Oil Drops as Trump Calms Iran Fears; Tech Stocks Slide in Asia

The Iranian flag and 3D printed oil barrels miniature are seen in this illustration taken June 23, 2025. (Reuters)
The Iranian flag and 3D printed oil barrels miniature are seen in this illustration taken June 23, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Oil Drops as Trump Calms Iran Fears; Tech Stocks Slide in Asia

The Iranian flag and 3D printed oil barrels miniature are seen in this illustration taken June 23, 2025. (Reuters)
The Iranian flag and 3D printed oil barrels miniature are seen in this illustration taken June 23, 2025. (Reuters)

Oil prices retreated from multi-month highs on Thursday and gold eased from a record peak after US President Donald Trump calmed market anxiety over potential US military action against Iran.

A selloff in tech stocks extended into Asian trading, following declines on Wall Street, as investors rotated out of high-flying chip and artificial intelligence-related names while searching for bargains in other parts of the market.

Currencies paused for breath after the yen dropped to its weakest point since July 2024 against the US dollar overnight and then bounced back sharply amid warnings of possible intervention by Japanese authorities, Reuters said.

Japanese bond yields eased back from record peaks following a spike driven by speculation - which was later confirmed - ‌that the government will ‌call snap elections, a scenario that is expected to lead to ‌bigger ⁠fiscal stimulus.

Brent crude ‌futures dropped 3.4% to $64.25 and Nymex futures sank 3.4% to $59.89, after vaulting as high as $66.82 and $62.36, respectively, in the previous session.

Trump said on Wednesday afternoon that he had been told that killings in Iran's crackdown on nationwide protests were subsiding and he believed there was currently no plan for large-scale executions.

Gold fell 0.5% to around $4,598 per ounce. On Wednesday, it reached an unprecedented $4,642.72.

Stocks in Asia were mixed, but tech shares were met with more selling.

In Japan, the tech-heavy Nikkei eased 0.9% after hitting an all-time peak in ⁠the previous session, though the broader Topix extended its own record high on Thursday with a 0.8% advance.

Taiwan's TAIEX sank 0.4% and Hong ‌Kong's Hang Seng slipped 0.5%, with tech shares weighing.

Chinese blue ‍chips edged 0.1% lower, while South Korea's KOSPI ‍added as much as 1.3% to a fresh record high. The Bank of Korea left interest ‍rates unchanged on Thursday, as expected by economists, and signaled an end to its current easing cycle to prioritize financial stability.

FTSE futures pointed 0.6% higher, suggesting the cash index would open with an extension of its record high from Wednesday. Pan-European STOXX 50 futures tacked on 0.3%.

S&P 500 E-mini futures were flat after the cash index sank 0.5% overnight. The tech-focused Nasdaq Composite dropped 1%.

"There’s a rotation playing out on Wall Street that’s ultimately weighing on indices but indicates that the internals of the market ⁠are holding up reasonably well," said Kyle Rodda, an analyst at Capital.com.

"The strength in cyclicals, in no small part due to the positive outlook for the US economy, is propping up stocks and providing constructive signals to market participants of broadening market strength."

The US dollar was steady against its major peers on Thursday, with the dollar index up very slightly at 99.137.

It was unchanged at 158.44 yen after surging as high as 159.45 yen on Wednesday before pulling back sharply.

Japanese Finance Minister Satsuki Katayama issued another verbal warning on Wednesday, saying officials would take "appropriate action against excessive FX moves without excluding any options."

Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi plans to dissolve parliament's lower house next week and call a snap parliamentary election as early as February 8.

Expectations of bigger fiscal stimulus on an improved mandate have spurred investors to sell the yen ‌and government bonds, sending longer-dated yields to record highs in recent days.

Japan's 20-year yield shed 2.5 basis points on Thursday to 3.135% after vaulting to an unprecedented 3.165% in the prior session.



Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia has introduced greater flexibility into its investment environment, allowing government entities, under strict controls to safeguard spending efficiency and ensure the delivery of critical projects, to seek exceptions to contract with international companies that do not have regional headquarters in the kingdom.

The Local Content and Government Procurement Authority notified all government bodies of the mechanism to apply for exemptions through the Etimad digital platform.

The step is designed to balance enforcement of the “regional headquarters relocation” decision, in force since early 2024, with the needs of technically specialized projects or those driven by intense price competition.

Under a government decision that took effect at the start of 2024, state entities, including authorities, institutions and government-affiliated funds, are barred from contracting with any foreign commercial company whose regional headquarters in the region is located outside Saudi Arabia.

According to the information, the Local Content and Government Procurement Authority informed all entities of the rules governing contracts with companies that lack a regional headquarters in the kingdom and related parties.

Government entities may request an exemption from the committee for specific projects, multiple projects or a defined time period, provided the application is submitted before launching a tender or initiating direct contracting procedures.

Submission mechanism

In two circulars, the authority detailed how to submit exemption requests and clarified the cases in which contracting is permitted under the controls. It said the exemption service was launched on the Etimad platform in November 2025.

The service is available to entities that float tenders through Etimad. Requests for tenders launched before the service went live, as well as those issued outside the platform, will continue to follow the previously adopted process.

Etimad is the kingdom’s official financial services portal run by the Ministry of Finance, aimed at driving digital transformation of government procedures and boosting transparency and efficiency in managing budgets, contracts, payments, tenders and procurement. The platform streamlines transactions between state entities and the private sector.

Technical criteria

When issuing the contracting controls, the government made clear that companies without a regional headquarters in Saudi Arabia, or related parties, are not barred from bidding for public tenders.

However, their offers can only be accepted in two cases: if there is no more than one technically compliant bid, or if the offer ranks among the best technically and is at least 25% lower in price than the second-best bid after overall evaluation.

Contracts with an estimated value of no more than 1 million riyals ($266,000) are also exempt. The minister may, in the public interest, amend the threshold, cancel the exemption or suspend it temporarily.

More than 700 headquarters

More than 700 multinational companies had relocated their regional headquarters to Riyadh by early 2026, exceeding the initial target of attracting 500 companies by 2030. The program seeks to cement the kingdom’s position as a regional business hub and to localize global expertise.

When announcing the contracting ban, Saudi Arabia said the move was intended to incentivize foreign firms dealing with the government and its affiliated entities to adjust their operations.

It aims to create jobs, curb economic leakage, raise spending efficiency and ensure that key goods and services procured by government entities are delivered inside the kingdom with appropriate local content.

The government said the policy aligns with the objectives of the Riyadh 2030 strategy unveiled during the recent Future Investment Initiative forum, where 24 multinational companies announced plans to move their regional headquarters to the Saudi capital.

It stressed that the decision does not affect any investor’s ability to enter the Saudi economy or continue working with the private sector.

 


IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
TT

IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko

The International Monetary Fund on Thursday said its board ​would review a staff-level agreement for a new $8.1 billion lending program for Ukraine in coming days.

IMF spokeswoman Jule Kozack told reporters that Ukrainian authorities had completed the prior actions needed to move forward with the request ⁠of a new ⁠IMF program, including submission of a draft law on the labor code and adoption of a budget.

She said Ukraine's economic growth in 2025 ⁠was likely under 2%. After four years of war, the country's economy had settled into a slower growth path with larger fiscal and current account balances, she said, noting that the IMF continues to monitor the situation closely.

"Russia's invasion continues to take a ⁠heavy ⁠toll on Ukraine's people and its economy," Kozack said. Intensified aerial attacks by Russia had damaged critical energy and logistics infrastructure, causing disruptions to economic activity, Reuters quoted her as saying.

As of January, she said, 5 million Ukrainian refugees remained in Europe and 3.7 million Ukrainians were displaced inside the country.


US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
TT

US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Wall Street stocks retreated early Thursday as worries over US-Iran tensions lifted oil prices while markets digested mixed results from Walmart.

US oil futures rose to a six-month high as Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Islamic republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"We'd call this an undercurrent of concern that is bubbling up in oil prices," Briefing.com analyst Patrick O'Hare said of the "geopolitical angst."

About 10 minutes into trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.6 percent at 49,379.46, AFP reported.

The broad-based S&P 500 fell 0.5 percent to 6,849.35, while the tech-rich Nasdaq Composite Index declined 0.6 percent to 22,621.38.

Among individual companies, Walmart rose 1.7 percent after reporting solid results but offering forecasts that missed analyst expectations.

Shares of the retail giant initially fell, but pushed higher after Walmart executives talked up artificial intelligence investments on a conference call with analysts.

The US trade deficit in goods expanded to a new record in 2025, government data showed, despite sweeping tariffs that Trump imposed during his first year back in the White House.