Türkiye’s Simsek Seeks to Calm Investors, Says Market Strains Will Be Managed, Sources Say

People flash mobile phone lights during a protest against the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu as part of a corruption investigation, in Istanbul, Türkiye, March 25, 2025. (Reuters)
People flash mobile phone lights during a protest against the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu as part of a corruption investigation, in Istanbul, Türkiye, March 25, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Türkiye’s Simsek Seeks to Calm Investors, Says Market Strains Will Be Managed, Sources Say

People flash mobile phone lights during a protest against the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu as part of a corruption investigation, in Istanbul, Türkiye, March 25, 2025. (Reuters)
People flash mobile phone lights during a protest against the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu as part of a corruption investigation, in Istanbul, Türkiye, March 25, 2025. (Reuters)

Turkish Finance Minister Mehmet Simsek and Central Bank Governor Fatih Karahan told international investors on Tuesday that they would do whatever was needed to tame market turmoil triggered by the arrest of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's main political rival.

Police detained Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu, Erdogan's main political rival, last Wednesday, and a court jailed him on Sunday pending trial on corruption charges, sparking Türkiye's biggest protests in more than a decade and a major market sell-off.

Simsek told investors he would not comment on judicial matters and the events of the last two weeks, but said there would be no lasting impact on the economy and that he intended to stay in his post, according to two sources on the call.

He also said there would be no change in approach to the economic turnaround program he introduced in mid-2023 when the country was in the midst of its most recent currency crisis.

"They steered almost completely clear of the political crisis," one participant on the call said.

A statement from the finance ministry after the call confirmed that Simsek had reiterated his view that there would be no lasting damage to the economy and that further measures would be taken if needed.

Central bank governor Fatih Karahan told the call that he sees the market turmoil as a temporary blip, one participant said. He also repeated something Simsek had said earlier, that Türkiye will do "whatever it takes" to tame inflation, two sources said.

Journalists were not invited to the call, but participants said Simsek added that the Treasury could reduce bond issuance as part of its response, and that it also had the option of so-called FX-linked bonds, that give buyers some protection against big currency swings.

The minister also said he expected Türkiye to benefit from better bilateral relations with the United States. Later on Tuesday, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan is to meet Foreign Secretary Marco Rubio in Washington.

Veteran emerging market analyst Tim Ash at fund manager BlueBay said the call, which also detailed how "offshore" investors had accounted for 60% of FX demand during last week's selloff, had been a "coordinated effort to engage with the international investment community, and re-assure."

REBOUND

Markets were continuing to stabilize after the call drew to a close with the Istanbul stock market finishing the day up 4.5% and the lira steady at just under 38 to the dollar.

The Borsa Istanbul ended last week down 16.6%, its worst drop since the peak of the global financial crisis in October 2008. The lira had dropped more than 10% at the height of the rout on Wednesday.

Tuesday's moves also saw the banking sub-index win back another 5.3%. It slumped more than 26% last week and has now recovered around 7.5% of that.

The Treasury, central bank, the BDDK banking watchdog and capital markets board had already held a series of meetings with market actors over the weekend and announced several steps.

The measures had begun with the central bank raising the upper band of the interest rate corridor by 2 points to 46% in an interim meeting last week, pausing funding from the policy rate.

While the central bank took a tightening step of close to 400 basis points, it also sold around $14 billion in foreign exchange. Additionally, it has started liquidity note issuance and TL-settled forward foreign exchange sales transactions.

The Turkish central bank's net FX position dropped by some $27 billion due to FX sales last week since Wednesday, according to bankers' calculations from the bank's balance sheet.

Short selling on the Istanbul stock market has been banned for one month.

Türkiye's international sovereign bonds were also continuing to claw back some of last week's losses, with the 2045 maturity up almost 1 cent on the dollar at 84.6 cents on the dollar, Tradeweb data showed, after falling more than 3 cents last week.

Türkiye's five-year credit default swaps, which investors often use as a hedge against turmoil, eased again too, ending the day back under 300 basis points according to S&P Global Market Intelligence, having spiked to almost 330 from 260 last week.

Turkish lira implied FX volatility gauges and risk reversals eased slightly, although they remained highly elevated, having soared to their highest levels since the country's last currency crisis in mid-2023, data from Fenics showed.

Ahead of Tuesday's investor call, Himanshu Porwal, EM analyst at Seaport Global had said that the markets had already been reacting positively to the measures taken to settle the markets in recent days.

"I think they (central bank, finance minister) have been doing what is required. FX is usually the first trigger you look at and so far the move has been contained, so I think people are coming to terms with it already," Porwal said.



EU Says US Must Honor a Trade Deal after Court Blocks Trump Tariffs

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, in Washington, D.C., US, February 20, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, in Washington, D.C., US, February 20, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo
TT

EU Says US Must Honor a Trade Deal after Court Blocks Trump Tariffs

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, in Washington, D.C., US, February 20, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, in Washington, D.C., US, February 20, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo

The European Union's executive arm requested “full clarity” from the United States and asked its trade partner to fulfill its commitments after the US Supreme Court struck down some of President Donald Trump’s most sweeping tariffs.

Trump has lashed out at the court decision and said Saturday that he wants a global tariff of 15%, up from the 10% he announced a day earlier.

The European Commission said the current situation is not conducive to delivering "fair, balanced, and mutually beneficial” trans-Atlantic trade and investment, as agreed to by both sides and spelled out in the EU-US Joint Statement of August 2025.

American and EU officials sealed a trade deal last year that imposes a 15% import tax on 70% of European goods exported to the United States. The European Commission handles trade for the 27 EU member countries.

A top EU lawmaker said on Sunday he will propose to the European Parliament negotiating team to put the ratifying process of the deal on pause.

“Pure tariff chaos on the part of the US administration,” Bernd Lange, the chair of Parliament’s international trade committee, wrote on social media. “No one can make sense of it anymore — only open questions and growing uncertainty for the EU and other US trading partners.”

The value of EU-US trade in goods and services amounted to 1.7 trillion euros ($2 trillion) in 2024, or an average of 4.6 billion euros a day, according to EU statistics agency Eurostat.

“A deal is a deal,” the European Commission said. “As the United States’ largest trading partner, the EU expects the US to honor its commitments set out in the Joint Statement — just as the EU stands by its commitments. EU products must continue to benefit from the most competitive treatment, with no increases in tariffs beyond the clear and all-inclusive ceiling previously agreed."

Jamieson Greer, Trump’s top trade negotiator, said in a CBS News interview Sunday morning that the US plans to stand by its trade deals and expects its partners to do the same.

He said he talked to his European counterpart this weekend and hasn’t heard anyone tell him the deal is off.

“The deals were not premised on whether or not the emergency tariff litigation would rise or fall,” Greer said. “I haven’t heard anyone yet come to me and say the deal’s off. They want to see how this plays out.”

Europe’s biggest exports to the US are pharmaceuticals, cars, aircraft, chemicals, medical instruments, and wine and spirits. Among the biggest US exports to the bloc are professional and scientific services like payment systems and cloud infrastructure, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, aerospace products and cars.

“When applied unpredictably, tariffs are inherently disruptive, undermining confidence and stability across global markets and creating further uncertainty across international supply chains,” The Associated Press quoted the commission as saying.

As primarily a trading bloc, the EU has a powerful tool at its disposal to retaliate — the bloc’s Anti-Coercion Instrument. It includes a raft of measures for blocking or restricting trade and investment from countries found to be putting undue pressure on EU member nations or corporations.

The measures could include curtailing the export and import of goods and services, barring countries or companies from EU public tenders, or limiting foreign direct investment. In its most severe form, it would essentially close off access to the EU’s 450-million customer market and inflict billions of dollars of losses on US companies and the American economy.


GCC GDP Jumps to $2.3 Trillion

GCC countries continued to record GDP growth, supported by economic diversification programs and fiscal reforms (Oman News Agency).
GCC countries continued to record GDP growth, supported by economic diversification programs and fiscal reforms (Oman News Agency).
TT

GCC GDP Jumps to $2.3 Trillion

GCC countries continued to record GDP growth, supported by economic diversification programs and fiscal reforms (Oman News Agency).
GCC countries continued to record GDP growth, supported by economic diversification programs and fiscal reforms (Oman News Agency).

A statistical report published on Sunday showed that the economies of the Gulf Cooperation Council countries recorded growth in gross domestic product, supported by economic diversification programs and fiscal reforms. Combined GDP reached $2.3 trillion, ranking ninth globally, with a growth rate of 2.2 percent.

The report revealed that GCC countries achieved qualitative advances in 2024 across competitiveness, energy, trade, and digitization, driven by growth in non-oil sectors, improved quality of life, the development of digital infrastructure, and a stronger regional and international presence.

In the “GCC in Numbers” report issued by the Statistical Center for the Cooperation Council for the Arab Countries of the Gulf, it was emphasized that GCC states continue to record real GDP growth “thanks to economic diversification programs and fiscal reforms, with GDP reaching $2.3 trillion, ranking ninth globally, and posting growth of 2.2 percent.”

The report also showed improvement in global economic indicators, including competitiveness, resilience, and economic dynamism.

GCC countries ranked first globally in oil reserves at 511.9 billion barrels, third worldwide in natural gas production at 442 billion cubic metres, and second globally in natural gas reserves at 44.3 billion cubic metres.

GCC countries ranked 10th globally in total exports valued at $849.6 billion, 11th in imports at $739.0 billion, 10th in total trade at $1.5895 trillion, and sixth worldwide in trade balance surplus at $109.7 billion.


Algeria Tenders to Buy Nominal 50,000 Metric Tons Soft Milling Wheat

Mature spring wheat awaits harvest on a farm near Beausejour, Manitoba, Canada August 20, 2020. REUTERS/Shannon VanRaes/File Photo
Mature spring wheat awaits harvest on a farm near Beausejour, Manitoba, Canada August 20, 2020. REUTERS/Shannon VanRaes/File Photo
TT

Algeria Tenders to Buy Nominal 50,000 Metric Tons Soft Milling Wheat

Mature spring wheat awaits harvest on a farm near Beausejour, Manitoba, Canada August 20, 2020. REUTERS/Shannon VanRaes/File Photo
Mature spring wheat awaits harvest on a farm near Beausejour, Manitoba, Canada August 20, 2020. REUTERS/Shannon VanRaes/File Photo

Algeria's state grains agency OAIC has issued an international tender to buy soft milling wheat to be sourced from optional origins, European traders said on Sunday.

The tender sought a nominal 50,000 metric tons but Algeria often buys considerably more in its tenders than the nominal volume sought, Reuters reported.

The deadline for submission of price offers in the tender is Tuesday, February 24, with offers having to remain valid until Wednesday, February 25. The wheat is sought for shipment in three periods from the main supply regions including Europe: April 16-30, May 1-15 and May 16-31. If sourced from South America or Australia, shipment is one month earlier.

Algeria is a vital customer for wheat from the European Union, especially France, but Russian and other Black Sea region exporters have been expanding strongly in the Algerian market.