Saudi Arabia Calls for ‘Proactive Measures’ in Oil Market

Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman addresses the opening session of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Climate Week in Riyadh, on October 8, 2023. (Photo by Fayez Nureldine / AFP)
Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman addresses the opening session of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Climate Week in Riyadh, on October 8, 2023. (Photo by Fayez Nureldine / AFP)
TT

Saudi Arabia Calls for ‘Proactive Measures’ in Oil Market

Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman addresses the opening session of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Climate Week in Riyadh, on October 8, 2023. (Photo by Fayez Nureldine / AFP)
Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman addresses the opening session of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Climate Week in Riyadh, on October 8, 2023. (Photo by Fayez Nureldine / AFP)

Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman has said it was necessary to be "proactive" on the oil market and attempt to bring stability to it, while adding that oil producers do not target prices.

In a Russian TV interview aired Thursday, Prince Abdulaziz said the market was unpredictable and "cannot be left on its own."

"We are not magicians. It is hard to forecast what will happen on the market even in half a year," he told Rossiya-24 state TV.

The minister said the need to act on the oil market depended on its volatility, adding that attempts to target prices had failed in the 1980s.

Saudi Arabia and Russia have agreed to continue with voluntary oil supply cuts of 1.3 million barrels per day, or more than 1 percent of global demand, to the end of the year.

Abdulaziz said the terms of the deal would be evaluated every month.

In the same interview, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak said Russia's deal with OPEC+ had had a stabilizing effect.

He noted that the balance between supply and demand is fragile and could be affected by the slowdown in global economic growth.

Abdulaziz stated that the two countries seek to strengthen trade relations, while Novak explained that Russia and Saudi Arabia discussed the mutual lifting of visa restrictions.

Meanwhile, Novak said on Thursday that Russia's pledges to the OPEC+ group to cut its oil exports included a reduction in oil products, according to news agencies.

Novak's statement stoked confusion over Russia's plans to reduce oil supplies.

In his original announcement of the plans to cut oil exports by 300,000 barrels per day (bpd), Novak had not mentioned oil products but had spoken only about oil.

"When we talk about the oil market and production, oil is produced and then supplied for processing. Therefore, of course, everything is considered together. The final product, of course, takes into account the volumes that are produced," Novak said in response to a question on whether oil products were included in the export reductions, according to Interfax news agency.

It would be easier for Moscow to cut overall exports of crude oil and fuel after Russia announced on Sept. 21 a ban on fuel exports to tackle domestic shortages and high prices. It lifted the ban on most oil products last week.

- OPEC maintains demand expectations

On Thursday, OPEC stuck to its forecast for relatively substantial growth in global oil demand in 2023 and 2024, citing signs of a resilient world economy this year and expected further demand gains in China.

The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) said in a monthly report that world oil demand will rise by 2.25 million barrels per day (bpd) in 2024, compared with growth of 2.44 million bpd in 2023.

Both forecasts were unchanged from last month.

A lifting of pandemic lockdowns in China has helped oil demand rise in 2023.

OPEC consistently forecasts stronger demand growth for next year than other forecasters, such as the International Energy Agency (IEA).

"In 2024, solid global economic growth, amid continued improvements in China, is expected to boost oil consumption further," OPEC said in the report.

The report also said that demand in the rest of this year and next could take a hit in some parts of the world and trimmed its forecasts for total world demand in the current quarter and the first three months of 2024.

OPEC said: "Looking ahead and despite the usual seasonal rise in heating oil demand, ongoing uncertainty and economic developments in OECD Europe and other areas are expected to impact oil demand in the remainder of 2023 and 2024."

The OPEC report also said OPEC oil production rose in September despite pledged OPEC+ supply cuts, driven by increases in Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait.

Meanwhile, the International Energy Agency said in its latest monthly oil market report that while the Israel-Hamas war had not yet directly impacted physical supply, oil markets would "remain on tenterhooks" as the crisis unfolds.

"The Middle East conflict is fraught with uncertainty, and events are fast developing," the IEA said in its report.

"Against a backdrop of tightly balanced oil markets anticipated by the IEA for some time, the international community will remain laser-focused on risks to the region's oil flows," the energy agency added.

Noting a "sharp escalation in geopolitical risk," the IEA said it would continue closely monitoring oil markets and "stands ready to act if necessary to ensure markets remain adequately supplied."



Moody’s Establishes Regional HQ in Riyadh, Deepening Presence in Region

(FILES) Signage for Moody's Corporation is displayed at their headquarters at 7 World Trade Center on March 18, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by ANGELA WEISS / AFP)
(FILES) Signage for Moody's Corporation is displayed at their headquarters at 7 World Trade Center on March 18, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by ANGELA WEISS / AFP)
TT

Moody’s Establishes Regional HQ in Riyadh, Deepening Presence in Region

(FILES) Signage for Moody's Corporation is displayed at their headquarters at 7 World Trade Center on March 18, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by ANGELA WEISS / AFP)
(FILES) Signage for Moody's Corporation is displayed at their headquarters at 7 World Trade Center on March 18, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by ANGELA WEISS / AFP)

Moody’s Corporation announced that it has established its regional headquarters in Riyadh, reflecting ongoing commitment to support the development of the Kingdom’s capital markets and economy.

“This investment aligns to the Kingdom's Vision 2030 initiative and underscores its dynamism and growth,” Moody’s said in a statement this week.

The new regional headquarters marks an expansion of Moody’s presence in Saudi Arabia, where the company first opened an office in 2018, and reflects its longstanding commitment to the Middle East.

“The headquarters will strengthen Moody’s engagement with Saudi institutions and enable broader access to Moody’s decision grade data, analytics and insights,” said the statement.

“Our decision to establish a regional headquarters in Riyadh reflects our confidence in Saudi Arabia’s strong economic momentum, as well as our commitment to helping domestic and international investors unlock opportunities with our expertise and insights,” said President and Chief Executive Officer of Moody’s Rob Fauber.

“We are well positioned to provide the analytical capabilities and market intelligence that investors and institutions need to navigate evolving markets across the Middle East,” the statement quoted him as saying.

Mahmoud Totonji will lead the regional headquarters as General Manager.


Saudi Arabia Launches First Endowment Fund for Environmental, Water and Agricultural Sustainability

The launch of the Namaa Endowment Fund (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The launch of the Namaa Endowment Fund (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia Launches First Endowment Fund for Environmental, Water and Agricultural Sustainability

The launch of the Namaa Endowment Fund (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The launch of the Namaa Endowment Fund (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia has launched its first endowment fund dedicated to advancing environmental, water and agricultural sustainability, reinforcing efforts to strengthen the Kingdom’s non-profit sector and long-term development.

Minister of Environment, Water and Agriculture Eng. Abdulrahman Al-Fadhli on Tuesday inaugurated the Namaa Endowment Fund at the ministry’s headquarters, in the presence of senior officials and stakeholders.

The fund is designed to support economic and social development goals, address community needs, increase the non-profit sector’s contribution to GDP, and promote sustainable management of environmental, water and agricultural resources.

Al-Fadhli said the fund represents a new model of institutional endowment work and a practical mechanism to expand developmental impact while ensuring the sustainability of non-profit initiatives.

Developed in partnership with the General Authority for Awqaf, the fund aims to build assets commensurate with its ambitions, enabling higher returns and a wider impact over the long term.

It will pursue carefully structured investments that balance financial performance with developmental outcomes, with the potential to own or benefit from real estate assets that can be used by non-profit organizations.

Encouraging Private-Sector Participation

Al-Fadhli added that the ministry, in cooperation with the General Authority for Awqaf, the Capital Market Authority and AlAhli Capital, will support the fund and encourage contributions from the private sector, business leaders and the wider public.

Contributions will be made through a licensed digital platform under strict financial governance. He called on all segments of society to contribute in support of sustainable development across the environment, water and agriculture sectors.

Namaa will finance endowment initiatives within the ministry’s ecosystem, including the non-profit institutions Reef, Morooj and Saqaya. Its focus areas include water provision and conservation, afforestation, biodiversity protection, vegetation cover, the circular economy, sustainable agriculture and irrigation, and reducing food loss and waste.

Emad Alkharashi, Governor of the General Authority for Awqaf, announced an initial contribution of SAR100 million, describing it as a foundation for a sustainable endowment model.

He said the fund combines the legacy of endowments with modern investment practices to protect natural resources, strengthen food security and ensure lasting developmental impact.

Alkharashi added that the partnership with the ministry maximizes results and positions the fund as a model for directing endowments toward high-impact, long-term priorities through a transparent, well-governed institutional framework.


Makkah Gears Up for Ramadan with Tourism Drive, Record Hospitality Growth  

Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Makkah Gears Up for Ramadan with Tourism Drive, Record Hospitality Growth  

Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Tourism has raised the readiness of Makkah’s hospitality sector to its highest level ahead of the holy month of Ramadan, stressing that serving pilgrims and visitors remains a top national priority.

Makkah is preparing to receive worshippers and visitors amid a marked expansion in hospitality capacity. The city now has more than 2,200 licensed accommodation facilities, reflecting growth of 35 percent over the past year. The number of licensed hotel rooms has exceeded 380,000, up 25 percent, while total domestic and inbound tourism spending is projected to surpass SAR 143 billion ($38.1 billion) in 2025.

The wider Makkah region recorded unprecedented performance indicators last year, both in visitor numbers and tourism spending, underscoring sustained growth and operational readiness.

Total domestic and international visitors exceeded 50 million, marking a 14 percent increase compared with 2024.

Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb announced the figures during an annual inspection tour on Tuesday, stressing that the indicators reflect a major expansion in accommodation capacity and record growth in visitor numbers.

The tour included inspections of temporary lodging facilities designated for pilgrims, part of a proactive plan to increase capacity during peak seasons, alongside early preparations for the upcoming Hajj.

Vision 2030 targets surpassed

Official data has shown that Saudi Arabia has exceeded its Vision 2030 targets for the Umrah. The number of pilgrims arriving from abroad rose from 8.5 million in 2019 to more than 18 million in 2025, surpassing the original goal of 15 million by 2030.

A number of hotels surrounding the Grand Mosque in Makkah. (General Authority for Awqaf)

Service quality indicators improved as well, with pilgrim satisfaction reaching 94 percent, exceeding Vision 2030 benchmarks.

Workforce development kept pace with demand, as the number of licensed tour guides rose to more than 980, a 23 percent increase.

Masar Mall project

Al-Khateeb announced a joint financing agreement between the Tourism Development Fund and the Arab National Bank with Hamat Holding to support the Masar Mall project. The development carries a total cost of SAR 936 million (about $250 million).

The project is expected to become the largest shopping center in Makkah with the capacity to accommodate around 20 million visitors annually.

Its location near the Haramain High-Speed Railway station and a direct pedestrian link to the Grand Mosque are expected to strengthen the city’s commercial and tourism infrastructure.

Jeddah: Gateway to pilgrims

Meanwhile, Jeddah continues to consolidate its position as a complementary destination to Makkah and a primary gateway for pilgrims, while also expanding its role as a coastal tourism hub.

The city welcomed more than 13 million domestic and international visitors in 2025, a 10 percent increase from 2024. Tourism spending reached SAR 28 billion ($7.47 billion), up 6 percent year on year.

Jeddah’s hospitality sector also expanded, with more than 500 licensed facilities and over 33,000 licensed rooms.

The city is currently developing 46 tourism projects valued at SAR 21 billion ($5.6 billion) and expected to add more than 11,000 hotel rooms and further strengthen its tourism infrastructure and economic value.