Saudi Arabia Reiterates Support to Syrians

Syrian Opposition's second expanded meeting in Riyadh (SPA)
Syrian Opposition's second expanded meeting in Riyadh (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Reiterates Support to Syrians

Syrian Opposition's second expanded meeting in Riyadh (SPA)
Syrian Opposition's second expanded meeting in Riyadh (SPA)

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel bin Ahmed al-Jubeir reiterated Saudi Arabia's support to the Syrian people, adding that it is important to end their suffering in accordance with the Declaration of Geneva and UN Resolution 2254.

Speaking at the launch of the Syrian Opposition's second expanded meeting in Riyadh, Jubeir welcomed the members of Syrian opposition in the Kingdom and hoped their efforts be successful.

In his speech, Jubeir said the meeting comes amid international consensus on the importance of reaching a political solution to the Syria crisis. He addressed the attendees: "You are now facing a historic responsibility to end the crisis that long strained these dear people."

He stressed that the Syrian people can no longer tolerate and are waiting to see a solution.

Jubeir stated that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will always stand by the side of the Syrian people, as firm as it has been, confirming: “We will provide help and support for them in all what they need."

He said that there would be no solution for the Syria crisis without Syrian consensus that would achieve the aspirations of the people who look forward to see their suffering coming to an end based on Geneva I declaration and UN Security Council resolution No. 2254.

For his part, UN special envoy for the Syrian crisis Staffan de Mistura demanded that the Syrian opposition form a unified delegation to Geneva talks to reach a political solution for the Syria crisis.

He said: "Within few days we are going to put a framework for the political process in Syria," adding that the Riyadh meeting aims at reactivating Geneva negotiations.

The Syrian opposition conference will conclude on Thursday and included about 150 delegates who arrived in Saudi Arabia with the aim of reaching a unified delegation.

Former President National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces, Anas al-Abdah, believed the conference came at the right time given that the Syrian revolution is going through its most critical political stage, especially with the changing regional and international situations.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Abdah said the conference will grant Syrians the opportunity to say what they really want to say, adding that Syrians will have a clear idea of the nature of the solution to which they aspire.

Abdah thanked Saudi Arabia for organizing and preparing this conference, saying: "After this conference, we will have a new round of Geneva negotiations. The opposition will have an opportunity to unify its forces within one delegation."

He explained that the committee will be represented by a delegation broader than before and it will have the experience needed to negotiate. He also added that the committee will have a clearer idea of how it can effectively achieve the needed solution.

Abdah admitted to the presence of major challenges facing them, but at the same time, he said the Syrian representatives are before several opportunities. He said the situation on the ground was risky, but he believed that through effective political work the opposition can achieve the best thing during the current stage.

"There is no doubt that it [current stage] is a regionally and internationally difficult stage for both the Syrian people and revolution," concluded Abdah.

Marah al-Bekai, who represents independent opposition figures in the preparatory committee, said that the committee had been preparing for the conference for a week, adding that she is pleased with all the results achieved because they have been "fully Syrian."

Bekai reiterated that Saudi Arabia had been completely impartial even though it hosted and supported the conference. She added that Minister Jubeir confirmed that the Declaration of Geneve is the reference "which is very important."

"Jubeir's reiteration to go into the negotiations as a strong delegation is very important," she said, adding that the negotiation delegation should be prepared to face all international pressures regarding the Syrian situation.

Bekai also lauded the speech delivered by UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura, who also confirmed the role of Syrian women in the delegation.

Bekai explained that candidatures will begin on Thursday and will be consensual, not through elections. She also stated that the preparatory committee has the mission of forming the delegation as well as a political statement, and had prepared a draft that will be announced once the attendees had agreed upon it.

Bekai stated that the committee suggested the new negotiation delegation be comprised of 30 to 33 members to be approved by the conference.

Hawas Khalil, representative of the Kurdish National Council, repeated that the main purpose of this conference is to combine the opposition within a unified political vision, which will include all opposition forces as well as the Cairo and Moscow platforms.

"We want to reach the transitional stage where this regime has no power or political role," said Khalil.

Khalil said that the conference will be a chance to discuss the negotiation political strategy and evaluate the role of the High Negotiation Committee during the previous stage.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.