Kuwait Interior Ministry’s Call to Report Citizenship Fraud Turns into Elections Fodder

 A vendor arranges decorative items in his shop at a market in Kuwait City on March 10, 2024, ahead of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)
A vendor arranges decorative items in his shop at a market in Kuwait City on March 10, 2024, ahead of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)
TT

Kuwait Interior Ministry’s Call to Report Citizenship Fraud Turns into Elections Fodder

 A vendor arranges decorative items in his shop at a market in Kuwait City on March 10, 2024, ahead of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)
A vendor arranges decorative items in his shop at a market in Kuwait City on March 10, 2024, ahead of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)

The Kuwaiti Interior Ministry’s announcement on Saturday of a hotline to report cases of dual citizenship and citizenship forgery has stirred heated debate in the country.

In a statement, the ministry said the hotline was part of a legal measure as part of its efforts “to combat crime, corruption and preserve the national identity and public interest.”

Every person aware of a crime is obligated by law to report it, it stressed.

All measures taken by the ministry are in line with the constitution and laws, it went on to say after receiving a wave of criticism over the hotline.

Also on Saturday, four decrees were issued to revoke the citizenship of 26 people for various reasons.

It was the latest in such decisions. Around 30 people have had their citizenship revoked this month after it was found that they had obtained it through fraud.

Among the people targeted in the decision was opposition figure Hakim al-Mutairi, head of the Ummah Party. He was arrested and interrogated by Turkish authorities last year as Ankara attempts to improve its ties with the Gulf. Mutairi resides in Türkiye.

He was found guilty by Kuwait of involvement in the so-called “Gaddafi Leaks” case. Mutairi was accused of asking for funds from late Libyan leader Moammar al-Gaddafi to stir unrest in Gulf countries.

Elections fodder

The Interior Ministry’s request to report citizenship fraud has turned into fodder for the upcoming National Assembly elections.

Several former lawmakers and current candidates viewed the move as an attempt to “create strife” and turn people into informants.

Candidate Obeid al-Wasmi said: “It is inappropriate for the Interior Ministry to use the national identity as a subject for debate.”

“It is also inappropriate for it to recruit people as informants,” he added.

Former MP and current candidate Saud al-Asfoor said: “Making people suspicious of each other and inciting them to spy on each other will harm the country.”

Candidate Bader Sayar al-Shammari remarked: “The Kuwaitis are free people and have stuck together during the hardest times. They will not heed the call of a bankrupt discriminatory government that wants to drag them towards hatred.”



Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov congratulated each other on Thursday on the centenary of diplomatic relations between their countries.

Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji received, on behalf of the foreign minister, a letter from Lavrov during a meeting with Russian Ambassador to the Kingdom Sergey Kozlov in Riyadh.

The diplomats exchanged congratulations on the centenary of diplomatic relations and discussed several issues of common interest.


Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz bestowed on Thursday the King Abdulaziz Medal of Excellent Class upon former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla.

The medal was awarded at the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

The ceremony took place at the defense minister's office in Riyadh.


Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, visited the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday to perform prayers.

He received upon his arrival by President of Religious Affairs at the Grand Mosque and the Prophet's Mosque Sheikh Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sudais, Minister of Hajj and Umrah Tawfig Al-Rabiah, and a number of the mosque's imams and preachers.

Crown Prince Mohammed was accompanied by Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Salman bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, Minister of State and Cabinet Member Prince Turki bin Mohammed bin Fahd bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Riyadh Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud bin Abdulaziz, Prince Saud bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Minister of Culture Prince Bader bin Abdullah bin Farhan, and several other officials.

Earlier, in Riyadh, Crown Prince Mohammed received at the Al-Yamamah Palace Saudi Arabia's grand mufti, several princes, scholars, ministers, and a number of citizens who came to extend their congratulations on the occasion of Ramadan. 

The Crown Prince prayed to Allah Almighty to accept everyone's fasting and righteous deeds, and to bless the Kingdom with continued security, stability, and prosperity under the leadership of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.