The Fourth High Criminal Court stripped 10 defendants from their Bahraini citizenship and sentenced nine to life imprisonment. They had been charged with forming an outlawed group that plotted "terror" attacks, smuggling arms and ammunition into Bahrain, traveling to Iran and Iraq for military training and possessing arms and ammunition.
Attorney General Ahmed al-Hammadi said that the Fourth High Criminal Court issued on Tuesday a verdict against 10 defendants, sentencing nine of them to life imprisonment over charges of association with a terrorist group, while sentencing the tenth to one month imprisonment and a fine of 100 dinars for possession of a sword without a license from the competent authorities, also revoking the nationality of all the defendants.
The prosecution relied on evidence from prosecution witnesses, confessions of the accused, and technical evidence, including reports of the forensic evidence directorate.
It said it was informed on the arrest of a terrorist group, “and investigations indicated that a person, who moved and was deceased in Iraq, was recruiting Bahraini elements before traveling in order to send them to Iraq and Iran to receive military training."
He was able to establish a terrorist group inside Bahrain to carry out terrorist attacks aiming at destabilizing Bahrain. After fleeing Bahrain before his death in 2014, he managed to recruit three convicts in the same case, all who fled to Iran.
The report also included a fourth convict who recruited six convicts in the case and facilitated and arranged for seven convicts to travel to Iran for military training and to receive shipments of weapons and materials used in the manufacture of explosive materials after their return.
Three convicts in the case provided secret caches of weapons received by the cell from Iran. The three suspects were also helped to flee to Iraq early in 2014 to receive military training and carry out terrorist operations in Bahrain.