Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah stressed on Tuesday that “there can be no discussions about the future of Gaza before a ceasefire and cessation of all forms of violence against civilians.”
“This humanitarian tragedy cannot be justified with excuses of self-defense,” he said.
Prince Faisal made his remarks in Moscow where he, along with his Muslim and Arab counterparts, were visiting as part of a committee that was formed in wake of the extraordinary Arab League and Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) summit that was held in Riyadh earlier this month to tackle the conflict in Gaza.
The committee, led by Prince Faisal, has been tasked with visiting influential countries to push for a ceasefire. China was the first stop of its tour; Russia is the second.
Prince Faisal reiterated the demand for an immediate end to the war on Gaza, calling for “the resumption of a serious and fair peace process” backed by international resolutions.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said preparations must be made to launch a peace process based on the two-state solution.