EU Seeks Faster Crackdown on China Parcels that Could Hit Shein, Temu

Shein and Temu logos are seen in this illustration taken August 22, 2024. (Reuters)
Shein and Temu logos are seen in this illustration taken August 22, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

EU Seeks Faster Crackdown on China Parcels that Could Hit Shein, Temu

Shein and Temu logos are seen in this illustration taken August 22, 2024. (Reuters)
Shein and Temu logos are seen in this illustration taken August 22, 2024. (Reuters)

European finance ministers agreed on Thursday to bring forward to next year customs duties on low-value parcels arriving in the bloc to crack down on cheap Chinese e-commerce imports, in a move set to hit Chinese online retailers Shein and Temu.

The agreement to introduce duties "as soon as possible in 2026" by finance ministers' meeting in Brussels sets up negotiations with the European Parliament, whose approval is also required, Reuters reported.

The European Union is trying to accelerate the imposition of fees on low-value parcels entering the bloc in a bid to crack down on cheap Chinese e-commerce imports as concern grows over Chinese goods being dumped in Europe.

European Commissioner for Trade Maros Sefcovic had proposed to the ministers that the "de minimis" duties exemption for online purchases below 150 euros ($175) be removed in the first quarter of 2026, two years earlier than planned. It should be replaced with a "simplified temporary customs fee", he said.

In 2023, the European Commission proposed removing the exemption, but only from 2028, when a broader overhaul of the EU's customs regime is due to take effect and the de minimis exemption will more formally be abolished.

Online platforms like Shein, Temu, AliExpress and Amazon Haul, which send products from Chinese factories directly to shoppers, offer rock-bottom prices partly thanks to the customs waiver, hurting European rivals.

"European industries, particularly retailers, have repeatedly underlined that this distortion of competition be removed without delay," Sefcovic wrote.

German online retailer Zalando, among those pushing the EU to act, said in a statement that the removal of the exemption should be fast-tracked, and an EU-wide handling fee could "play a complementary role" in the meantime.

MOVE TO HIT SHEIN, TEMU

Shein declined to comment, while Temu, AliExpress, and Amazon did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Shein is facing legal proceedings in France over the sale of child-like sex dolls on its platform.

The number of low-value e-commerce packages arriving in the bloc doubled last year to 4.6 billion, over 90% of them from China, and the Commission, the bloc's executive arm, is facing pressure from EU companies to stem that flow more quickly.

"We've already received more parcels than in the entire year of 2024, and Black Friday and Christmas are just around the corner," EU lawmaker Dirk Gotink, chief negotiator on the new customs legislation, said in a statement welcoming the move to scrap the customs waiver faster.

The US has scrapped its own "de minimis" policy that allowed duty-free entry to parcels worth less than $800, leading to concerns that cheap Chinese imports would divert more to Europe.

There is also added urgency as individual EU countries have moved to introduce national handling fees.

Romania has proposed a 25 lei ($5.73) fee on low-value packages, while Italy is working on a tax by the end of the year to protect its fashion industry, its industry minister said on Wednesday.

RETAILERS WARN AGAINST ASSORTMENT OF NATIONAL FEES

European retailers and wholesalers' lobby group EuroCommerce have warned that an assortment of different national fees risks undermining the EU single market. The Commission has proposed a 2 euro fee, but it is not clear when it would be imposed.

Sefcovic said he welcomed the backing from EU finance ministers because European business, particularly retailers, had repeatedly demanded the removal without delay of "this distortion of competition".

Dutch Finance Minister Eelco Heinen told reporters it was time to "get a grip" on cheap Chinese parcels flooding the European market, while Greek Finance Minister Kyriakos Pierrakakis said in a statement that his country backed the immediate imposition of tariffs on small parcels.

 

 



Gucci Takes Over New York's Times Square for Fashion Show

A model presents a creation from the Gucci Cruise 2027 collection at Times Square in New York City, US, May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz
A model presents a creation from the Gucci Cruise 2027 collection at Times Square in New York City, US, May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz
TT

Gucci Takes Over New York's Times Square for Fashion Show

A model presents a creation from the Gucci Cruise 2027 collection at Times Square in New York City, US, May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz
A model presents a creation from the Gucci Cruise 2027 collection at Times Square in New York City, US, May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz

Famed Italian fashion house Gucci took over New York's iconic Times Square on Saturday for its second runway show led by creative director Demna.

Models walked down a wide runway set up in Manhattan, bordered by 7th Avenue and Broadway, while its famous billboards broadcast the images.

Guests were separated from the street by large black panels, while onlookers and tourists were able to enjoy the show live from the sidewalk as it was broadcast across screens in the famed neighborhood.

The Cruise collection show -- held outside the official fashion calendars -- is the second show presented by Georgian designer Demna, who goes by one name, AFP reported.

The 45-year-old took over Gucci in July after a decade at Balenciaga, charged with helping reverse falling sales.

As with his first show in Milan last February, Demna emphasized the sexiness and glamour that have made Gucci a success: satiny, shiny fabrics, leather, leopard prints, fur, high heels for the women and cinched waists for everyone.

The nods to the 1970s and 1980s were pronounced, as were the references to Tom Ford, who helmed the collections between 1994 and 2004 -- a period considered a golden age for the brand.

Model Cindy Crawford, former American football player Tom Brady, and media personality Paris Hilton walked the runway. Other guests included singer Mariah Carey, musician Shawn Mendes, rapper Stormzy and reality TV star Kim Kardashian.

French luxury group Kering, which owns Gucci, saw sales slide by six percent in the first quarter of this year, with the Italian fashion house still dragging down its performance.

"Our priority is to make Gucci unmissable again... In one second you must know it's Gucci -- and it doesn't mean covering the world with GG," the group's CEO Luca de Meo said in April.


Milan Fashion Week Says Will Ask Brands Not to Show Fur

Protestors hold signs reading "Ban fur" ahead of the Giorgio Armani womens's ready-to-wear Fall/Winter 2026 collection fashion show as part of the Milan Fashion Week, in Milan on March 1, 2026. (AFP)
Protestors hold signs reading "Ban fur" ahead of the Giorgio Armani womens's ready-to-wear Fall/Winter 2026 collection fashion show as part of the Milan Fashion Week, in Milan on March 1, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Milan Fashion Week Says Will Ask Brands Not to Show Fur

Protestors hold signs reading "Ban fur" ahead of the Giorgio Armani womens's ready-to-wear Fall/Winter 2026 collection fashion show as part of the Milan Fashion Week, in Milan on March 1, 2026. (AFP)
Protestors hold signs reading "Ban fur" ahead of the Giorgio Armani womens's ready-to-wear Fall/Winter 2026 collection fashion show as part of the Milan Fashion Week, in Milan on March 1, 2026. (AFP)

Milan Fashion Week said Friday it would "invite" participating brands at its high-profile runway shows not to show fur, in a partial concession to animal rights activists following pressure.

The National Chamber of Italian Fashion (CNMI), which organizes fashion week, has been under pressure from animal activists to ban fur at the shows -- something fashion weeks in London, New York and various others have already done.

But the guidelines published Friday fell short of activists' demands, making the request not to show fur voluntary.

"CNMI believes that the most effective approach does not consist in imposing bans... but in issuing a request not to present, during the Milan Fashion Week shows, clothing, accessories, or any other item made of fur," the body said.

The new guidelines, to come into effect starting in September, include the chamber not using fur in its communications.

According to the chamber, materials excluded from the guidelines include shearling, vintage fur and fur obtained "by indigenous communities through traditional subsistence hunting practices".

Most fashion names who show at Milan Fashion Week have already gone fur-free, including the Armani Group, Dolce & Gabbana and Prada, but a major holdout has been Fendi, which began as a furrier.

In her first show for the brand, new Fendi designer Maria Grazia Chiuri showed a collection that included "remodeled" furs, or pieces from old furs reworked into new designs.

In March, anti-fur activists demonstrated during the women's shows, unfurling banners that said "Milan Fashion Week Go Fur-Free".

Animal activists noted that CNMI's new guidelines fell short of the flat-out bans on fur seen in other fashion weeks, but nevertheless called it progress.

"Without a fur-free policy like those in place at New York and London Fashion Weeks, there is no guarantee that cruelty will be excluded from Milan's runways, but we hope this anti-fur statement encourages greater use of next-generation biomaterials, which are both beautiful and responsible," said Emma Hakansson of Collective Fashion Justice.

The European Commission has yet to rule on a 2023 citizens' initiative that called on the EU to ban fur farms and the killing of animals such as mink, foxes, raccoon dogs or chinchillas solely for their pelts.

Activists cite the cruelty inherent in fur farming, in which the animals are crammed into tiny wire battery cages before being gassed or electrocuted.


Dior Nods to Hollywood's Golden Age with Cruise Collection

Models walk the runway during the Dior 2027 Cruise collection fashion show at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) in Los Angeles on May 13, 2026. (Photo by Patrick T. Fallon / AFP)
Models walk the runway during the Dior 2027 Cruise collection fashion show at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) in Los Angeles on May 13, 2026. (Photo by Patrick T. Fallon / AFP)
TT

Dior Nods to Hollywood's Golden Age with Cruise Collection

Models walk the runway during the Dior 2027 Cruise collection fashion show at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) in Los Angeles on May 13, 2026. (Photo by Patrick T. Fallon / AFP)
Models walk the runway during the Dior 2027 Cruise collection fashion show at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) in Los Angeles on May 13, 2026. (Photo by Patrick T. Fallon / AFP)

Lights, camera, Dior! The French fashion house has unveiled an ode to the golden age of cinema in Los Angeles at its highly anticipated Cruise 2027 show, the first of its kind under creative director Jonathan Anderson.

At the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), Anderson -- who took the creative reins at Dior last year -- presented a runway show inspired by Hollywood glamour, with nods to the natural beauty of California.

Singers Sabrina Carpenter and Miley Cyrus, and actors Al Pacino, Jeff Goldblum, Anya Taylor-Joy and Macaulay Culkin were among the celebrities who attended the glitzy extravaganza in LACMA's newly opened David Geffen Galleries.

The audience was transported to the set of a classic detective film, with colorful vintage cars placed amidst the museum's stark concrete curves and moody lighting, AFP reported.

Models emerged from the smoky haze in effervescent hues of yellow, purple, and orange.

The collection explores the French house's historical relationship with Hollywood, taking as its starting point the ultimatum Marlene Dietrich gave to director Alfred Hitchcock before the filming of "Stage Fright" in the late 1940s: "No Dior, no Dietrich!"

Just like the legendary actress's wardrobe, Dior's show late Wednesday exuded glamour and female empowerment.

Flowers played a prominent role, with a spray of daffodils bursting from one skirt or the red-orange petals of California's poppy, the state flower, cascading down a dress.

Jackets also had their place on the runway in shades of black, gold, and silver.

A striking gray-striped coat featured geometric shadows that mimicked light filtering through Venetian blinds, appearing as if it had practically materialized from a black and white film.

A model wears a creation from the Christian Dior Cruise 2027 collection show at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) in Los Angeles, California, US, May 13, 2026. REUTERS/Daniel Cole

The new version of the brand's signature saddle bag, inspired by vintage American cars, complemented the outfits.

The nostalgic tone of the collection was captured by some attendees who praised the juxtaposition of pieces, resulting in fluid, less cinched silhouettes reminiscent of 1940s Hollywood.

Anderson, former artistic director of the Spanish fashion house Loewe, in June 2025 became the first designer since Christian Dior to oversee all three lines (women's, men's, and haute couture) for the legendary French house.

Following an acclaimed first menswear collection in June and a less enthusiastically received first womenswear collection in October, Anderson presented a second, more extravagant menswear collection in the French capital in January.

Then, for his first haute couture collection, the 41-year-old Northern Irish designer presented a line with punk touches and floral accents, true to his rebellious spirit.

Like Dior, nominated for an Oscar in 1955 for the costumes in "Indiscretion of an American Wife," Anderson has built a connection with Hollywood, contributing to productions such as "Challengers" (2024), starring Zendaya and directed by Luca Guadagnino.

Dior holds its Cruise, or resort, shows in different locations each year, showcasing the luxury house's designs in new locales.

The transitional collection debuted last year in Rome, after shows in Scotland and Mexico. This special runway show last took place in Los Angeles in 2017.