Turkey Opens Largest Foreign Military Base in Somalia

Turkish army's Chief of General Staff Hulusi Akar, center left, escorts Somali Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khayre during an inauguration ceremony of the Turkish military base in Mogadishu on September 30, 2017. (AFP photo)
Turkish army's Chief of General Staff Hulusi Akar, center left, escorts Somali Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khayre during an inauguration ceremony of the Turkish military base in Mogadishu on September 30, 2017. (AFP photo)
TT

Turkey Opens Largest Foreign Military Base in Somalia

Turkish army's Chief of General Staff Hulusi Akar, center left, escorts Somali Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khayre during an inauguration ceremony of the Turkish military base in Mogadishu on September 30, 2017. (AFP photo)
Turkish army's Chief of General Staff Hulusi Akar, center left, escorts Somali Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khayre during an inauguration ceremony of the Turkish military base in Mogadishu on September 30, 2017. (AFP photo)

Turkey inaugurated its largest foreign military base in the world on Saturday in Mogadishu, Somalia, in a ceremony attended by Somali Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire, head of the Turkish military General Hulusi Akar, Somali leaders, and top Turkish military officials and diplomats.

Speaking at the inauguration ceremony, PM Khaire highlighted the significance of the training base for his country saying this is the right direction toward the development and the re-establishment of a Somali Army capable and ready to defense its nation.

“This training base has a unique significance for us because it is a concrete step taken toward building an inclusive and integrated Somali National Army,” said Khaire, adding: "My government and our Somali people will not forget this huge help by our Turkish brothers. This academy will help us train more troops."

Khaire said the base also will help defeat extremism and the ideology that drives young Somali men into violence and terrorism.

For his part, General Akar said the base is the biggest sign of how Turkey wants to help Somalia.

“We are committed to help Somali government, and this base will cover the need for building strong Somali National Army. And it is biggest sign showing our relationship,” confirmed Akar.

The training facility is located south of Mogadishu and had been under construction for the last two years. It is spread over 4 square kilometers and has the capacity to train more than 1,500 troops at a time.

The base will be used to train Somali army forces in its fight against al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab attempting to overthrow the Somali government and install a strict form of Islamic law throughout the country.

General Akar arrived in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu on Friday where he was received by the commander of the Somali armed forces, General Mohamed Ahmed Jim'ale, at Adan Abdulle international airport in Mogadishu.

Akar then met with Somali President Mohammed Abdullahi Farmajo who had previously described the Turkish base as “largest Turkish base in the world”.

In other news, Shabab movement threatened to target US troops in Somalia according to a new recording attributed to the movement’s spokesperson Ali Tiri.

Tiri said that on Friday, Shabab had targeted a US-trained base of Somali forces in southwest the country. He threatened that the movement will target US forces next.

The movement issued the threats after a number of its militants and leaders were killed during US air raids announced by US Africa Command (Africom).

Meanwhile, Somali army announced its “grand victory” over Shabab militants in Lower Shabelle region following intensified clashes between army forces and the militants.

Somali News Agency reported commander in charge of the base, General Shegow Ahmed as saying that at least 20 militants were killed as the sides exchanged fire.

At least 20 militants were killed Friday, including commanders, when al-Shabab militants stormed an army base and the two sides clashed for hours.

The militants attacked the base in the town of Barire, 47 kilometers southwest of Mogadishu, is one of the liberated towns after it had been under Shabab control for a long time.

The movement declared that the attack is in retaliation for the death of 11 farmers with the help of US army.

Shabab aims to topple the government in Mogadishu and impose its strict interpretation of Islam in the country. It was driven out of the capital in 2011, however it is still heavily present in the south and center of the country.

Al-Qaeda-linked group still carries out frequent attacks on security and government targets, as well as civilians. It also targets African Union peacekeeping troops.



Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.


Syria Starts Evacuating ISIS-linked Al-Hol Camp

TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
TT

Syria Starts Evacuating ISIS-linked Al-Hol Camp

TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)

Syrian authorities began evacuating remaining residents of the ISIS group-linked Al-Hol camp in the country's northeast on Tuesday, as they empty the formerly Kurdish-controlled facility, two officials told AFP.

Fadi al-Qassem, the official appointed by the government with managing Al-Hol's affairs, told AFP that the camp "will be fully evacuated within a week, and nobody will remain", adding that "the evacuation started today".

A government source told AFP on condition of anonymity that "the emergencies and disaster management ministry is working now to evacuate Al-Hol camp" and take residents to a camp in Akhtarin, in the north of Aleppo province.


Protesters Block Beirut Roads after Cabinet Approves New Taxes that Raise Fuel Prices

Taxi drivers, foreground, block a main highway with their cars during a protest against the increased taxes and gasoline prices issued by the Lebanese Cabinet on Monday, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
Taxi drivers, foreground, block a main highway with their cars during a protest against the increased taxes and gasoline prices issued by the Lebanese Cabinet on Monday, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
TT

Protesters Block Beirut Roads after Cabinet Approves New Taxes that Raise Fuel Prices

Taxi drivers, foreground, block a main highway with their cars during a protest against the increased taxes and gasoline prices issued by the Lebanese Cabinet on Monday, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
Taxi drivers, foreground, block a main highway with their cars during a protest against the increased taxes and gasoline prices issued by the Lebanese Cabinet on Monday, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

Protesters blocked main roads in and around Beirut on Tuesday after Lebanon’s Cabinet approved new taxes that raise fuel prices and other products to fund public pay hikes.

The Cabinet approved a tax of 300,000 Lebanese pounds (about $3.30) on every 20 liters (5.3 gallons) of gasoline on Monday. Diesel fuel was exempted from the new tax, as most in Lebanon depend on it to run private generators to make up for severe shortages in state electricity.

The government also agreed to increase the value-added tax on all products already subject to the levy from 11 to 12%, which the parliament still has to approve, The Associated Press said.

The tax increases are to support raises and pension boosts of public employees, after wages lost value in the 2019 currency collapse, giving them the equivalent of an additional six months’ salary. Information Minister Paul Morcos said the pay increases were estimated to cost about $800 million.

Though the Mediterranean country sits on one of the largest gold reserves in the Middle East, it suffers ongoing inflation and widespread corruption. The cash-strapped country also suffered about $11 billion in damages in the 2024 war between Israel and the Hezbollah militant group.

Anger over fuel hike Ghayath Saadeh, one of a group of taxi drivers who blocked a main road leading into downtown Beirut, said the country’s leaders “consider us taxi drivers to be garbage.”

“Everything is getting more expensive, food and drinks, and Ramadan is coming,” he said. “We will block all the roads, God willing, if they don’t respond to us.”

When the Lebanese government proposed new taxes in 2019, including a $6 monthly fee for using internet calls through services such as WhatsApp, mass protests broke out that paralyzed the country for months. Demonstrators called for the country’s leaders to step down over widespread corruption, government paralysis and failing infrastructure, and for an end to the country’s sectarian power-sharing system.

Lebanon has been under international pressure to make financial reforms for years, but has so far made little progress.

Weapons plan discussed

Also Monday, the cabinet received a report from the Lebanese army on its progress on a plan to disarm non-state militant groups in the country, including Hezbollah.

Last month, the army announced it had completed the first phase of the plan, covering the area south of the Litani River, near the border with Israel. The second phase of the plan will cover segments of southern Lebanon between the Litani and the Awali rivers, which includes the port city of Sidon.

Morcos, the information minister, said following the cabinet session that the second stage is expected to take four months but could be extended “depending on the available resources, the continuation of Israeli attacks and the obstacles on the ground.”

The disarmament plan comes after a US-brokered ceasefire nominally ended a war between Hezbollah and Israel in November 2024. Since then, Israel has accused Hezbollah of rebuilding and has continued to launch near-daily strikes in Lebanon and to occupy several hilltop points on the Lebanese side of the border.

Hezbollah has insisted that the ceasefire deal only requires it to disarm south of the Litani and that it will not discuss disarming in the rest of the country until Israel stops its strikes and withdraws from all Lebanese territory.