Bagheri-Kani Visits Muscat as Oman, Iraq Discuss Transferring Iranian Funds

Chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani with Undersecretary for Diplomatic Affairs at Oman's Foreign Ministry Khalifa al-Harthy. (Oman's Foreign Ministry)
Chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani with Undersecretary for Diplomatic Affairs at Oman's Foreign Ministry Khalifa al-Harthy. (Oman's Foreign Ministry)
TT

Bagheri-Kani Visits Muscat as Oman, Iraq Discuss Transferring Iranian Funds

Chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani with Undersecretary for Diplomatic Affairs at Oman's Foreign Ministry Khalifa al-Harthy. (Oman's Foreign Ministry)
Chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani with Undersecretary for Diplomatic Affairs at Oman's Foreign Ministry Khalifa al-Harthy. (Oman's Foreign Ministry)

Chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani held talks with Oman’s Undersecretary for Diplomatic Affairs Khalifa al-Harthy at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Muscat on Thursday.

The Omani Foreign Ministry said in a statement that the talks addressed the bilateral ties and ways to enhance cooperation between their countries to serve their interests.  

"A number of regional and international issues of common concern were also discussed," it added.  

Iranian ambassador to Oman Ali Najafi attended the officials' talks, reported the IRNA news agency.

Oman is trying to revitalize its mediation role between Washington and Tehran, especially after negotiations aimed at reviving the 2015 nuclear deal failed in September amid mutual accusations of unreasonable demands.  

Muscat previously hosted rounds of indirect talks between US National Security Council official Brett McGurk and Bagheri-Kani, a Western official told Reuters in mid-June.  

Iranian and Western officials said the two parties want to sketch out steps to limit the Iranian nuclear program, release some detained US citizens held by Iran and unfreeze some Iranian assets abroad.  

Iranian officials said the talks under Oman’s mediation increase the possibility of freeing US detainees in exchange for releasing frozen Iranian assets in South Korea, Iraq, and the World Bank.  

Last Saturday, Iran's government submitted a bill to parliament to approve sending the case of frozen assets in South Korean banks to arbitration.  

The government then submitted a complaint at international courts against Seoul regarding Tehran's assets that have been frozen due to US sanctions.  

In June, Bagheri-Kani visited Abu Dhabi, where he met his counterpart from the European Troika. He later held talks with the European Union's coordinator for nuclear negotiations with Iran, Enrique Mora.  

In both meetings, the Iranians received a warning from the Europeans about maintaining the nuclear missile sanctions set to expire on October 18 under the 2015 nuclear deal.  

Meanwhile, Iraqi Prime Minister, Mohammad Shia al-Sudani, announced that a delegation from the Iraqi central bank and the Trade Bank of Iraq (TBI) traveled to Oman to agree on a formula for transferring the funds to the Sultanate, in agreement with the US treasury.  

"Work is continuing with the US regarding the unpaid bills, which dropped to 9.25 billion euros," Sudani told reporters in a press conference in Baghdad, adding that Iraq has transferred around 1.9 billion euros owed to Iran within the first seven months of his government based on a mechanism agreed upon with Washington.  

The US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said during a press conference that the waiver provided to Iraq last month allows for the transfer of funds from Iran's restricted accounts in Iraq to banned accounts in select third-country banks.  

Miller added that Sudani "has demonstrated commitment to strengthening Iraq's energy security, and this mechanism is only one way we seek to alleviate Iranian pressure on Iraq."  

"We work closely with Iraq to ensure these energy payments are managed in a manner consistent with US sanctions and cannot be diverted for illicit means," noted the spokesman, adding that the US remains "supportive of transactions for humanitarian goods and will continue to engage with the Iraqi Government on these complex issues." 



Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov congratulated each other on Thursday on the centenary of diplomatic relations between their countries.

Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji received, on behalf of the foreign minister, a letter from Lavrov during a meeting with Russian Ambassador to the Kingdom Sergey Kozlov in Riyadh.

The diplomats exchanged congratulations on the centenary of diplomatic relations and discussed several issues of common interest.


Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz bestowed on Thursday the King Abdulaziz Medal of Excellent Class upon former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla.

The medal was awarded at the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

The ceremony took place at the defense minister's office in Riyadh.


Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, visited the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday to perform prayers.

He received upon his arrival by President of Religious Affairs at the Grand Mosque and the Prophet's Mosque Sheikh Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sudais, Minister of Hajj and Umrah Tawfig Al-Rabiah, and a number of the mosque's imams and preachers.

Crown Prince Mohammed was accompanied by Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Salman bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, Minister of State and Cabinet Member Prince Turki bin Mohammed bin Fahd bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Riyadh Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud bin Abdulaziz, Prince Saud bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Minister of Culture Prince Bader bin Abdullah bin Farhan, and several other officials.

Earlier, in Riyadh, Crown Prince Mohammed received at the Al-Yamamah Palace Saudi Arabia's grand mufti, several princes, scholars, ministers, and a number of citizens who came to extend their congratulations on the occasion of Ramadan. 

The Crown Prince prayed to Allah Almighty to accept everyone's fasting and righteous deeds, and to bless the Kingdom with continued security, stability, and prosperity under the leadership of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.