IMF: Middle East War Means 'All Roads' Lead to Higher Prices, Slower Growth

FILE PHOTO: International Monetary Fund (IMF) logo is seen outside the headquarters building in Washington, US, September 4, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: International Monetary Fund (IMF) logo is seen outside the headquarters building in Washington, US, September 4, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas/File Photo
TT

IMF: Middle East War Means 'All Roads' Lead to Higher Prices, Slower Growth

FILE PHOTO: International Monetary Fund (IMF) logo is seen outside the headquarters building in Washington, US, September 4, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: International Monetary Fund (IMF) logo is seen outside the headquarters building in Washington, US, September 4, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas/File Photo

The war in the Middle East will lead to higher inflation and slower global growth, the head of the International Monetary Fund told Reuters on Monday, ahead of a forecast for the world economy planned by the global lender for next week.

The war has triggered the worst-ever disruption in global energy supply, with millions of barrels of oil production shuttered due to Iran's effective blockage of the Strait of Hormuz, crucial for shipping one-fifth of the world's oil and gas.

Even if the conflict is swiftly resolved, the IMF is set to reduce its forecast for economic growth and bump up its outlook for inflation, Kristalina Georgieva, managing director of the IMF, said.

The war is expected to dominate discussions among finance officials from around the world at next week's spring meetings of the IMF and World Bank in Washington.

The Fund is expected to release a range of scenarios in its upcoming World ‌Economic Outlook due ‌on April 14. It signaled a possible downgrade in a March 30 blog post, citing ‌the asymmetric ⁠shock of the ⁠war and tighter financial conditions.

Without the war, Georgieva said the IMF had expected a small upgrade in its projection for global growth of 3.3% in 2026 and 3.2% in 2027 as economies continue to recover from the pandemic.

"Instead, all roads now lead to higher prices and slower growth," said Georgieva, who will preview the spring meetings in a speech on Thursday. World Bank President Ajay Banga will present his view at an Atlantic Council event on Tuesday.

"We are in a world of elevated uncertainty," the IMF chief said, citing geopolitical tensions, technological advancements, climate shocks and demographic shifts.

"All of this means that after we recover from this shock, we need to keep our eyes open for the ⁠next one." The war has shrunk global oil supply by 13%, Georgieva said, with the impact rippling ‌through oil and gas shipments and into related supply chains such as helium ‌and fertilizers.

Even a rapid end to hostilities and a fairly rapid recovery will result in a "relatively small" downward revision of the growth forecast and an ‌upward revision of its inflation forecast, she said. If the war is protracted, the effect on inflation and growth will be ‌greater.

POOR COUNTRIES WILL BE HIT HARDEST

Poor, vulnerable countries with no energy reserves will be hardest hit, Georgieva added, noting that many countries had little to no fiscal space to help their populations weather the price increases caused by the war, which in turn also increased the prospects of social unrest.

Georgieva said some countries had already asked for funding help, but did not name them. She said the IMF could augment some existing lending programs ‌to meet countries' needs. Eighty-five percent of the IMF's members are energy importers.

Broad energy subsidies were not the answer, she said, urging policymakers to avoid government payments that could further inflame ⁠inflationary pressures.

The impact has been ⁠asymmetric, hitting energy-importing countries hardest, but even energy exporters such as Qatar are feeling the effect from Iranian strikes against their production facilities.

Qatar expects it will take three to five years to restore 17% of its natural gas production because of the damage, Georgieva said, while the International Energy Agency has reported 72 energy facilities have been damaged in the war, one-third of which have suffered significant damage.

"Even if the war is to stop today, there would be a lingering negative impact to the rest of the world," she said.

FOOD SECURITY A CONCERN

After the US and Israel attacked on February 28, Iran effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz, sending the price of crude oil and liquefied natural gas sharply higher.

The international Brent crude benchmark settled near $110 on Monday, with cash benchmarks sourced to the Middle East at a substantial premium to that price.

The heads of the IMF, IEA and World Bank said last week they would form a coordinated effort to assess the energy and economic effects of the war. Georgieva said the IMF was also engaging with the United Nations' World Food Program and Food and Agriculture Organization on food security.

The World Food Program said in mid-March that millions of people will face acute hunger if the war continues into June. Georgieva said the IMF did not see a food crisis yet, but that could happen if the delivery of fertilizers was impaired.



Macron Arrives in Kenya Ahead of Africa Summit

French President Emmanuel Macron (L) shakes hands with Kenyan President William Ruto (R) during a reception at State House ahead of the Africa Forward: Africa- France Partnerships for Innovation and Growth Summit in Nairobi, on May 10, 2026. (AFP)
French President Emmanuel Macron (L) shakes hands with Kenyan President William Ruto (R) during a reception at State House ahead of the Africa Forward: Africa- France Partnerships for Innovation and Growth Summit in Nairobi, on May 10, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Macron Arrives in Kenya Ahead of Africa Summit

French President Emmanuel Macron (L) shakes hands with Kenyan President William Ruto (R) during a reception at State House ahead of the Africa Forward: Africa- France Partnerships for Innovation and Growth Summit in Nairobi, on May 10, 2026. (AFP)
French President Emmanuel Macron (L) shakes hands with Kenyan President William Ruto (R) during a reception at State House ahead of the Africa Forward: Africa- France Partnerships for Innovation and Growth Summit in Nairobi, on May 10, 2026. (AFP)

President Emmanuel Macron on Sunday met with his Kenyan counterpart William Ruto in Nairobi as part of an African visit aimed at renewing France's engagement with the continent after years of strained ties with former colonies.

Macron is to co-host a two-day summit starting on Monday, bringing together African leaders and business executives, as he seeks to cement his legacy one year before the end of his term.

The meeting will focus on economic development and cross-border investment, among other themes, the French presidency said, stressing that it will be the first such forum held in an English-speaking country.

Macron hopes to highlight France's renewed relationship with the continent as a "report card on his Africa policy", said one diplomat.

Anti-French sentiment runs high in some former African colonies as the continent becomes a renewed diplomatic battleground, with Russian and Chinese influence growing.

Once master of vast expanses of northern, central and western Africa, France has played a crucial role in the continent's post-colonial history, repeatedly intervening militarily since the early 1960s.

France has vowed to abandon the so-called "Francafrique" strategy, under which Paris sought to keep francophone Africa under its thumb through political collusion, exclusive access for French businesses and oblique financial deals, including graft.

Macron arrived in English-speaking Kenya from Egypt and is also due to travel to Ethiopia as part of his Africa tour.


China, US to Hold Trade Talks in South Korea Next Week

 Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent listens as President Donald Trump speaks at a charter school in The Villages, Fla., Friday, May 1, 2026. (AP)
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent listens as President Donald Trump speaks at a charter school in The Villages, Fla., Friday, May 1, 2026. (AP)
TT

China, US to Hold Trade Talks in South Korea Next Week

 Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent listens as President Donald Trump speaks at a charter school in The Villages, Fla., Friday, May 1, 2026. (AP)
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent listens as President Donald Trump speaks at a charter school in The Villages, Fla., Friday, May 1, 2026. (AP)

Senior Chinese and US officials will hold talks in South Korea next week, Beijing's commerce ministry and Washington's Treasury secretary said Sunday, ahead of an expected summit between leaders Xi Jinping and Donald Trump.

The Chinese commerce ministry said in a statement that Vice Premier He Lifeng, Beijing's top economic official, will attend "consultations on mutual economic and trade issues" on Tuesday and Wednesday.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a post on X: "On Wednesday, I will stop in Seoul for a discussion with Vice Premier He Lifeng of China, before continuing on to Beijing for the Leaders' Summit between President Trump and President Xi."

Trump is set to visit China for a high-stakes summit with Xi, with the two leaders expected to focus on easing tensions over trade and Taiwan, with the war in the Middle East looming large over talks.

While Washington and Beijing slapped tit-for-tat tariffs on each other's exports a year ago, Trump and Xi agreed on a year-long trade truce at their October meeting in South Korea.


Aramco CEO Warns 1 Billion Barrels Lost Will Slow Oil Market Recovery

President and CEO of Saudi's Aramco, Amin Nasser, speaks during the Future Investment Initiative (FII) in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia October 29, 2024. (Reuters)
President and CEO of Saudi's Aramco, Amin Nasser, speaks during the Future Investment Initiative (FII) in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia October 29, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Aramco CEO Warns 1 Billion Barrels Lost Will Slow Oil Market Recovery

President and CEO of Saudi's Aramco, Amin Nasser, speaks during the Future Investment Initiative (FII) in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia October 29, 2024. (Reuters)
President and CEO of Saudi's Aramco, Amin Nasser, speaks during the Future Investment Initiative (FII) in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia October 29, 2024. (Reuters)

The world has lost about 1 billion barrels of oil over the past two months and energy markets will take time to stabilize even if ‌flows resume, ‌Saudi Aramco’s CEO said on ‌Sunday, ⁠as shipping disruptions ⁠choke traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.

"Our objective is simple: keep energy flowing, even when the system is under strain," Amin Nasser told Reuters in a statement after Aramco reported a 25% ⁠jump in net profit in ‌its first-quarter.

Global energy supplies ‌have been sharply squeezed by Iran’s blockade of ‌the Strait of Hormuz, which ‌has curtailed shipping and driven prices higher following the US-Israeli war.

"Reopening routes is not the same as normalizing a market that has ‌been deprived of about one billion barrels of oil," Nasser said, ⁠adding ⁠that years of underinvestment have compounded the strain on already-low global inventories.

Aramco has used its East-West Pipeline to bypass Hormuz and transport crude to the Red Sea, an asset Nasser described as a "critical lifeline" to mitigate the global supply crisis.

Despite shifts in shipping routes, Nasser reiterated that Asia remained a key priority for the company and was central to global demand.