Everton Need to Rebalance Quickly as Time Runs out for David Unsworth

Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth. (Reuters)
Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth. (Reuters)
TT

Everton Need to Rebalance Quickly as Time Runs out for David Unsworth

Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth. (Reuters)
Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth. (Reuters)

L’Équipe’s headline on Thursday morning read “Un air de KO” and that’s what came to pass for Everton on a night in Lyon where there had been an air of inevitability if not resignation in the buildup, the team’s third match under the caretaker management of David Unsworth and ultimately their third defeat.

Lyon, as Chelsea and Leicester had before them, had too much for a side with barely a goal threat and though again there were promising signs from a side heavy on youth and in which Ademola Lookman put in a fine performance, on the left wing and then right, there was a familiarity about the way Everton imploded soon after they conceded.

As auditions for the top job go Unsworth could hardly have been handed a tougher run of games, the previous two Premier League champions away from home and now the fourth-placed finisher in France who reached last season’s Europa League semi-finals.

He probably has only Sunday’s home game against Watford to press his claim for the manager’s job now but with interviews reportedly taking place this week, and names as diverse as Sean Dyche, Guus Hiddink and, more alarmingly for many, Sam Allardyce in the frame, it is likely he will soon be back in his role with the under-21s. Unsworth has been here before and should bounce back, though his previous dabble as caretaker in 2016 at the end of the Roberto Martínez era saw him pick four of his boys and oversee a 3-0 win against Norwich City with some guidance from Joe Royle.

That theme persisted in Lyon, with Jonjoe Kenny and Beni Baningime named as starters and Morgan Feeney, an 18-year-old center-back and season-ticket holder, on the bench as the seriously unbalanced squad constructed by the director of football, Steve Walsh, and the now sacked Ronald Koeman stuck to a gameplan and created a couple of decent chances until the now familiar implosion.

Everton’s previous with caretakers is not the best, Steve Burtenshaw scraping together two draws from four games in the spell between Billy Bingham and Gordon Lee in 1977, Jimmy Gabriel, who had one win from one in 1991, picking up a single point from 21 in the period between Howard Kendall II and Mike Walker in 1993-94, and Dave Watson accruing six points from 21 when he filled the role between Royle and Kendall III in 1997.

Watford on Sunday is the final game before the international break and thankfully for Unsworth it is at home. With the team in the bottom three a win is imperative, even if the caretaker all but accepts that his chances of the top job are slim at best, his stats joining the others on a largely forgotten page on the club’s website.

“Sunday is a huge game for me, a huge game for the club, and I’ve left the players in no uncertain terms it’s a huge one for them as well,” he said after the 3-0 loss at Lyon in which he fielded a false No9 in Gylfi Sigurdsson, saw his team stay in the game for 68 minutes and then watched them fold after an unlucky ricochet set up the opener. “I’m sure they will respond and I’m sure the Goodison faithful will get behind us all … we need three points on Sunday. I have told them what I’ve seen and how I think we can move forward, and what I think is required. I think [what I said] is best left in the dressing room.

“Sunday is a cup final for me, I’ll be doing everything I can to make sure everybody is prepared. I’ll pick a team to win against a decent Watford team. We just can’t cave in when we concede; that’s something we need to rectify very, very quickly.”

To that end he should have the services of the 30-something former England trio of Leighton Baines, Phil Jagielka and Wayne Rooney to call upon after leaving them behind for the game that confirmed their departure from the Europa League. Oumar Niasse is also available after thoughtlessly being omitted from the Uefa list by Koeman.

Getting out of the bottom three is the bigger issue and for a club who used to pride themselves on standing by their managers two have been sacked, at great expense, in less than two seasons as the majority shareholder, Farhad Moshiri, looks for the winning formula. A lot of his thought and business planning, if not yet that much of his money, has been invested in Everton’s future, with a site secured for a £300m new stadium at Bramley Moor dock and the deal facilitated by a council-backed loan repayable over 40 years.

Relegation does not feature in the thinking as the loan has to be repaid regardless of league status, with monies from parachute payments, transfer fees and regular income being due to the council in the event that the club start to default. Forty years is a long time to guarantee Premier League football – even for a team who have spent only three seasons outside the top flight since their inception – as is the wait until January, when the new manager will have to sign the striker that Koeman and Walsh so recklessly chose to do without when selling Romelu Lukaku for an initial £75m in the summer.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.