Israeli Economy Struggles under Weight of Gaza War

People walk near high-rise buildings in the high-tech business area of Tel Aviv, Israel May 15, 2017. (Reuters)
People walk near high-rise buildings in the high-tech business area of Tel Aviv, Israel May 15, 2017. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Economy Struggles under Weight of Gaza War

People walk near high-rise buildings in the high-tech business area of Tel Aviv, Israel May 15, 2017. (Reuters)
People walk near high-rise buildings in the high-tech business area of Tel Aviv, Israel May 15, 2017. (Reuters)

Nearly a year of war in Gaza has battered Israel's economy, and poverty is now threatening communities including in areas far removed from the fighting against Hamas.

Mass protests against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's controversial judicial reforms had already weakened Israel's economy prior to the Hamas attack on October 7.

But it was dealt a major blow by the impact of the worst attack in its history, and the war that has followed.

"The Israeli economy may be solid, but it is struggling to withstand this war that has lasted too long," said economist Jacques Bendelac, who warned of possible recession should fighting persist.

After shrinking by 21 percent in the fourth quarter of 2023, Israeli GDP rebounded by 14 percent in the first three months of 2024, according to official data.

But growth then turned sluggish in the second quarter at 0.7 percent.

The three main ratings agencies have downgraded Israel's debt.

Fitch predicted in August that the Gaza war -- already the longest since the war that led to Israel's creation -- could stretch into 2025.

"There are risks of it broadening to other fronts," Fitch said.

The focus of the war has in recent days shifted to northern Israel, with Hamas ally Hezbollah battling Israeli forces across the border.

Israel's credit ratings remain high, but top officials have nevertheless blasted the agencies' moves.

Netanyahu has insisted that the economy is "stable and solid" and will improve when the war ends.

- Projects on pause -

Israel's two main growth drivers are tech, which is relatively insulated from the war, and weapons, for which the war is a boon.

But the remaining economic engines of tourism, construction and agriculture "are dying out one after the other", said Bendelac, professor emeritus at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

Israel stopped issuing work permits for Palestinians after the October 7 attack, creating damaging labor shortages, according to Kav LaOved, an Israeli labor rights organization.

Before the war, some 100,000 such permits boosted manpower in the construction, agriculture and industrial sectors, with tens of thousands of Palestinians also working illegally inside Israel.

Kav LaOved says only 8,000 Palestinian workers have been exempted from the entry ban to work in factories deemed essential.

In economic hub Tel Aviv, construction work is on pause, with skyscrapers and transport projects left half-finished.

Tourism has also plummeted since October 7, with the war driving away holidaymakers and religious pilgrims.

From January to July, Israel welcomed 500,000 tourists -- a quarter of the number for the same period the previous year, the tourism ministry said.

With no clients, 47-year-old Hilik Wald gave up his job as a freelance guide in Jerusalem, which had earned him an average of 18,000 Israeli shekels ($4,755) monthly.

He now works part-time on the information desk of a train station.

For nearly six months, the father of two received government assistance to supplement his wage, but he is no longer eligible.

"I hope the war will be over soon," said Wald.

- Long war, slow rebound -

Over the past two decades, Israel grew "on credit consumption, and in crisis situations many families can no longer repay their loans", according to Bendelac.

High living costs combined with an economic slowdown will "inevitably result in an increase in poverty", he said.

Humanitarian organizations in Israel are already reporting a greater need for their services, with new faces appearing in food distribution queues.

At a shopping center parking lot in Rishon Lezion, a coastal city in central Israel, the NGO Pitchon-Lev, or "Open Heart", offers free baskets of fruit, vegetables and meat twice a week.

Since the war began "we have more than doubled our activities", said founder Eli Cohen, noting that the organization supports nearly 200,000 families nationwide.

New beneficiaries include "young people, families whose husbands are reservists, many people who were former donors and all those who were evacuated from their homes", Cohen said of those displaced by border clashes between Israel and Lebanon-based Hezbollah.

As for recovery prospects, Bendelac said "there is always a very strong restart of the economy" whenever war ends.

But, he added, "the longer this war lasts, the slower and more difficult the restart will be".



Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia has introduced greater flexibility into its investment environment, allowing government entities, under strict controls to safeguard spending efficiency and ensure the delivery of critical projects, to seek exceptions to contract with international companies that do not have regional headquarters in the kingdom.

The Local Content and Government Procurement Authority notified all government bodies of the mechanism to apply for exemptions through the Etimad digital platform.

The step is designed to balance enforcement of the “regional headquarters relocation” decision, in force since early 2024, with the needs of technically specialized projects or those driven by intense price competition.

Under a government decision that took effect at the start of 2024, state entities, including authorities, institutions and government-affiliated funds, are barred from contracting with any foreign commercial company whose regional headquarters in the region is located outside Saudi Arabia.

According to the information, the Local Content and Government Procurement Authority informed all entities of the rules governing contracts with companies that lack a regional headquarters in the kingdom and related parties.

Government entities may request an exemption from the committee for specific projects, multiple projects or a defined time period, provided the application is submitted before launching a tender or initiating direct contracting procedures.

Submission mechanism

In two circulars, the authority detailed how to submit exemption requests and clarified the cases in which contracting is permitted under the controls. It said the exemption service was launched on the Etimad platform in November 2025.

The service is available to entities that float tenders through Etimad. Requests for tenders launched before the service went live, as well as those issued outside the platform, will continue to follow the previously adopted process.

Etimad is the kingdom’s official financial services portal run by the Ministry of Finance, aimed at driving digital transformation of government procedures and boosting transparency and efficiency in managing budgets, contracts, payments, tenders and procurement. The platform streamlines transactions between state entities and the private sector.

Technical criteria

When issuing the contracting controls, the government made clear that companies without a regional headquarters in Saudi Arabia, or related parties, are not barred from bidding for public tenders.

However, their offers can only be accepted in two cases: if there is no more than one technically compliant bid, or if the offer ranks among the best technically and is at least 25% lower in price than the second-best bid after overall evaluation.

Contracts with an estimated value of no more than 1 million riyals ($266,000) are also exempt. The minister may, in the public interest, amend the threshold, cancel the exemption or suspend it temporarily.

More than 700 headquarters

More than 700 multinational companies had relocated their regional headquarters to Riyadh by early 2026, exceeding the initial target of attracting 500 companies by 2030. The program seeks to cement the kingdom’s position as a regional business hub and to localize global expertise.

When announcing the contracting ban, Saudi Arabia said the move was intended to incentivize foreign firms dealing with the government and its affiliated entities to adjust their operations.

It aims to create jobs, curb economic leakage, raise spending efficiency and ensure that key goods and services procured by government entities are delivered inside the kingdom with appropriate local content.

The government said the policy aligns with the objectives of the Riyadh 2030 strategy unveiled during the recent Future Investment Initiative forum, where 24 multinational companies announced plans to move their regional headquarters to the Saudi capital.

It stressed that the decision does not affect any investor’s ability to enter the Saudi economy or continue working with the private sector.

 


IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
TT

IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko

The International Monetary Fund on Thursday said its board ​would review a staff-level agreement for a new $8.1 billion lending program for Ukraine in coming days.

IMF spokeswoman Jule Kozack told reporters that Ukrainian authorities had completed the prior actions needed to move forward with the request ⁠of a new ⁠IMF program, including submission of a draft law on the labor code and adoption of a budget.

She said Ukraine's economic growth in 2025 ⁠was likely under 2%. After four years of war, the country's economy had settled into a slower growth path with larger fiscal and current account balances, she said, noting that the IMF continues to monitor the situation closely.

"Russia's invasion continues to take a ⁠heavy ⁠toll on Ukraine's people and its economy," Kozack said. Intensified aerial attacks by Russia had damaged critical energy and logistics infrastructure, causing disruptions to economic activity, Reuters quoted her as saying.

As of January, she said, 5 million Ukrainian refugees remained in Europe and 3.7 million Ukrainians were displaced inside the country.


US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
TT

US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Wall Street stocks retreated early Thursday as worries over US-Iran tensions lifted oil prices while markets digested mixed results from Walmart.

US oil futures rose to a six-month high as Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Islamic republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"We'd call this an undercurrent of concern that is bubbling up in oil prices," Briefing.com analyst Patrick O'Hare said of the "geopolitical angst."

About 10 minutes into trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.6 percent at 49,379.46, AFP reported.

The broad-based S&P 500 fell 0.5 percent to 6,849.35, while the tech-rich Nasdaq Composite Index declined 0.6 percent to 22,621.38.

Among individual companies, Walmart rose 1.7 percent after reporting solid results but offering forecasts that missed analyst expectations.

Shares of the retail giant initially fell, but pushed higher after Walmart executives talked up artificial intelligence investments on a conference call with analysts.

The US trade deficit in goods expanded to a new record in 2025, government data showed, despite sweeping tariffs that Trump imposed during his first year back in the White House.