Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong to Establish Fund to Track Stock Indices

CEO of the Saudi Tadawul Group, Khalid Al-Hussan (Asharq Al-Awsat)
CEO of the Saudi Tadawul Group, Khalid Al-Hussan (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong to Establish Fund to Track Stock Indices

CEO of the Saudi Tadawul Group, Khalid Al-Hussan (Asharq Al-Awsat)
CEO of the Saudi Tadawul Group, Khalid Al-Hussan (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The first global edition of the Capital Markets Forum, organized by the Saudi Tadawul Group and the Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEX), kicked off in Hong Kong on Thursday, in the presence of over 650 people from around the world, including financial leaders, investors and representatives of regulators and enterprises.
The forum highlights the Hong Kong stock exchange operator’s latest strategy to attract new investors, with the aim to replace stockholders from the United States and Europe who may be deterred from doing business in China at a time of rising geopolitical tensions. Last month, the country's securities regulator said that it would encourage more companies to hold IPOs in the city.
The forum discusses important investment prospects through global partnerships and the means to exploit investment opportunities in the Kingdom and China, as well as studying future investment portfolios.
At the opening of the forum, the CEO of the Saudi Tadawul Group, Khalid Al-Hussan, said that the decision to host the Capital Markets Forum in Hong Kong demonstrates the growing relationship between Saudi Arabia and Asia, adding that the event would constitute a major bridge for investors from the two countries and pave the way for a more integrated system of global capital markets.
“The convergence between Hong Kong’s technological development and the Kingdom’s ambitious economic diversification enables a new era of knowledge exchange and cooperation that extends beyond the capital markets,” he stated.
Al-Hussan explained that during the forum, more than a thousand investors from listed companies and financial industry leaders will gather to explore challenges and prospects in the field of sustainability, innovation, and global investment trends.
For her part, Hong Kong Exchanges & Clearing Ltd. CEO Bonnie Chan said that she expects large initial public offerings (IPOs) to return to the city with the improvement of basic conditions and the support of Chinese regulators.
In her speech during the opening ceremony, she said that the Hong Kong Stock Exchange received more than 100 new listing applications this year, with activity rebounding, especially after the support measures taken by China.
Hong Kong has returned to the radar of global investments, after the China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC) announced last month that it would facilitate IPOs in Hong Kong by leading Chinese companies. The regulatory body also announced the expansion of the cross-border investment scheme to strengthen the city’s position as an international financial center.
The new measures began to attract money flows into the market, and trading value rose, Chan underlined, which she said created a more favorable environment for companies to launch their IPOs.
The Hong Kong Stock Exchange has had a difficult time in recent years. The faltering Chinese economy and increasing disputes between Beijing and Washington have exhausted investor interest in China-linked stocks.
Meanwhile, Hong Kong Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong said in a statement on Thursday that Hong Kong and Saudi Arabia are exploring the creation of an exchange-traded fund (ETF) tracking Hong Kong indices.
He added that the Hong Kong government is currently working with several financial institutions to develop the ETF.
Wong also reaffirmed Hong Kong’s commitment to its partnership with Saudi Arabia, noting that Cathay Pacific Airways is expected to re-launch direct passenger flights between Hong Kong and Riyadh.



Oil Prices Extend Gains on Concerns of Potential US-Iran Conflict

FILE PHOTO: The Phillips 66 Lake Charles Refinery is pictured in West Lake, Louisiana, US, June 12, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Bachman/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The Phillips 66 Lake Charles Refinery is pictured in West Lake, Louisiana, US, June 12, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Bachman/File Photo
TT

Oil Prices Extend Gains on Concerns of Potential US-Iran Conflict

FILE PHOTO: The Phillips 66 Lake Charles Refinery is pictured in West Lake, Louisiana, US, June 12, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Bachman/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The Phillips 66 Lake Charles Refinery is pictured in West Lake, Louisiana, US, June 12, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Bachman/File Photo

Oil prices rose on Thursday as the US and Iran attempted to ease a standoff in talks over Tehran's nuclear program while both sides heightened military activity in the key oil-producing region.

Brent futures climbed 23 cents, or 0.3% to $70.58 a barrel by 0735 GMT, while US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude gained 25 cents, or 0.4%, to trade at $65.44 a barrel.

Both benchmarks settled more than 4% higher on Wednesday, posting their highest settlements since January 30, as traders priced in the risk of supply disruptions in the event of ‌a conflict.

"Oil prices are ‌rallying as the market becomes increasingly concerned over the potential ‌for ⁠imminent US action ⁠against Iran," said ING analysts in a Thursday note.

Iranian state media reported the country had shut down the Strait of Hormuz for a few hours on Tuesday, without making clear whether the waterway had fully reopened. About 20% ⁠of the world's oil supply passes through the waterway.

"Tensions between Washington ‌and Tehran remain high, but the prevailing view ‌is that full-scale armed conflict is unlikely, prompting a wait-and-see approach," said Hiroyuki Kikukawa, chief strategist of ‌Nissan Securities Investment, a unit of Nissan Securities.

"US President Donald Trump does not ‌want a sharp rise in crude prices, and even if military action occurs, it would likely be limited to short-term air strikes," Kikukawa added.

A degree of progress was made during Iran talks in Geneva this week but distance remained on some issues, the White House said on Wednesday, ‌adding that it expected Tehran to come back with more details in a couple of weeks.

Iran issued a notice to ⁠airmen (NOTAM) that ⁠it plans rocket launches in areas across its south on Thursday from 0330 GMT to 1330 GMT, according to the US Federal Aviation Administration website.

At the same time, the US has deployed warships near Iran, with US Vice President JD Vance saying Washington was weighing whether to continue diplomatic engagement with Tehran or pursue "another option".

Meanwhile, two days of peace talks in Geneva between Ukraine and Russia ended on Wednesday without a breakthrough, with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy accusing Moscow of stalling US-mediated efforts to end the four-year-old war.

US crude and gasoline and distillate inventories fell last week, market sources said, citing American Petroleum Institute figures on Wednesday, contrary to expectations in a Reuters poll that crude stocks would rise by 2.1 million barrels in the week to February 13.

Official US oil inventory reports from the Energy Information Administration are due on Thursday.


Madinah Sees Tourism Surge Ahead of Ramadan, Spending Tops $13.9 Billion

A cluster of buildings and hotels surrounding the Prophet’s Mosque (SPA). 
A cluster of buildings and hotels surrounding the Prophet’s Mosque (SPA). 
TT

Madinah Sees Tourism Surge Ahead of Ramadan, Spending Tops $13.9 Billion

A cluster of buildings and hotels surrounding the Prophet’s Mosque (SPA). 
A cluster of buildings and hotels surrounding the Prophet’s Mosque (SPA). 

Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Tourism, Ahmed Al-Khateeb, has toured hospitality facilities and visitor services in Madinah as part of the “Spirit of Ramadan” inspection tour, which also included Jeddah and Makkah.

New data show visitor numbers exceeded 21 million over the past year, a 12 percent increase from 2024, while total tourism spending reached SAR 52 billion (about $13.9 billion), up 22 percent.

The visit focused on assessing the sector’s readiness for the Ramadan season, evaluating service quality, and supporting ongoing and upcoming tourism projects.

Madinah posted strong tourism performance in 2025, driven by higher visitor inflows and expanded hospitality capacity, reinforcing its position as a leading religious destination within Saudi Arabia’s tourism landscape.

Demand growth has been matched by a sharp rise in supply. Licensed hospitality facilities increased to 610, up 35 percent, while the number of licensed rooms surpassed 76,000, a 24 percent gain, strengthening the city’s ability to accommodate during peak seasons such as Ramadan and Hajj.

Travel and tourism offices also grew to more than 240, reflecting a 29 percent expansion in supporting services.

Al-Khateeb said the entry of international hospitality brands and new projects over the past five years underscores both sectoral growth and rising investor confidence in the Kingdom’s tourism ecosystem.

“The landscape today is different. The sector is growing steadily, supported by a system that empowers investors and facilitates their journey, with a promising future ahead,” he said.

To expand hotel capacity, the minister inaugurated the Radisson Hotel Madinah, a project worth more than SAR 39 million (around $10 million) and financed by the Tourism Development Fund.

The 2025 performance signals a shift from traditional seasonal growth toward more sustainable expansion built on diversified offerings, improved service quality, and a stronger contribution to the local economy.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Airbus Planning Record Commercial Aircraft Deliveries in 2026

An Airbus A350-1000 at the Singapore Airshow on February 4. The company said Thursday it aims to deliver a record number of aircraft this year. Roslan RAHMAN / AFP/File
An Airbus A350-1000 at the Singapore Airshow on February 4. The company said Thursday it aims to deliver a record number of aircraft this year. Roslan RAHMAN / AFP/File
TT

Airbus Planning Record Commercial Aircraft Deliveries in 2026

An Airbus A350-1000 at the Singapore Airshow on February 4. The company said Thursday it aims to deliver a record number of aircraft this year. Roslan RAHMAN / AFP/File
An Airbus A350-1000 at the Singapore Airshow on February 4. The company said Thursday it aims to deliver a record number of aircraft this year. Roslan RAHMAN / AFP/File

Plane maker Airbus aims to deliver a record number of commercial aircraft this year, the company said Thursday, capitalizing on "strong demand" and a jump in profit in 2025.

"2025 was a landmark year, characterized by very strong demand for our products and services across all businesses," CEO Guillaume Faury said in a press release announcing annual results.

The European manufacturer said it received 1,000 orders for commercial planes in 2025, with net orders of 889 after taking cancellations into account, and 793 delivered.

Last year, its overall profit jumped 23 percent to 5.2 billion euros ($6.1 billion).

The company said it is targeting "around 870 commercial aircraft deliveries" this year.

"As the basis for its 2026 guidance, the Company assumes no additional disruptions to global trade or the world economy, air traffic, the supply chain, its internal operations, and its ability to deliver products and services," it said in its outlook.

Both Airbus and its rival Boeing have struggled to return to pre-pandemic production levels after their entire network of suppliers was disrupted, even as airlines are eager to modernize their fleets with more fuel-efficient aircraft and expand to meet an expected increase in passenger numbers over the coming decades.