Trump Hits Back with Tariffs of 125%, after China Raises Its Tariff on US Goods to 84%

A general view shows the Huangpu River and the financial district in Shanghai on April 9, 2025. (AFP)
A general view shows the Huangpu River and the financial district in Shanghai on April 9, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Trump Hits Back with Tariffs of 125%, after China Raises Its Tariff on US Goods to 84%

A general view shows the Huangpu River and the financial district in Shanghai on April 9, 2025. (AFP)
A general view shows the Huangpu River and the financial district in Shanghai on April 9, 2025. (AFP)

President Donald Trump on Wednesday raised tariffs on China to 125%, hours after China boosted taxes on American imports to 84% and vowed to "fight to the end" in an escalating battle that threatens to disrupt trade between the world's two largest economies.

The new rate levied by Beijing, which has taken effect, comes in response to Trump's earlier move to raise the tariff on Chinese products to 104% as part of increases that hit US trading partners worldwide. Europe and Canada also hit back Wednesday with new tariffs on imports from America.

Citing lack of respect, Trump responded by raising tariffs on China to 125%, while pausing tariffs on most countries for 90 days.

The hikes are the latest in an ongoing trade war that threatens to raise prices for consumers in America and derail China's attempts to reinvigorate its sluggish economy. The response from the Chinese government signals its determination not to bend to Trump's pressure, despite the risks.

"If the US insists on further escalating its economic and trade restrictions, China has the firm will and abundant means to take necessary countermeasures and fight to the end," the Ministry of Commerce said before announcing its latest tariff hike.

Beijing also imposed restrictions on doing business with nearly a dozen American companies and said it was launching a new challenge to the American tariffs at the World Trade Organization.

China is a major exporter to US but no longer No. 1  

The United States sent a record $199 billion in exports to China last year, while China exported $463 billion in goods and services to the United States, third behind Mexico and Canada, according to the US Commerce Department.

China was the top source of US imports as recently as 2022 but it has lost ground to America’s neighbors amid heightened tensions with the United States.

The European Chamber of Commerce in China accused the US of rolling back many of the principles that have underpinned its approach to trade and investment. It said that Trump's tariffs would have a significant impact on European companies exporting from China to the US, forcing them to rethink their business models and supply chains.

"This will lead to a substantial increase in operational costs and inefficiencies, and ultimately higher prices for consumers," it said.

No ‘easy path’ to restarting US-China trade talks

Though the US and China may want to find a way back to the negotiating table, "this won’t be an easy path to navigate with both countries doubling down and bilateral engagement at a virtual standstill," said former US trade official Wendy Cutler, a vice president at the Asia Society Policy Institute.

China does not appear interested in bargaining, as some other countries have started doing.

"If the US truly wants to resolve issues through dialogue and negotiation, it should adopt an attitude of equality, respect and mutual benefit," Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said.

The Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism issued a travel advisory asking its citizens to evaluate the risks of visiting the US as tourists and to exercise caution. The advisory, which came shortly after the announcement of the tariff hike, cited the deterioration in economic and trade relations as well as the "safety situation" in America.

China's response has gone from measured to tough 

Trump has now raised the tariff on Chinese goods five times since taking office in January. The first two hikes of 10% each were met with what analysts described as a measured response from China that left the door open for talks.

But after Trump announced an additional 34% tariff on Chinese goods last week, along with tariffs on other countries in his "Liberation Day," China matched that with a 34% tariff on imports from the US.

Trump then added a 50% tariff on goods from China, saying negotiations were terminated, and bringing the cumulative US tariff to 104%. China responded by raising the tariff on American products by the same amount, bringing its total rate to 84%.

China's latest measures include adding 11 American companies to an "unreliable entities" list that bars Chinese companies from selling them goods that could have military uses. Among the companies are American Photonics, and SYNEXXUS, which both work with the American military.

A Chinese position paper issued Wednesday said that the US has not honored the promises it made in an earlier "Phase One" trade deal concluded during Trump’s first term. As an example, it said a US law that would ban TikTok unless it is sold by its Chinese parent company violates a promise that neither would "pressure the other party to transfer technology to its own individuals."

Trump signed an order to keep TikTok running for another 75 days last week after a potential deal to sell the app to American owners was put on ice. Representatives from ByteDance, the parent company, told the White House that the Chinese government would no longer approve a deal until there could be talks on trade.

"History and facts have proven that the United States’ increase in tariffs will not solve its own problems," the Commerce Ministry said in a statement introducing the paper. "Instead, it will trigger sharp fluctuations in financial markets, push up US inflation pressure, weaken the US industrial base and increase the risk of a US economic recession, which will ultimately only backfire on itself."



Oil Prices Extend Gains on Concerns of Potential US-Iran Conflict

FILE PHOTO: The Phillips 66 Lake Charles Refinery is pictured in West Lake, Louisiana, US, June 12, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Bachman/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The Phillips 66 Lake Charles Refinery is pictured in West Lake, Louisiana, US, June 12, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Bachman/File Photo
TT

Oil Prices Extend Gains on Concerns of Potential US-Iran Conflict

FILE PHOTO: The Phillips 66 Lake Charles Refinery is pictured in West Lake, Louisiana, US, June 12, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Bachman/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The Phillips 66 Lake Charles Refinery is pictured in West Lake, Louisiana, US, June 12, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Bachman/File Photo

Oil prices rose on Thursday as the US and Iran attempted to ease a standoff in talks over Tehran's nuclear program while both sides heightened military activity in the key oil-producing region.

Brent futures climbed 23 cents, or 0.3% to $70.58 a barrel by 0735 GMT, while US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude gained 25 cents, or 0.4%, to trade at $65.44 a barrel.

Both benchmarks settled more than 4% higher on Wednesday, posting their highest settlements since January 30, as traders priced in the risk of supply disruptions in the event of ‌a conflict.

"Oil prices are ‌rallying as the market becomes increasingly concerned over the potential ‌for ⁠imminent US action ⁠against Iran," said ING analysts in a Thursday note.

Iranian state media reported the country had shut down the Strait of Hormuz for a few hours on Tuesday, without making clear whether the waterway had fully reopened. About 20% ⁠of the world's oil supply passes through the waterway.

"Tensions between Washington ‌and Tehran remain high, but the prevailing view ‌is that full-scale armed conflict is unlikely, prompting a wait-and-see approach," said Hiroyuki Kikukawa, chief strategist of ‌Nissan Securities Investment, a unit of Nissan Securities.

"US President Donald Trump does not ‌want a sharp rise in crude prices, and even if military action occurs, it would likely be limited to short-term air strikes," Kikukawa added.

A degree of progress was made during Iran talks in Geneva this week but distance remained on some issues, the White House said on Wednesday, ‌adding that it expected Tehran to come back with more details in a couple of weeks.

Iran issued a notice to ⁠airmen (NOTAM) that ⁠it plans rocket launches in areas across its south on Thursday from 0330 GMT to 1330 GMT, according to the US Federal Aviation Administration website.

At the same time, the US has deployed warships near Iran, with US Vice President JD Vance saying Washington was weighing whether to continue diplomatic engagement with Tehran or pursue "another option".

Meanwhile, two days of peace talks in Geneva between Ukraine and Russia ended on Wednesday without a breakthrough, with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy accusing Moscow of stalling US-mediated efforts to end the four-year-old war.

US crude and gasoline and distillate inventories fell last week, market sources said, citing American Petroleum Institute figures on Wednesday, contrary to expectations in a Reuters poll that crude stocks would rise by 2.1 million barrels in the week to February 13.

Official US oil inventory reports from the Energy Information Administration are due on Thursday.


Madinah Sees Tourism Surge Ahead of Ramadan, Spending Tops $13.9 Billion

A cluster of buildings and hotels surrounding the Prophet’s Mosque (SPA). 
A cluster of buildings and hotels surrounding the Prophet’s Mosque (SPA). 
TT

Madinah Sees Tourism Surge Ahead of Ramadan, Spending Tops $13.9 Billion

A cluster of buildings and hotels surrounding the Prophet’s Mosque (SPA). 
A cluster of buildings and hotels surrounding the Prophet’s Mosque (SPA). 

Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Tourism, Ahmed Al-Khateeb, has toured hospitality facilities and visitor services in Madinah as part of the “Spirit of Ramadan” inspection tour, which also included Jeddah and Makkah.

New data show visitor numbers exceeded 21 million over the past year, a 12 percent increase from 2024, while total tourism spending reached SAR 52 billion (about $13.9 billion), up 22 percent.

The visit focused on assessing the sector’s readiness for the Ramadan season, evaluating service quality, and supporting ongoing and upcoming tourism projects.

Madinah posted strong tourism performance in 2025, driven by higher visitor inflows and expanded hospitality capacity, reinforcing its position as a leading religious destination within Saudi Arabia’s tourism landscape.

Demand growth has been matched by a sharp rise in supply. Licensed hospitality facilities increased to 610, up 35 percent, while the number of licensed rooms surpassed 76,000, a 24 percent gain, strengthening the city’s ability to accommodate during peak seasons such as Ramadan and Hajj.

Travel and tourism offices also grew to more than 240, reflecting a 29 percent expansion in supporting services.

Al-Khateeb said the entry of international hospitality brands and new projects over the past five years underscores both sectoral growth and rising investor confidence in the Kingdom’s tourism ecosystem.

“The landscape today is different. The sector is growing steadily, supported by a system that empowers investors and facilitates their journey, with a promising future ahead,” he said.

To expand hotel capacity, the minister inaugurated the Radisson Hotel Madinah, a project worth more than SAR 39 million (around $10 million) and financed by the Tourism Development Fund.

The 2025 performance signals a shift from traditional seasonal growth toward more sustainable expansion built on diversified offerings, improved service quality, and a stronger contribution to the local economy.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Airbus Planning Record Commercial Aircraft Deliveries in 2026

An Airbus A350-1000 at the Singapore Airshow on February 4. The company said Thursday it aims to deliver a record number of aircraft this year. Roslan RAHMAN / AFP/File
An Airbus A350-1000 at the Singapore Airshow on February 4. The company said Thursday it aims to deliver a record number of aircraft this year. Roslan RAHMAN / AFP/File
TT

Airbus Planning Record Commercial Aircraft Deliveries in 2026

An Airbus A350-1000 at the Singapore Airshow on February 4. The company said Thursday it aims to deliver a record number of aircraft this year. Roslan RAHMAN / AFP/File
An Airbus A350-1000 at the Singapore Airshow on February 4. The company said Thursday it aims to deliver a record number of aircraft this year. Roslan RAHMAN / AFP/File

Plane maker Airbus aims to deliver a record number of commercial aircraft this year, the company said Thursday, capitalizing on "strong demand" and a jump in profit in 2025.

"2025 was a landmark year, characterized by very strong demand for our products and services across all businesses," CEO Guillaume Faury said in a press release announcing annual results.

The European manufacturer said it received 1,000 orders for commercial planes in 2025, with net orders of 889 after taking cancellations into account, and 793 delivered.

Last year, its overall profit jumped 23 percent to 5.2 billion euros ($6.1 billion).

The company said it is targeting "around 870 commercial aircraft deliveries" this year.

"As the basis for its 2026 guidance, the Company assumes no additional disruptions to global trade or the world economy, air traffic, the supply chain, its internal operations, and its ability to deliver products and services," it said in its outlook.

Both Airbus and its rival Boeing have struggled to return to pre-pandemic production levels after their entire network of suppliers was disrupted, even as airlines are eager to modernize their fleets with more fuel-efficient aircraft and expand to meet an expected increase in passenger numbers over the coming decades.