancel the exemption or suspend it temporarily.

More than 700 headquarters

More than 700 multinational companies had relocated their regional headquarters to Riyadh by early 2026, exceeding the initial target of attracting 500 companies by 2030. The program seeks to cement the kingdom’s position as a regional business hub and to localize global expertise.

When announcing the contracting ban, Saudi Arabia said the move was intended to incentivize foreign firms dealing with the government and its affiliated entities to adjust their operations.

It aims to create jobs, curb economic leakage, raise spending efficiency and ensure that key goods and services procured by government entities are delivered inside the kingdom with appropriate local content.

The government said the policy aligns with the objectives of the Riyadh 2030 strategy unveiled during the recent Future Investment Initiative forum, where 24 multinational companies announced plans to move their regional headquarters to the Saudi capital.

It stressed that the decision does not affect any investor’s ability to enter the Saudi economy or continue working with the private sector.

 


IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
TT

IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko

The International Monetary Fund on Thursday said its board ​would review a staff-level agreement for a new $8.1 billion lending program for Ukraine in coming days.

IMF spokeswoman Jule Kozack told reporters that Ukrainian authorities had completed the prior actions needed to move forward with the request ⁠of a new ⁠IMF program, including submission of a draft law on the labor code and adoption of a budget.

She said Ukraine's economic growth in 2025 ⁠was likely under 2%. After four years of war, the country's economy had settled into a slower growth path with larger fiscal and current account balances, she said, noting that the IMF continues to monitor the situation closely.

"Russia's invasion continues to take a ⁠heavy ⁠toll on Ukraine's people and its economy," Kozack said. Intensified aerial attacks by Russia had damaged critical energy and logistics infrastructure, causing disruptions to economic activity, Reuters quoted her as saying.

As of January, she said, 5 million Ukrainian refugees remained in Europe and 3.7 million Ukrainians were displaced inside the country.


US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
TT

US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Wall Street stocks retreated early Thursday as worries over US-Iran tensions lifted oil prices while markets digested mixed results from Walmart.

US oil futures rose to a six-month high as Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Islamic republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"We'd call this an undercurrent of concern that is bubbling up in oil prices," Briefing.com analyst Patrick O'Hare said of the "geopolitical angst."

About 10 minutes into trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.6 percent at 49,379.46, AFP reported.

The broad-based S&P 500 fell 0.5 percent to 6,849.35, while the tech-rich Nasdaq Composite Index declined 0.6 percent to 22,621.38.

Among individual companies, Walmart rose 1.7 percent after reporting solid results but offering forecasts that missed analyst expectations.

Shares of the retail giant initially fell, but pushed higher after Walmart executives talked up artificial intelligence investments on a conference call with analysts.

The US trade deficit in goods expanded to a new record in 2025, government data showed, despite sweeping tariffs that Trump imposed during his first year back in the White House.