Hormuz Crisis Saddles Global Companies with $25 Billion Bill

Oil/Chemical Tanker "Bald Man" at the Port of Fujairah, as the US-Israel conflict with Iran limits marine traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, May 6, 2026. (Reuters)
Oil/Chemical Tanker "Bald Man" at the Port of Fujairah, as the US-Israel conflict with Iran limits marine traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, May 6, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Hormuz Crisis Saddles Global Companies with $25 Billion Bill

Oil/Chemical Tanker "Bald Man" at the Port of Fujairah, as the US-Israel conflict with Iran limits marine traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, May 6, 2026. (Reuters)
Oil/Chemical Tanker "Bald Man" at the Port of Fujairah, as the US-Israel conflict with Iran limits marine traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, May 6, 2026. (Reuters)

The US-Israeli war with Iran has already cost companies around the world at least $25 billion - and the bill is climbing, according to a Reuters analysis.

A review of corporate statements since the start of the conflict by companies listed in the United States, Europe and Asia offers a sobering look at the fallout.

Businesses are grappling with soaring energy prices, fractured supply ‌chains and trade routes severed by Iran's chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz.

At least 279 companies have cited the war as a trigger for defensive actions to blunt the financial hit, including price increases and production cuts, the analysis shows.

Others have suspended dividends or buybacks, furloughed staff, added fuel surcharges, or sought emergency government assistance.

“This level of industry decline is similar to what we have observed during the global financial crisis in 2008, and even higher than during other recessionary periods,” Whirlpool CEO Marc Bitzer told analysts after it slashed its full-year forecast in half and suspended its dividend.

As growth slows, pricing power will weaken and fixed costs will become harder to absorb, analysts say, threatening profit margins ⁠in the second quarter and beyond. Sustained price hikes are likely to fuel inflation, hurting already-fragile consumer confidence.

“Consumers are holding back on replacing products and rather repairing them,” Bitzer said.

The appliance maker is not alone. Companies including Procter & Gamble, Malaysia’s Karex company and Toyota have warned of the mounting toll as the conflict enters its third month.

Iran's blockade of the Strait of Hormuz - the world's most critical energy chokepoint - has pushed oil prices above $100 a barrel, more than 50% higher than before the war.

The closure has driven up shipping costs, squeezed supplies of raw materials and cut off trade routes vital to the flow of goods. Supplies of fertilizers, helium, aluminum, polyethylene and other key inputs have been hit.

One-fifth of companies in the review, which make everything from cosmetics to tires and detergent, to cruise operators and airlines, have flagged a financial hit due to the war.

A majority were based in the UK and Europe, where energy costs were already elevated, while almost a third were from Asia, reflecting those regions' deep reliance on Middle Eastern oil and fuel products.

To put the tally into context, hundreds of companies by October last year had flagged more than $35 billion in costs from US President Donald Trump’s 2025 tariffs.

Airlines account for the biggest share of quantified war-related costs, representing nearly $15 billion, with jet fuel prices having nearly doubled.

Sounding the alarm

As the bottleneck drags on, more companies from other industries are sounding the alarm. Japan's Toyota warned of a $4.3 billion hit while P&G estimated a $1 billion ‌post-tax profit ⁠blow.

Fast-food giant McDonald's said earlier this month it expected higher long-term cost inflation from ongoing supply-chain disruptions, the kind of assessment that until recently had been confined to industrial earnings calls.

The surge in fuel prices is hurting lower-income consumer demand, CEO Chris Kempczinski said, adding that “elevated gas prices are the core issue we're seeing right now.”

Nearly 40 companies in the industrials, chemicals, and materials industries have said they would raise prices due to their exposure to Middle Eastern petrochemical supply.

Newell Brands Chief Financial Officer Mark Erceg said earlier this month that every $5 rise in per-barrel oil prices adds about $5 million in costs.

German tiremaker Continental expects a hit of at least 100 million euros ($117 million) from the second quarter due to surging oil prices making raw materials more expensive.

Continental executive Roland Welzbacher said earlier this month that it would take three to ⁠four months before affecting the company's profit-and-loss statement. “It probably hits us late in Q2, and then it will come in full-blown in the second half,” he said.

Corporate profits have been buoyant through the first quarter, part of why major indexes like the S&P 500 have managed to scale new highs even as energy costs bite and bond yields rise on inflation-led worries.

Since March 31, second-quarter net profit margin forecasts have been cut by 0.38 percentage points for S&P 500 industrials, 0.14 percentage points for consumer discretionary companies and 0.08 ⁠percentage points for consumer staples, FactSet data show.

European STOXX 600-listed companies will face margin pressure beginning in the second quarter, as it will become harder to pass through extra costs and as protection from hedging expires, Goldman Sachs analysts said.

Consumer-facing sectors including autos, telecoms, and household products are seeing negative revisions of more than 5% for the next 12 months, Gerry Fowler, UBS head of European equity strategy, said.

In Japan, analysts have halved estimates for second-quarter earnings growth to 11.8% since the end of March.

“The ⁠true earnings hit has not yet materialized in most companies' results,” said Rami Sarafa, CEO of Cordoba Advisory Partners.



Saudi Airports Handle 141 Million Passengers in 2025 as Aircraft Fleet Expands

Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)
Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)
TT

Saudi Airports Handle 141 Million Passengers in 2025 as Aircraft Fleet Expands

Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)
Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)

Saudi Arabia’s airports handled 140.9 million passengers in 2025, marking another year of strong growth for the Kingdom’s aviation sector as the national aircraft fleet expanded by 33.8%, according to data released by the General Authority for Statistics.

The number of passengers traveling through Saudi airports rose 9.6% from 2024, reflecting the Kingdom’s accelerating push to strengthen its position as a regional travel hub and global aviation gateway.

International traffic accounted for 75.8 million passengers, up 9.4% year-on-year, while domestic passenger traffic increased 9.8% to 65.1 million. On average, Saudi airports handled around 207,700 international passengers and 178,600 domestic passengers a day.

King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah remained the Kingdom’s busiest airport, handling 53.5 million passengers during the year, an increase of 9.0% from 2024. King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh followed with 40.8 million passengers, up 8.7%, while King Fahd International Airport in Dammam handled 13.7 million passengers, posting annual growth of 7.0%.

The increase in passenger traffic was accompanied by a rise in flight activity across the Kingdom’s airports. Total arriving and departing flights climbed 8.3% year-on-year to 979,800 flights in 2025, including 506,300 domestic flights, up 6.8%, and 473,500 international flights, up 9.9%.

King Abdulaziz International Airport also recorded the highest number of aircraft movements with 314,400 flights, followed by King Khalid International Airport with 296,800 flights and King Fahd International Airport with 108,500 flights.

Saudi Arabia’s aviation fleet recorded one of the strongest areas of growth during the year, with the total number of commercial and general aviation aircraft rising to 483 from the previous year’s level. The fleet included 266 commercial aircraft and 217 aircraft dedicated to general aviation.

Aircraft with capacities ranging from 151 to 250 seats accounted for the largest share of the commercial fleet at 120 aircraft, while the sector continued to modernize its operations, with 99 aircraft less than five years old.

The Kingdom also expanded its global air connectivity during 2025, with Saudi airports linked to 66 countries worldwide, up 1.5% from a year earlier. The total number of domestic and international destinations connected to the Kingdom rose 2.3% to 176 destinations.

Saudi Arabia ranked 18th globally in the 2025 Air Connectivity Index, underscoring the sector’s growing international reach.

Saudia accounted for the largest share of flights operating in Saudi airspace at 25.5%, followed by low-cost carrier flynas at 13.3% and flyadeal at 8.6%.

Air cargo volumes handled through Saudi airports totaled 1.18 million metric tons in 2025, with imports accounting for the largest share at 695,600 tons. Transit cargo reached nearly 420,100 tons, while exports exceeded 69,700 tons.

March recorded the highest monthly cargo throughput of the year, with more than 113,400 tons handled during the month.

The Kingdom also continued to expand logistics infrastructure at its main airports to support cargo growth and broader supply chain ambitions. King Fahd International Airport operated nine cargo facilities, while King Khalid International Airport had eight facilities and King Abdulaziz International Airport operated four integrated cargo facilities.

The expansion forms part of Saudi Arabia’s strategy to position itself as a global logistics hub linking Asia, Africa and Europe.


Supertanker with Iraqi Oil Heads for Vietnam After Hold-up in US Blockade

Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)
Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Supertanker with Iraqi Oil Heads for Vietnam After Hold-up in US Blockade

Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)
Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)

Supertanker Agios Fanourios I is heading for Vietnam to discharge its Iraqi crude oil cargo after it was held by the US Navy for five days in the Gulf of Oman, the vessel's manager said on Monday.

The Maltese-flagged Very Large Crude Carrier sailed out of the Strait of Hormuz on May 10 and was sailing in the Gulf of Oman before making a ‌U-turn on ‌May 11.

It resumed its journey ‌toward ⁠Vietnam on May 16 ⁠and is expected to arrive at the Nghi Son refinery on May 30, LSEG shipping data showed.

A VLCC can carry a maximum of two million barrels of oil.

A source at the vessel's Athens-based manager Eastern Mediterranean Maritime, who spoke on condition of ⁠anonymity, confirmed that the tanker was sailing ‌on to Vietnam after ‌it had received US Navy approval.

The US military's Central Command ‌said last week that the vessel was redirected as ‌part of ongoing enforcement of the blockade against Iran.

At least two other crude tankers sailed from the strait last week, but overall crude traffic through the strait has ‌remained limited.

Before the war on Iran began, the Strait of Hormuz was the conduit ⁠for 20% ⁠of the world's energy supplies, equating to 125 to 140 daily passages.

"Shipping confidence around Hormuz is still very weak," ship broker Clarksons said in a note on Monday.

A further 12 ships crossed the strait in the past 24 hours, including two liquefied petroleum gas tankers bound for India, according to satellite analysis from data analytics specialists SynMax.

A separate LPG tanker was sailing through the strait on Monday also bound for India, data on the MarineTraffic platform showed.


Asian Markets Cautious, Oil Dips after Trump Holds Off on Iran Attack

Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP
Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP
TT

Asian Markets Cautious, Oil Dips after Trump Holds Off on Iran Attack

Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP
Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP

Asian markets were mixed Tuesday as oil prices eased on hopes of a US-Iran deal, though elevated crude levels capped investor appetite for risk.

Energy markets held center stage after US President Donald Trump signaled "serious negotiations" with Tehran and called off planned strikes, boosting optimism that tensions could.

The war the United States and Israel launched February 28 has led to an effective blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, through which around 20 percent of global oil exports passed in peacetime.

The leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates asked him "to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place", Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.

But Trump added that he instructed the US military to be "prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached".

Speaking later at a White House event, Trump said there had been a "very positive development" and that Arab allies said a deal was near that would leave Iran without nuclear weapons, which Tehran denies pursuing.

"There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I'd be very happy," Trump said.

However, he also warned the United States was prepared to launch a "full, large-scale assault" if negotiations collapse, underscoring the fragility of the situation.

Oil dipped on the prospect of diplomacy, but the move offered only limited relief after weeks of volatility driven by the Middle East conflict.

International benchmark Brent was hovering around $109 while West Texas Intermediate at $107.

Equity performance wavered.

Tokyo's Nikkei 225 opened lower, with local jitters offset by local resilience. Japan's gross domestic product expanded 0.5 percent in the first quarter, exceeding market forecasts of 0.4 percent.

Seoul's Kospi slid by more than four percent, with tech stocks losing ground after taking their lead from Wall Street. Shanghai, Taipei and Jakarta also slid.

Hong Kong, Sydney and Wellington were ahead.

Safe-haven demand was higher, with both gold and silver edging up, suggesting investors remain wary.

All eyes are on Wednesday's quarterly results from US chip titan Nvidia, which will be scrutinized as investors question whether huge spending on AI data centers is justified by potential returns.