US Seeks to Assert Control over Venezuelan Oil with Tanker Seizures and Sales Worldwide

This image from video provided by the US Department of Defense, shows the US Coast Guard cutter Munro shadowing the MV Bella 1 in the North Atlantic Ocean during the maritime interdiction operation Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2026. (Department of Defense via AP)
This image from video provided by the US Department of Defense, shows the US Coast Guard cutter Munro shadowing the MV Bella 1 in the North Atlantic Ocean during the maritime interdiction operation Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2026. (Department of Defense via AP)
TT

US Seeks to Assert Control over Venezuelan Oil with Tanker Seizures and Sales Worldwide

This image from video provided by the US Department of Defense, shows the US Coast Guard cutter Munro shadowing the MV Bella 1 in the North Atlantic Ocean during the maritime interdiction operation Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2026. (Department of Defense via AP)
This image from video provided by the US Department of Defense, shows the US Coast Guard cutter Munro shadowing the MV Bella 1 in the North Atlantic Ocean during the maritime interdiction operation Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2026. (Department of Defense via AP)

President Donald Trump's administration on Wednesday sought to assert its control over Venezuelan oil, seizing a pair of sanctioned tankers transporting petroleum and announcing plans to relax some sanctions so the US can oversee the sale of Venezuela’s petroleum worldwide.

Trump's administration intends to control the distribution of Venezuela’s oil products globally following its ouster of President Nicolás Maduro in a surprise nighttime raid. Besides the United States enforcing an existing oil embargo, the Energy Department says the “only oil transported in and out of Venezuela” will be through approved channels consistent with US law and national security interests.

That level of control over the world’s largest proven reserves of crude oil could give the Trump administration a broader hold on oil supplies globally in ways that could enable it to influence prices. Both moves reflect the Republican administration’s determination to make good on its effort to control the next steps in Venezuela through its vast oil resources after Trump pledged the US will “run” the country.

Vice President JD Vance said in an interview the US can “control” Venezuela’s “purse strings” by dictating where its oil can be sold.

“We control the energy resources, and we tell the regime, you’re allowed to sell the oil so long as you serve America’s national interest,” Vance said in an interview to air on Fox News Channel’s “Jesse Watters Primetime.”

The vice president added, “And that’s how we exert incredible pressure on that country without wasting a single American life."

Secretary of State Marco Rubio suggested that the oil taken from the sanctioned vessels seized in the North Atlantic and the Caribbean Sea would be sold as part of the deal announced by Trump on Tuesday under which Venezuela would provide up to 50 million barrels of oil to the US.

Venezuela’s interim authorities “want that oil that was seized to be part of this deal,” Rubio told reporters after briefing lawmakers Wednesday about the Maduro operation. “They understand that the only way they can move oil and generate revenue and not have economic collapse is if they cooperate and work with the United States.”

Seizing 2 more vessels US European Command said on social media that the merchant vessel Bella 1 was seized in the North Atlantic for “violations of US sanctions."

The US had been pursuing the tanker since last month after it tried to evade a blockade on sanctioned oil vessels around Venezuela.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem revealed US forces also took control of the M Sophia in the Caribbean Sea. Noem said on social media that both ships were “either last docked in Venezuela or en route to it."

The two ships join at least two others that were taken by US forces last month — the Skipper and the Centuries.

The Bella 1 had been cruising across the Atlantic nearing the Caribbean on Dec. 15 when it abruptly turned and headed north, toward Europe. The change in direction came days after the first US tanker seizure of a ship on Dec. 10 after it had left Venezuela carrying oil.

When the US Coast Guard tried to board the Bella 1, it fled. US European Command said a Coast Guard vessel had tracked the ship “pursuant to a warrant issued by a US federal court."

As the US pursued it, the Bella 1 was renamed Marinera and flagged to Russia, shipping databases show. A US official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military operations, said the ship’s crew had painted a Russian flag on the side of the hull.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said it had information about Russian nationals among the Marinera's crew and, in a statement carried by Russia’s state news agencies Tass and RIA Novosti, demanded that "the American side ensure humane and dignified treatment of them, strictly respect their rights and interests, and not hinder their speedy return to their homeland.”

Separately, a senior Russian lawmaker, Andrei Klishas, decried the US action as “blatant piracy.”

The Justice Department is investigating crew members of the Bella 1 vessel for failing to obey Coast Guard orders and “criminal charges will be pursued against all culpable actors,” Attorney General Pam Bondi said.

“The Department of Justice is monitoring several other vessels for similar enforcement action — anyone on any vessel who fails to obey instructions of the Coast Guard or other federal officials will be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” Bondi said on X.

The ship had been sanctioned by the US in 2024 on allegations of smuggling cargo for a company linked to Lebanese militant group Hezbollah, which is backed by Iran.

Easing some sanctions to sell Venezuela's oil The Trump administration, meanwhile, is “selectively” removing sanctions to enable the shipping and sale of Venezuelan oil to markets worldwide, according to an outline of the policies published Wednesday by the Energy Department.

The sales are slated to begin immediately with 30 million to 50 million barrels of oil. The US government said the sales “will continue indefinitely,” with the proceeds settling in US-controlled accounts at “globally recognized banks.” The money would be disbursed to the US and Venezuelan populations at the “discretion” of Trump’s government.

Venezuelan state-owned oil company PDVSA said it is in negotiations with the US government for the sale of crude oil.

“This process is developed under schemes similar to those in force with international companies, such as Chevron, and is based on a strictly commercial transaction, with criteria of legality, transparency and benefit for both parties,” the company said in the statement.

Acting President Delcy Rodríguez on Wednesday night tried to normalize the latest chapter in US-Venezuela economic relations, calling them “neither extraordinary nor irregular.”

“Venezuela must diversify its relations and have relations with all the countries of this hemisphere, just as it should with Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Europe,” she said during a televised meeting with lawmakers and senior government officials.

The US plans to authorize the importation of oil field equipment, parts and services to increase Venezuela’s oil production, which has been roughly 1 million barrels a day.

The Trump administration has indicated it also will invest in the electricity grid to increase production and the quality of life for people in Venezuela, whose economy has been unraveling amid changes to foreign aid and cuts to state subsidies, making necessities, including food, unaffordable to millions.

Meanwhile, Trump abruptly changed his tone about Colombian President Gustavo Petro. Trump said Wednesday that they had exchanged a friendly phone call and he had invited the leader of the South American country to the White House. Trump had said earlier this week that “Colombia is very sick too” and accused Petro of “making cocaine and selling it to the United States.”

Ships said to be part of a shadow fleet Noem said both seized ships were part of a shadow fleet of rusting oil tankers that smuggle oil for countries facing sanctions, such as Venezuela, Russia and Iran.

After the seizure of the now-named Marinera, which open-source maritime tracking sites showed was between Scotland and Iceland earlier Wednesday, the UK defense ministry said Britain’s military provided support, including surveillance aircraft.

“This ship, with a nefarious history, is part of a Russian-Iranian axis of sanctions evasion which is fueling terrorism, conflict, and misery from the Middle East to Ukraine,” UK Defense Secretary John Healey said.

The capture of the M Sophia, on the US sanctions list for moving illicit cargos of oil from Russia, in the Caribbean was much less prolonged.

The ship had been “running dark,” not having transmitted location data since July. Tankers involved in smuggling often turn off their transponders or broadcast inaccurate data to hide their locations.

Samir Madani, co-founder of TankerTrackers.com, said his organization used satellite imagery and surface-level photos to document that at least 16 tankers had left the Venezuelan coast since Saturday, after the US captured Maduro.

The M Sophia was among them, Madani said, citing a recent photo showing it in the waters near Jose Terminal, Venezuela’s main oil export hub.

Windward, a maritime intelligence firm that tracks such vessels, said in a briefing to reporters the M Sophia loaded at the terminal on Dec. 26 and was carrying about 1.8 million barrels of crude oil — a cargo that would be worth about $108 million at current price of about $60 a barrel.



Saudi Airports Handle 141 Million Passengers in 2025 as Aircraft Fleet Expands

Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)
Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)
TT

Saudi Airports Handle 141 Million Passengers in 2025 as Aircraft Fleet Expands

Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)
Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)

Saudi Arabia’s airports handled 140.9 million passengers in 2025, marking another year of strong growth for the Kingdom’s aviation sector as the national aircraft fleet expanded by 33.8%, according to data released by the General Authority for Statistics.

The number of passengers traveling through Saudi airports rose 9.6% from 2024, reflecting the Kingdom’s accelerating push to strengthen its position as a regional travel hub and global aviation gateway.

International traffic accounted for 75.8 million passengers, up 9.4% year-on-year, while domestic passenger traffic increased 9.8% to 65.1 million. On average, Saudi airports handled around 207,700 international passengers and 178,600 domestic passengers a day.

King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah remained the Kingdom’s busiest airport, handling 53.5 million passengers during the year, an increase of 9.0% from 2024. King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh followed with 40.8 million passengers, up 8.7%, while King Fahd International Airport in Dammam handled 13.7 million passengers, posting annual growth of 7.0%.

The increase in passenger traffic was accompanied by a rise in flight activity across the Kingdom’s airports. Total arriving and departing flights climbed 8.3% year-on-year to 979,800 flights in 2025, including 506,300 domestic flights, up 6.8%, and 473,500 international flights, up 9.9%.

King Abdulaziz International Airport also recorded the highest number of aircraft movements with 314,400 flights, followed by King Khalid International Airport with 296,800 flights and King Fahd International Airport with 108,500 flights.

Saudi Arabia’s aviation fleet recorded one of the strongest areas of growth during the year, with the total number of commercial and general aviation aircraft rising to 483 from the previous year’s level. The fleet included 266 commercial aircraft and 217 aircraft dedicated to general aviation.

Aircraft with capacities ranging from 151 to 250 seats accounted for the largest share of the commercial fleet at 120 aircraft, while the sector continued to modernize its operations, with 99 aircraft less than five years old.

The Kingdom also expanded its global air connectivity during 2025, with Saudi airports linked to 66 countries worldwide, up 1.5% from a year earlier. The total number of domestic and international destinations connected to the Kingdom rose 2.3% to 176 destinations.

Saudi Arabia ranked 18th globally in the 2025 Air Connectivity Index, underscoring the sector’s growing international reach.

Saudia accounted for the largest share of flights operating in Saudi airspace at 25.5%, followed by low-cost carrier flynas at 13.3% and flyadeal at 8.6%.

Air cargo volumes handled through Saudi airports totaled 1.18 million metric tons in 2025, with imports accounting for the largest share at 695,600 tons. Transit cargo reached nearly 420,100 tons, while exports exceeded 69,700 tons.

March recorded the highest monthly cargo throughput of the year, with more than 113,400 tons handled during the month.

The Kingdom also continued to expand logistics infrastructure at its main airports to support cargo growth and broader supply chain ambitions. King Fahd International Airport operated nine cargo facilities, while King Khalid International Airport had eight facilities and King Abdulaziz International Airport operated four integrated cargo facilities.

The expansion forms part of Saudi Arabia’s strategy to position itself as a global logistics hub linking Asia, Africa and Europe.


Supertanker with Iraqi Oil Heads for Vietnam After Hold-up in US Blockade

Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)
Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Supertanker with Iraqi Oil Heads for Vietnam After Hold-up in US Blockade

Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)
Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)

Supertanker Agios Fanourios I is heading for Vietnam to discharge its Iraqi crude oil cargo after it was held by the US Navy for five days in the Gulf of Oman, the vessel's manager said on Monday.

The Maltese-flagged Very Large Crude Carrier sailed out of the Strait of Hormuz on May 10 and was sailing in the Gulf of Oman before making a ‌U-turn on ‌May 11.

It resumed its journey ‌toward ⁠Vietnam on May 16 ⁠and is expected to arrive at the Nghi Son refinery on May 30, LSEG shipping data showed.

A VLCC can carry a maximum of two million barrels of oil.

A source at the vessel's Athens-based manager Eastern Mediterranean Maritime, who spoke on condition of ⁠anonymity, confirmed that the tanker was sailing ‌on to Vietnam after ‌it had received US Navy approval.

The US military's Central Command ‌said last week that the vessel was redirected as ‌part of ongoing enforcement of the blockade against Iran.

At least two other crude tankers sailed from the strait last week, but overall crude traffic through the strait has ‌remained limited.

Before the war on Iran began, the Strait of Hormuz was the conduit ⁠for 20% ⁠of the world's energy supplies, equating to 125 to 140 daily passages.

"Shipping confidence around Hormuz is still very weak," ship broker Clarksons said in a note on Monday.

A further 12 ships crossed the strait in the past 24 hours, including two liquefied petroleum gas tankers bound for India, according to satellite analysis from data analytics specialists SynMax.

A separate LPG tanker was sailing through the strait on Monday also bound for India, data on the MarineTraffic platform showed.


Asian Markets Cautious, Oil Dips after Trump Holds Off on Iran Attack

Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP
Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP
TT

Asian Markets Cautious, Oil Dips after Trump Holds Off on Iran Attack

Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP
Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP

Asian markets were mixed Tuesday as oil prices eased on hopes of a US-Iran deal, though elevated crude levels capped investor appetite for risk.

Energy markets held center stage after US President Donald Trump signaled "serious negotiations" with Tehran and called off planned strikes, boosting optimism that tensions could.

The war the United States and Israel launched February 28 has led to an effective blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, through which around 20 percent of global oil exports passed in peacetime.

The leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates asked him "to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place", Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.

But Trump added that he instructed the US military to be "prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached".

Speaking later at a White House event, Trump said there had been a "very positive development" and that Arab allies said a deal was near that would leave Iran without nuclear weapons, which Tehran denies pursuing.

"There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I'd be very happy," Trump said.

However, he also warned the United States was prepared to launch a "full, large-scale assault" if negotiations collapse, underscoring the fragility of the situation.

Oil dipped on the prospect of diplomacy, but the move offered only limited relief after weeks of volatility driven by the Middle East conflict.

International benchmark Brent was hovering around $109 while West Texas Intermediate at $107.

Equity performance wavered.

Tokyo's Nikkei 225 opened lower, with local jitters offset by local resilience. Japan's gross domestic product expanded 0.5 percent in the first quarter, exceeding market forecasts of 0.4 percent.

Seoul's Kospi slid by more than four percent, with tech stocks losing ground after taking their lead from Wall Street. Shanghai, Taipei and Jakarta also slid.

Hong Kong, Sydney and Wellington were ahead.

Safe-haven demand was higher, with both gold and silver edging up, suggesting investors remain wary.

All eyes are on Wednesday's quarterly results from US chip titan Nvidia, which will be scrutinized as investors question whether huge spending on AI data centers is justified by potential returns.