Hariri Returns to Lebanon on Wednesday to Discuss his Resignation

French President Emmanuel Macron receives resigned Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri at the Elysee Palace. (AFP)
French President Emmanuel Macron receives resigned Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri at the Elysee Palace. (AFP)
TT

Hariri Returns to Lebanon on Wednesday to Discuss his Resignation

French President Emmanuel Macron receives resigned Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri at the Elysee Palace. (AFP)
French President Emmanuel Macron receives resigned Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri at the Elysee Palace. (AFP)

Resigned Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri announced on Saturday that he will be present in Lebanon on Wednesday to attend the country’s Independence Day celebrations.

He made his remarks from Paris where he received a warm reception by President Emmanuel Macron.

The Lebanese official, his wife and son were treated to a lunch at the Elysee presidential palace by Macron and his wife Brigitte.

This marks the second time that the two officials meet. They had previously held talks in Paris in September. Macron would later that month receive President Michel Aoun.

Prior to Hariri’s arrival in Paris, Macron had telephoned Aoun, who thanked him for his “efforts towards Lebanon,” said Elysee sources.

Hariri had arrived in Paris from the Saudi Arabian capital Riyadh early on Saturday.

He thanked Macron for his “generous hospitality”, praising France on its “very positive role” in the region. He also highlighted the “historic” French-Lebanese ties.

On the political level, Hariri remained reticent, saying that he will be present in Lebanon for Independence Day.

“I will make my political stance after meeting with the president of the republic,” he stated.

He reiterated that he had tendered his resignation and that he will discuss this issue in Lebanon.

The Lebanese presidency confirmed on its official Twitter account that Hariri will be present in Lebanon on November 22.

This has not ended however speculation that Hariri would pay a visit to an Arab capital or two, such as Cairo and Amman, prior to his return to Beirut.

French presidential sources said that Macron’s invitation to Hariri to visit Paris was aimed at easing tensions and finding a solution to the crisis that erupted with the PM’s resignation on November 4.

Paris is aware that its role has not ended yet and it is aware of the depth of Lebanon’s crisis. Hariri’s resignation was merely a reflection of this crisis, said the sources.

They announced that Paris was ready to reach an agreement with United Nations chief Antonio Guterres and American and European officials to call for a meeting for the “International Support Group for Lebanon” to address the country’s crisis. The meeting could also see the participation of concerned foreign ministers.

The sources added however that no decision has yet been taken to hold this meeting.

If it is held, then it will be aimed at providing political support for Lebanon and pushing it towards preserving its stability.

The French concern has from the start been “protecting Lebanon’s stability and enabling its institutions to work normally.”

Paris is therefore continuing in communicating with all “influential sides on the Lebanese scene in order to provide a safety net for the country.”

To this end, Macron and French diplomatic efforts will continue to contact all sides, including Iran.

French officials on Saturday repeatedly underscored the need for Lebanon to adhere to its policy of disassociation from regional conflicts. The abandonment of this policy was one of the primary reasons that led Hariri to resign.

The question remains: what will happen after Hariri returns to Beirut?

French circles do not hide the fact that Paris, as well as Washington and a number of European capitals, are concerned over the situation in Lebanon.

They believe that Hariri’s return to Lebanon does not resolve the crisis, but it puts it out in the open in the country.

The circles refuse to have Paris to play the role of problem-solver at the expense of Lebanese officials to avoid being portrayed as a meddler in Lebanese affairs. They stressed that the Lebanese officials and politicians are responsible for resolving their crisis themselves.

Paris does however stress the need to preserve “internal Lebanese political balances”. It also underlines the need for the establishment of a strong state that alone has control over security issues and protecting Lebanon. This effectively means tackling the contentious issue of “Hezbollah’s” possession of arms.

On Macron’s telephone call with Aoun, the French sources said that Paris wants to play the role of “facilitator” in dialogue between various Lebanese factions.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.